• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
In reading recent arguments, I have decided to change my vote in A-18 to Team Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho. I will edit my original post.
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I have to agree with egoist in opposing Team Rocket. The group's main goal throughout the show's entire run has been to take over the world of Pokemon. So far, they haven't made any major advancements in those goals.

Well, this may be the goal of Team Rocket on paper, but does anyone really expect Team Rocket to succeed in this intentionally cheesily evil goal? Secondly, I do not believe that the core trio never had this goal ingrained into their minds -- instead they were fixated on haplessly trying to capture Pikachu while making glorious fools out of themsleves in the process. If this team loses, I doubt that any comedic relief team will make any signiifcant advancement in this tournament, and that's a shame since one of the strongest and most balanced teams in this tournament falls in this category and I'm not talking about Team Rocket.

Silliness, and not getting anything done doesn't mean a team is weak; some teams were not made to do this.

On a side note, I am also changing my vote to Soyokaze Crew -- I have no idea why I voted for Game Club in the first place. They are a team that tries to kill each other for about the half the time they appear. Then boom, the plot throws a curve ball at you and tries to convince the audience through a ridiculous plot twist that all of that trying to kill each other business was just something that was beyond the control of the team. After that the team, kicks serious ass, but it's too late and it seems almost forced.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this may be one of the biggest flurries of late vote changes we've ever had.

The numbers Ggultra2764 posted earlier are off a little in A-18 and possibly A-20, BTW. (I know I'm correct on the former - Ggultra, I think you missed my vote change yesterday - and I'm going to double-check on the latter.)

In any case, we have four matches that could potentially go down to the wire (including one team that I thought had a safe lead yesterday but now doesn't), so this round isn't over by any means yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Basically, since they've been made to be a failure team, never to achieve success and at that they've been quite productive, and because of that they are a strong team ~ is what you're trying to say?
Sorry, I'll never agree with that. I have no idea how they beat SOS brigade to begin with. Having this team going any further will make this tournament mediocre.
You should be glad a team like this managed to advance a round.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
Well, this may be the goal of Team Rocket on paper, but does anyone really expect Team Rocket to succeed in this intentionally cheesily evil goal? Secondly, I do not believe that the core trio never had this goal ingrained into their minds -- instead they were fixated on haplessly trying to capture Pikachu while making glorious fools out of themsleves in the process. If this team loses, I doubt that any comedic relief team will make any signiifcant advancement in this tournament, and that's a shame since one of the strongest and most balanced teams in this tournament falls in this category and I'm not talking about Team Rocket.

That's all true. But I don't think it's enough for Team Rocket to beat Team Urameshi with. Team Rocket might have a solid bond under the conditions outlined, but what do they do with that? Despite Yu Yu Hakusho and Pokemon being different types of series, Team Urameshi has an edge in the way they use their teamwork to overcome obstacles. They received more opportunities to seriously pass trials that proved, undeniably, their strength as group. Again, I recognize that as comic relief, Team Rocket won't have as many of chances like those, but getting to see it so clearly displayed for Team Urameshi makes a greater impression.
Yubsie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Still mostly going on impressions I get from the thread and guide.

Group A-17
Section 9, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Group A-18

Team Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho

Team Rocket is somewhat hampered by the fact that... they can't even manage to steal one little Pikachu. They accomplish comic relief, but not any of their alleged in universe goals.

Group A-19

Amaterasu crew, Starship Operators

Group A-20

Hellsing Organization, Hellsing franchise

Group A-21
Colonel Mustang’s squadron, Fullmetal Alchemist

Group A-22
Seishu Prefab Team, Cross Game

The arguments for this team last round left a really good impression on me.

Group A-23

Knight Sabers, Bubblegum Crisis franchise

Not terribly familiar with Bubblegum Crisis, but the Knight Sabers give me the impression they've got it more together than Trapnest.

Group A-24

Soyokaze crew, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly enough, I'm not quite as late this time around. Wink

Group A-17
Section 9, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Nadesico crew, Martian Successor Nadesico

Voting for: Section 9

Hmm...what the Nadesico crew has in terms of likeability and charisma doesn't quite make them a match for Section 9 as far as efficiency and teamwork are concerned, though they're still a respectable team in their own right.

Group A-18
Team Rocket, Pokemon franchise
vs.
Team Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho

Voting for: Team Urameshi

I'm not much of a fan, either way, but I feel some pretty good points have been made both for and against the two teams in question. That being the case, the main factors I'm taking into consideration here are success and growth.

They aren't necessarily essential for this kind of tournament per se, but can and do help tip the balance in specific instances.

Group A-19
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.
Amaterasu crew, Starship Operators

Voting for: Amaterasu crew

Even after reading what both sides have to say this match remains something of a tough decision, particularly since Ggultra2764 has made a strong case for the Paper Sisters, but I'm ultimately voting for the Amaterasu crew mainly based on Key's arguments.

Group A-20
Magic User's Club, Magic User's Club
vs.
Hellsing Organization, Hellsing franchise

Voting for: Magic User's Club

I was expecting this to be a throwaway vote, but it actually went through much more of a flip-flop than the matter probably deserved. The Magic User's Club won out because Hellsing doesn't particularly impress me. Additionally, the guide entry and a couple of comments make them sound more interesting and willing to back each other up. Still, I'm not sure this is the right choice.

That's not enough to truly convince me of their worth, unfortunately, but for now that will have to do.

Group A-21
Colonel Mustang’s squadron, Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
NERV, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Voting for: NERV

I was fairly undecided here, but in the end I'll have to go with the option I'm slightly more familiar with.

To sum things up, it seems like Colonel Mustang's squadron would be a great team in theory but simply lacked a good opportunity to fully showcase its real or perceived qualities.

In other circumstances that wouldn't be very important, but it does make a difference here. NERV's record is not exactly flawless, far from it, but I'd prefer to see them lose against a significantly superior opponent.

Group A-22
Seishu Prefab Team, Cross Game
vs.
Le Secret du Roi, Le Chevalier d’Eon

Votiring for: Le Secret du Roi

I originally intended to vote for the Seishu Prefab Team, but after going over the guides and posts I have to admit that it's difficult to judge their full potential at this point in time while their opposition sounds interesting and extremely competent overall, in spite of their internal conflicts that will probably bring them down in later rounds.

And on a purely personal note, this reminds me of the fact that I'm horribly behind as far as watching Cross Game goes. Sad

Group A-23
Trapnest, NANA
vs.
Knight Sabers, Bubblegum Crisis franchise

Voting for: Knight Sabers

They have a couple of weaknesses, sure, but Trapnest doesn't really appear to be a compelling alternative. At least for the time being, I'll give the Bubblegum Crisis crew my support.

Group A-24
Game Club, When They Cry/Higurashi no Naku Koroni franchise
vs.
Soyokaze crew, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Voting for: Game Club

This one was a tough choice. It's not a secret that I enjoyed Higurashi but I also happen to like Tylor himself and the main Soyokaze crew. Still, I do have to choose.

The fact that the Game Club's virtues as a team started to show themselves very late in the first series isn't a problem for me.

Considering their unique circumstances and the existence of a second season, they do have a good amount of visible development as a team regardless of all the coincidences and melodramatic or cheesy moments involved.

At heart, the club members are good people who struggle against fate and helping each other overcome distrust allows them to create strong bonds, which they then put to the test quite selflessly. While there are certainly nitpicks in terms of execution and credibility, for me the nature of the story's underlying theme definitely works in their favor.

Having said that, I regret not being able to vote for the Soyokaze crew since they also develop into a likeable and even tight-knit bunch. I suppose one could say that the crew's working relationship with Tylor wasn't exactly flowing smoothly from the beginning either. That was usually played for laughs, rather than tragedy or drama, but strictly speaking their chemistry was often very dysfunctional in nature, particularly earlier rather than later, and while they do learn to care for each other, including but not limited to Tylor, the result doesn't quite have the same kind of dramatic urgency in my opinion.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Key hasn't officially declared Group B to start yet. But he has posted the results to the Round 2, Group A matches. Here they are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

Final results can be found here. Lots of activity late, with the Rockets and Urameshi undergoing multiple lead changes before Team Urameshi pulled it out by a mere 16-13. Hellsing won by a similarly slim margin, while two victories were even tighter; Paper Sisters came back to barely edge out the Amaterasu crew (the development which annoys me the most, even though it's much better for my minigame - I was looking forward to selling the latter's merits with video clips) while Game Club just barely held off an unexpectedly furious late charge from the Soyokaze crew. The only real blow-outs were in favor of Section 9 and the Knight Sabers. Seeing a return back up to 29 votes after last week's weak performance was also gratifying.

PLEASE READ
And speaking of video clips, I may need some help on that front. ccdx has been our video clip master pretty much since we started using video clips in these tournaments, but I have not heard from him at all since the last tournament ended so I have doubts that we can count on him this time. Assuming that's the case, I am looking for a couple of volunteers who are skilled with video clips, have sizable anime libraries (or easy capability to get fansubs), and are familiar with a significant number of the series involved to help out with this, since my own skill with making video clips is minimal. (Still haven't gotten down how to splice, for instance.) I'd like to get started working on the already-known titles by no later than this coming weekend, as I want to be able to stay at least a couple of weeks agead on this.

If you are qualified and interested in helping out, please PM me with a description of your experience. Do also note that committing to this means being active and involved in the process for the rest of the tournament.

If you're not a video clip-making maven but still want to contribute, I'll happily take recommendations for clips showing off the team work or organizational merit of Group A's winners.

New round should be up very shortly.

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group B is now closed.

We had a lot of close matches last group; will we see a repeat here? Let's get down to business!

Group B-17
Seven Samurai, Samurai 7
vs.
Black Knights, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Winner: Seven Samurai
Total: 19-5

Group B-18
Straw Hat Pirates, One Piece
vs.
British Library Operations Division, Read or Die franchise

Winner: Straw Hat Pirates
Total: 23-1

Group B-19
Tokyo Metropolitan Police Special Vehicles Section 2, Patlabor franchise
vs.
Outlaw Star crew, Outlaw Star

Winner: Outlaw Star
Total: 16-8

Group B-20
Parakiss Label, Paradise Kiss
vs.
Magic Knights, Magic Knight Rayearth

Winner: ParaKiss Label
Total: 15-9

Group B-21
State Section 3 (aka Pumpkin Scissors), Pumpkin Scissors
vs.
Slayers team, Slayers franchise

Winner: Pumpkin Scissors
Total: 15-9

Group B-22
Shibusen, Soul Eater
vs.
Hotel Moscow, Black Lagoon

Winner: Hotel Moscow
Total: 20-4

Group B-23
Beck, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
vs.
Crescendolls, Interstalla 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

Winner: Beck
Total: 21-3

Group B-24
Skull Squadron, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
vs.
Gekkostate, Eureka 7

Winner: Gekkostate
Total: 18-6

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Only 10 points for Round 2-A. Bleh.

Match B-17: Seven Samurai (Samurai 7)
Still have issues with the members of the Black Knights being largely dependent on Zero for leadership in some of their major victories so my vote goes to the Seven Samurai.

Match B-18: Straw Hat Pirates (One Piece)

Match B-19: Outlaw Star crew (Outlaw Star)
Going with them by default since I haven't heard anything about Patlabor.

Match B-20: Magic Knights (Magical Knight RayEarth)
From what I've read up on them, the Magic Knights have to worry about putting their lives at risk when working as a team.

Match B-21: Pumpkin Scissors (Pumpkin Scissors)

Match B-22: Shibusen (Soul Eater)

Match B-23: Beck (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad)
In a battle of music bands, I would admire the struggling efforts of Beck to make to the top more.

Match B-24: Gekko State (Eureka 7)
Going with what I know again. I've never seen Macross before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Might as well start off with early voting this round.

Group B-17
Seven Samurai, Samurai 7
vs.

Seven Samurai

Both teams are loaded with merits and strengths, especially when it comes to achievements. However, the Black Knights suffer from some confusion from leadership, betrayal, and an over-reliance on its leader. None of these weakness are found with the Seven Samurai,

Group B-18
vs.

Straw Hats

They may not come from the most liked series in the world, but for a team where teamwork and helping each other is emphasized this is an easy choice against an opponent that barely squeaked by last round.

Group B-19
vs.

Outlaw Star Crew

Group B-20
vs.

Parakiss Label

This team will suffer due to lack of familiarity, but there's no doubt that they should win based on their amazing chemistry and slick ability to do the thing that they do efficiently and effectively. They also have this quality about them where they seem to keep each other in check; almost like a bond stronger than just peers in the same area of expertise.

The main edge the knights have is that they face more life and death situations, but I do not believe that this is substantial advantage more realistic teams that face challenges and overcome them deserve equal credit even if life and limb are not risked.

Group B-21
vs.

Slayers Team

Will have to root for the underdog and classic team here. Both teams are fairly strong, but the Slayers Team has more stronger level of interaction when it comes to their team.

Group B-22
Shibusen, Soul Eater
vs.

Hotel Moscow

Brutal, efficient, and gets the job done. Their glaring weakness is that only a fraction of the story focuses on this organization. In fact, only a few of the members besides the leader are even named. This puts a damper on group dynamics and interaction. Since only the leader has a strong sense of identity and development.

Group B-23
vs.

Beck

Still shocked and awed that the Crescendolls made it past last round despite having no dialogue. Beck is not a pushover group either, boasting being one of the most grounded and developed band teams in this tournament.

Group B-24
vs.
Gekkostate, Eureka 7

Gekkostate

Was impressed by the arguments made for this team last round. If they continue, this team may be able to go quite far.

Last edited by farichada on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
Seven Samurai, Samurai 7
vs.

While I still think many people weren't giving the Black Knights enough credit for their strength as an organization last round (especially their effectiveness with Zero leading them), they have a tougher opponent here. I'm giving the slight edge to the Seven Samurai because, while I've only seen bits and pieces of the series, what I have seen has impressed me.

Group B-18
vs.

Probably won't be much of a contest. The Straw Hat Pirates get the edge here.

Group B-19
vs.

This one is a very tough match to call based on merit, as both groups have equal strengths and flaws. On a virtual coin toss, I give the edge to Section 2.

Group B-20
vs.

Convince me here, people, since I've only seen a little of each series. For the moment I'll go with Parakiss, but this vote is subject to change.

Group B-21
vs.

No chance of change here. Pumpkin Scissors has quite a bit of merit as an organization and has the teamwork, successes, and internal chemistry to back it up. Slayers just doesn't impress me as much as a group.

Group B-22
Shibusen, Soul Eater
vs.

Probably the round's biggest blow-out? Sorry, Shibusen, but Hotel Moscow is a force to be reckoned with in this tournament. Whether or not they're the best organization is another story, but their only weakness is their smaller amount of screen time.

Group B-23
vs.

The Crescendolls had their fun, but they're not good enough to advance to the third round. Based on what I've heard, Beck is.

Group B-24
vs.
Gekkostate, Eureka 7

Gekkostate may have their flaws, but at the end of the day they get just as much accomplished and have a stronger group identity than any version of Skull Squadron.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Olliff extends his lead to 7 points this round (the eleventh hour surge that boosted Team Urameshi past team rocket prevented him from taking a double digit lead), sitting at 68. In a three-way tie for second are Key, mow, and Aylinn (61). Going down the line we have marie-antoinette (60), dtm (59), guet (58), and Hentai_JP (57). Ggultra is joined by animnafets in ninth at 56 points. The King of Harts and murph are two points back from them (54), and Mushi-Man is another 2 back from those two (52). DerekTheRed and Past are right behind with 51, and rounding out the list we have egoist (46), xxsnowypetalxx (43), and sailorsarah (38).

By the way, I plugged the random bracket I made into the scoring system. That's sitting pretty at 34 (had been 28 at the end of the first round).

Results here.

A bit of positive news to make up for the general inaccuracy in group D: at 65.2% correct, this is the second best round 2 group out of all the records I have (The best was group B-2 of the Hero Tourney, 67.6%).
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
New brackets and Mini-game scores updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Key wrote:
ccdx has been our video clip master pretty much since we started using video clips in these tournaments, but I have not heard from him at all since the last tournament ended so I have doubts that we can count on him this time.

There is no need to worry. I will be making video clips again. As long as there are tournaments on ANN, I will be there to help.

I sincerely apologize for not updating the website more regularly, and not posting here too much. As you can imagine my free time is dwindling partly due to the economic situation. Having to work longer hours and all that stuff...

Anyway, as I was saying Video clips will indeed start next round and as always I hope I can receive some help from you voters.

I have watched many of the series still left in the tournament, but not all of them. I would appreciate it if any of you who strongly support a certain team and want to see them move on PM with suggested scenes that show off their amazing teamwork. I'll need to know the following.

1. What team?
2. What episode does the scene occur and at what time index? (ex. from ep. 3, 11:45 - 18:21)
3. A brief description of what happens in the scene. (if your time indexes are off, I need know this information to find the clip.)
4. Clips can be any length from any point in the who series. Nothing is off limits.
5. Feel free to suggests as many scenes as you want from as many series as you want. The more the better.

The video clips for Group A will be done by this coming Sunday, so if you have any for this group, please PM before then.

Again, sorry for delays. I will try to be better about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 70