• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One volume manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I've recently taken an interest in manga with only one volume... They are really quite nice for an afternoon read or a story where they aren't around twenty volumes or more. The problem is, I really haven't seen too many around. I've seen ION at the bookstore, and also Once Upon a Glashma, but nothing else. Could anyone tell me some more one volume manga, or point me to where I could find a list? Thanks. =)
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I only really own one: CLAMP's The One I Love, which I really enjoy^^ Although it's a one-shot it's an anthology of short stories. Still, it's short and sweet and you won't have to worry about a lacking plot or anything either.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
There's a manga called "Sexy Voice & Robo," that's one volume, albeit a large one. It's a set of stories following a spy/investigator girl and her dorky friend. It's good if you're in the mood for something different.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Domu : A Child's Dream is all you'll ever need. It's a classic award-winning sci-fi drama set in a block of apartments in the suburbs of Tokyo, and concerns the psychic battle fought by a young girl and an old, senile man. It's created by Katsuhiro Otomo, so if you've ever seen/read Akira, expect an earlier version of it on a smaller scale, yet nearly twice as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Biunny wrote:
I've recently taken an interest in manga with only one volume... They are really quite nice for an afternoon read or a story where they aren't around twenty volumes or more. The problem is, I really haven't seen too many around. I've seen ION at the bookstore, and also Once Upon a Glashma, but nothing else. Could anyone tell me some more one volume manga, or point me to where I could find a list? Thanks. =)

I'm a big fan of one volume manga and there's plenty out there to choose from but it's hard to make recommendations without knowing what your interests are.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Though both Beautiful People and Stigma are on the list of things I want to read, I haven't so far - Still, I heard both are very good, especially Stigma has got only praising reviews here in Germany, but it's really hard to find. It's even in full color!
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I highly recommend Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms by Fumiyo Kono (published by Last Gasp press). It's a beautiful manga about the effects of the Hiroshima bombings. It's has sort of an ephemeral, slice-of-life feel (and a simple, cute artstyle as well) but at the same time, the characters are realistic and it's very bittersweet. By all means, check it out.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
I highly recommend Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms by Fumiyo Kono (published by Last Gasp press). It's a beautiful manga about the effects of the Hiroshima bombings. It's has sort of an ephemeral, slice-of-life feel (and a simple, cute artstyle as well) but at the same time, the characters are realistic and it's very bittersweet. By all means, check it out.

Better be quick. I just bought and finished it last Saturday through a bit of personal connection, for it was one of less than two dozens of new books of it in Taiwan. While it was one of the best manga I've ever read, its sale number was really miserable, and most circulating books have been recalled and recycled. Anime cry I wonder if it fares better in US.

Speaking of the book itself, it's really repulsive to see spoiler[Japanese themselves looking down upon atomic bomb survivors.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
You might also try This Thread. Other users have listed some of their favorite one-shot titles and the reason that they like them.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Biunny wrote:
I've recently taken an interest in manga with only one volume... They are really quite nice for an afternoon read or a story where they aren't around twenty volumes or more. The problem is, I really haven't seen too many around.

I know the feeling. I hope this link works. There is a list from an Amazon user that gives many different one-shot titles. The link to the one-shot discussion is also really helpful. I had to check it out myself!

http://www.amazon.com/One-shot-Works/lm/R37CVLOIO5A341/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full
rahzenshia-rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I know there are a lot of yaoi manga from June Manga that are a mixture of short stories. I also know of CLAMPs "Legend of Chun Hyang" and "Miyuki-chan in Wonderland" (This one is kinda like Alice in Wonderland only really REALLY weird...)

I kinda like the one volume manga...it's cheaper to own the whole series that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1