• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Tokyopop Discontinue DVD, Print Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
v1cious: They technically don't have Robotech. They're just distributing for Harmony Gold. Methinks they're going to do a re-release when that Maguire movie comes out, though.

Xtyfe: I'm still waiting until Otakon, or even AWA.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v1cious: They technically don't have Robotech. They're just distributing for Harmony Gold. Methinks they're going to do a re-release when that Maguire movie comes out, though.

I don't think this is anything to get in a twist over.

These five titles obviously are going out of print, both Gokujo Sentokai and Innocent Venus weren't big sellers at all.( think about it! This site actaully gave BSC some pretty critical reviews.) Plus 5 Ce per Second was only a limited release, mabye ADV is planning on licensing another Mokoto Shinkai film. As for Macross, HG has always owned the rights to it, considering that all of the former Streamline titles brought by ADV in 1999 expired this year including "Dirty Pair".

Think about it. This is normal, anime goes out of print all the time. ADV did the same thing to "Nadia" in 2003, it was discontinued less then a year of availibilty plus by the time I brought volume six of "New Wings" in November 2006,Kaleido Star had already gone out of print.

Yeah, at Okaton we'll learn more aobut what ADV is doing next, I'm assuming that thier new partner will be the parent company of "Gonzo" mabye a Toyko media conglomerate.
RayV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey I liked BSC. It was dumb but not as dumb as some things I've regretted watching.

ADV's site is getting hammered, wonder what's up.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
RayV wrote:
Hey I liked BSC. It was dumb but not as dumb as some things I've regretted watching. ADV's site is getting hammered, wonder what's up.
AS I do too. I'm just saying that ANN was very critical of it. ADV's site has been having problems all year long.
calimike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Is that official Death of Anime & Manga in North America? Question Sad
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
ARGH! No more Kindaichi!! I was really hoping they were going to continue it on a really slow release schedule because something is better then nothing. I am sad now. This title will likely never get picked up again and can join my Bride of Deimos in the pile of sadness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
brand: If that Gimmick! manga does well enough, someone else might pick up Kindaichi.
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Why do everyone seem to be surprise about these discontinue ADV titles? Sojitz hold the license for those except robotech and I doubt they will let ADV continue to sell thosel. Kurua : Phantom memory is licensed long ago before sojitz came, if they discontinue their own licensed,not the sojitz one, then I can say that they are in a big trouble.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
Is that official Death of Anime & Manga in North America? Question Sad

Being that Funimation recently announced it is taking over 30 of ADV's titles and many of the titles formerly distributed by Geneon, and is somewhat likely to end up with these 4 as well, I'm gonna say no...no it's not.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Did they finish releasing Best student council?
Yes, all six volumes are available. Best Student Council and Innocent Venus are at the Anime Corner Store (though 5cm is not. Sad ) The Right Stuf has 5cm listed but it's On Order from Manufacturer.

Don't know about other net 'tailers, I only trust those two.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

These five titles obviously are going out of print, both Gokujo Sentokai and Innocent Venus weren't big sellers at all.( think about it! This site actaully gave BSC some pretty critical reviews.) Plus 5 Ce per Second was only a limited release, mabye ADV is planning on licensing another Mokoto Shinkai film. As for Macross, HG has always owned the rights to it, considering that all of the former Streamline titles brought by ADV in 1999 expired this year including "Dirty Pair".

Think about it. This is normal, anime goes out of print all the time. ADV did the same thing to "Nadia" in 2003, it was discontinued less then a year of availibilty plus by the time I brought volume six of "New Wings" in November 2006,Kaleido Star had already gone out of print.

Yeah, at Okaton we'll learn more aobut what ADV is doing next, I'm assuming that thier new partner will be the parent company of "Gonzo" mabye a Toyko media conglomerate.

Hey, TT.... How was ADV's Alamo drafthouse showing you said you were going to?
I hear that it's been replaced by a Funi screening instead. Did Greefield talk about ADV's future like you thought he would?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I hear that it's been replaced by a Funi screening instead. Did Greefield talk about ADV's future like you thought he would?
It was a hush-hush event. George Manely, Chris Ayers and Amy Forsyte were there. Romnel Lee annouced that for the rest of the summer Funimation will hold the event and that ADV will resume screenings in September. In reguards to the screening it was "Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid" confirming that the lost Sojitz titles will soon resume production as Funimation/ADV colaborations this month.(meaning ADV will still handle ADR production) Ayers also said that Welcome to N.H.K. has just resumed production and should been availible in the fall.

Because Greenfield did not show up, Lee only hinted at what he was allowed to say. He annouced that once ADV resumes Alamo screenings, that there will be advance screenings of NEW titles. He also gave away a Blu-Ray copy of "Red Garden" and said that ADV will begin printing Blu-Ray titles next year. Manely assured everyone that ADV was just getting back on it's feet and that Greenfield "will spill the beans" at Otakon next month about what the name of thier new parner is and which direction the company is headed.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
samuelp wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

It was a hush-hush event. George Manely, Chris Ayers and Amy Forsyte were there. Romnel Lee annouced that for the rest of the summer Funimation will hold the event and that ADV will resume screenings in September. In reguards to the screening it was "Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid" confirming that the lost Sojitz titles will soon resume production as Funimation/ADV colaborations this month.(meaning ADV will still handle ADR production) Ayers also said that Welcome to N.H.K. has just resumed production and should been availible in the fall.

Because Greenfield did not show up, Lee only hinted at what he was allowed to say. He annouced that once ADV resumes Alamo screenings, that there will be advance screenings of NEW titles. He also gave away a Blu-Ray copy of "Red Garden" and said that ADV will begin printing Blu-Ray titles next year. Manely assured everyone that ADV was just getting back on it's feet and that Greenfield "will spill the beans" at Otakon next month about what the name of thier new parner is and which direction the company is headed.

Wow, sounds like quite a tense night.
Wait... did I hear your right, you said a blu-ray of Red Garden?
That... doesn't exist. There's no blu-ray release in Japan. Was it a BD-R? Because if they spent the insane amount of money pressing a batch of blu-ray discs that they can no longer sell since they don't have the license, well... That's a bit sad.

Perhaps it was an internal test project for moving to Blu-ray...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Would be nice to know if this affects to UK also - we still don't have 5cm/s on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
samuelp wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Wow, sounds like quite a tense night.
Wait... did I hear your right, you said a blu-ray of Red Garden?
That... doesn't exist. There's no blu-ray release in Japan. Was it a BD-R? Because if they spent the insane amount of money pressing a batch of blu-ray discs that they can no longer sell since they don't have the license, well... That's a bit sad.

Perhaps it was an internal test project for moving to Blu-ray...
It might have been an internal test project. I can't exactly remember the title but it was given away to someone who anwsered a Full Metal Panic trivia question. I assume it was "Red Garden".

Tense? Well ADV is very careful with it's PR department. They only say what thier contract tells them and use a certain context. The silence over the Sojitz fallout came from the fact that Greenfield at first really didn't know what was going on, and that once Ledford filled him in, he told all the VAs that ADV had decided to lay low until the fall. The Sojitz/ARM deal had ended in January, but ADV negociated with them to continue printing and licensing the titles until they finished production on them. Sojitz gave ADV a six month deadline to finish them, but when July rolled around there was no turning back.

As for NTUSA, Kadokawa Shoten was concerned that the magazine wasn't reaching to a broader base and that they already decided to pull the plug on it in September 2007, The reason why KS didn't offer the publication to others in the U.S. is because they were afraid of overcharging licensing and patent fees to other publishers and felt that it was in thier best interst to stop printing the magazine in the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6