• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Two more kick ass episodes. That old guy is odd, the way he keeps popping up. Where the hell did he go ?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
Two more kick ass episodes. That old guy is odd, the way he keeps popping up. Where the hell did he go ?

I dunno- he's similar to the weird old guy in Eureka Seven. I brought that up a few pages and weeks back, suggesting the he was referencing some cultural context- an old folktale or stock character in traditional drama- that I was unfamiliar with. I got a bunch of fansub-watchers telling me with a wink that "It'll be explained eventually", as if I'm too stupid to figure out that it'll become important later on. That wound up with me starting a spin-off thread to see if anyone who wasn't following the series knew anything, and then getting the spin-off thread locked because the same catalogs of useless trivia followed me there.

Umm... sorry, little rant there.

Anyway, Nia called him "gramps", which could mean she knows him from her time in the Spiral King's place, but it could also be a vague translation of that Japanese word meaning "Old Man". I really don't know which, sorry.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I think he was just called "old man" in the subtitled episodes I watched, so she was probably using "gramps" in the colloquial sense.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I think he was just called "old man" in the subtitled episodes I watched, so she was probably using "gramps" in the colloquial sense.
Well, it could go ether way.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
just a FYI for anyone who hasn't heard the "news" (not really news as I could have checked this earlier)

Sci-fi is planning to show the last three episodes Back-to-Back-to-Back

that's episode 25, 26 and 27 all at once

those of you who have seen the series know how unforgettable those episodes are; those of you that haven't..OH HO you're in for a treat...
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
just a FYI for anyone who hasn't heard the "news" (not really news as I could have checked this earlier)

Sci-fi is planning to show the last three episodes Back-to-Back-to-Back

that's episode 25, 26 and 27 all at once

those of you who have seen the series know how unforgettable those episodes are; those of you that haven't..OH HO you're in for a treat...

Those are still a ways off though, aren't they? Didn't we just finish 11 and 12? Or I am confused again? Anime dazed old age does that to you sometimes...

I haven't been enjoying this series as much as NTHT, but it's still keeping me coming back every week. Even with the occasional breaks to dip back into the more forgettable parts of Manga's catalog, Sci-Fi is doing a nice job with these series. I hope they keep going with this Ani-Monday thing and that they can keep getting good material to put on it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Those are still a ways off though, aren't they? Didn't we just finish 11 and 12? Or I am confused again? Anime dazed old age does that to you sometimes...

no you are right it will be a while (November 10th) but trust me this is news as those are commonly considered the best episodes of the series
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...I'll be missing out on 4 episodes, maybe 6, of Gurren Lagann before I can get my satellite back. So I'll be dropping the broadcast and I'll watching this series on DVD instead. It's better that way- I can see it in HD. Twisted Evil Upscaled, of course. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Hmmm...I'll be missing out on 4 episodes, maybe 6, of Gurren Lagann before I can get my satellite back. So I'll be dropping the broadcast and I'll watching this series on DVD instead. It's better that way- I can see it in HD. Twisted Evil Upscaled, of course. Razz
In HD and without the random-ass commercial breaks.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
braves wrote:

Indeed. The commercials are almost murder on the entire pacing and timing of the series. At least [as] (IMO) makes up for the random changes in schedules with only having one commercial break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

They're not random, they come every 5 minutes. Laughing
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so my pacing on this series has been kinda whack. Not only because of Richard's rather inconsistent schedule of sending the episodes to me (it's all good though Rich, I can forgive you for that Smile ) but probably just as much how little time I seem to have to watch them most of the time. I just barely got done watching episodes 7 and 8 last night, and I do have 9 and 10 from him but who knows when I'll be able to actually watch them......

In any case, this series just continues to be one big invigorating, all up in your face awesomeness of a blast! Cool Totally my kind of series, no doubt, screw all the ciches. Of course fanservice still is a bother but that's just one minor flaw in my eyes. In fact if you'll notice, it's really closing in on my top 5 favorites.

But man, what a humongous freaking dramatic turn of events at the end of episode 8..... Shocked Crying or Very sad MAN did that take a lot of guts for the writers to pull off! I actually was slightly spoiled by it, at least as far as someone possspoiler[ibly dying in that episode goes anyways.] From the way it was being gone on about I had my suspicions it could've been spoiler[Kamina,] but I was hoping I wasn't going to be right. Darn it all, why did I have to be so darn smart!? Anime cry This series lost like 90% of it's heart and soul with that. I mean I don't doubt this series is still going to be dang good, especially from what most have said about this point onward, but spoiler[it's still a heavy, heavy loss.] I have to say though, spoiler[what an incredible way to go down! I think we all can live soundly knowing he went in such a fashion, totally fitting of him. ]

It had the opposite effect than what one would think in a similar situation though. Instead of not believing this series could possibly be as good from here on out, I'm actually very interested in how things will go from here.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
2 HUUM IT MAE KONSERN:

I edited my post from before concerning episode 4. It's located here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=614729#614729
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I really don't want to watch the recap episode, and I've been holding this in for a long time now.

Does she remind you of her?

I know that they are both Gainax characters, but honestly, she's like a carbon copy. I'm glad I saw TTGL first, so I can think of Gunbuster as the hack. (I didn't like it that much anyway.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Ok, I really don't want to watch the recap episode, and I've been holding this in for a long time now.

Does she remind you of her?

I know that they are both Gainax characters, but honestly, she's like a carbon copy. I'm glad I saw TTGL first, so I can think of Gunbuster as the hack. (I didn't like it that much anyway.)

i never noticed that before. they do sort of look alike.

... of course Yoko will never reach the planet destroying awesomeness of Diebuster. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 24