• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was the best year for anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I just think the proportion of crap has increased over the past decade or so. Yes, of course we still get Vinland Sagas and Frierens. All I'm arguing is that they represent a smaller proportion of the total output of anime today than in 2007. And, yes, that is a subjective opinion based on a mere eighteen years of watching seasonal anime. For instance, I have little to say about shows before 2003 or so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think you might be right about the proportion of crap being larger than before. There are more shows being created than ever before but the number of really excellent shows each year has pretty much stayed the same, imo.
Runnha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I would say 2006 (for Death Note) or 1999 (for One Piece).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
If you discount 2005 and 2010, the period between 2004 and 2012 is the golden era of anime - again something I've long considered to be the case. The shit that people give the noughties isn't borne out by the data. Since 2012 the moving average has been trending down.

I had a similar impression revisiting my favorites: this gave me the impression that anime peaked around 2010. Although, in my case, thats was also because I am a moe fan and this genre peaked in popularity around 2010.

But overall 2004-2012 makes sense as the peak of anime, since TV anime for "anime fans" began with NGE in 95/96, and following the success of NGE, the anime industry began making shows for a more mature audience and started airing them in late night, starting with Those Who Hunt Elves (1996). The number of late night shows then exploded from 1996 to 2006 (which follows the increase in average scores you posted). By 2006, late night animation production reached a peak of 200 13-episode cours (according to Japanese animation industry statistics). The 2006 peak level of late night anime production has not been greatly exceeded since but has been maintained in most years. This boom in production from the late 90s up to the late 2000s that allowed many great titles to be created and artistic boundaries to be pushed.

Still, since the anime industry has been pumping out around 150-200 cours of late night shows per year since 2006, many more great shows have been made in recent years than before the mid-2000s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm Reply with quote
To judge by every anime in a single year is silly. I think we should just think about the best anime of a given year and ignore the duds. Frankly, there are more bad anime now than ever before, but also more great anime than ever before. I'd argue the percentage stayed the same but the overall quantity increased.

I think we're in something of a renaissance period right now, but if I had to choose my own personal best year for anime, it'd either be 2007 or 2011. 2019 was pretty great too, but Gurren Lagann and Code Geass, not to mention the year of Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Anohana, and Madoka, are pretty top tier years in my book.
Itachi__Uchiha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
I think 2011 because hunter x hunter is the best anime
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I just think the proportion of crap has increased over the past decade or so. Yes, of course we still get Vinland Sagas and Frierens. All I'm arguing is that they represent a smaller proportion of the total output of anime today than in 2007. And, yes, that is a subjective opinion based on a mere eighteen years of watching seasonal anime. For instance, I have little to say about shows before 2003 or so.

I have the impression that today thanks to streaming we get to check out all the crap while back in around 2007 the crap was only easily available for the Japanese. Sure one could get to the crap if they wanted, but it's not like today that I turn on Crunchyroll on my TV and it's like "look a hundred crappy shows on the menu." This year I have been much more selective on what I watch, since I watched really crappy shows last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
1998 was an amazing year with many banngers:

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Cowboy Bebop
Devil Lady
Getter Robo Armgeddon
Initial D
Outlaw Star
Serial Experiments Lain
Spriggan
Trigun
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hey, I love me some Moribito but I have to admit that I instinctively cringe when I see somebody say, "ah, they'll never make great shows like "x" any more. Since the dawn of anime, virtually every year has seen the creation of a handful excellent shows/movies, some of which are classics and masterpieces. And there continued to be risky shows made long after the recession, to this day. Girls Last Tour was hardly a safe bet. The problem is somebody imposes their subjective taste on the question and they only focus on the shows that did it for them. Anything outside that subjective taste can, of course, never measure up. Great anime was made, is being made, will be made in the future. And a lot of crap. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

Yes, but also that depends on what a definition of a good anime is.
I must say I have not seen an anime in... 2 years or so? With the exception of trying to finish Attack on Titan. Weirdly, because the amount of content is insane. Most subscription services offer titles.
One of the reasons is that the themes I find interesting are not really a thing. While there may be some excellent titles, they are not really my vibe. And the amount of not so good shows seems to have increased and it's harder to sift through to get to the good stuff.

Is there a way btw to see anime that came out year by year? Shame it's not an option to see tha on the list of anime we have seen rather than clicking on every single title one by one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 am Reply with quote
@ Unicorn_Blade: yes, there is a way to see anime listed by the year it was released.

Click on the Encyclopedia tab at the top of the screen. Once the selection box comes up, find Tools at the bottom right of the box, select Search by genre, theme, year and click on it.

That will bring you to a page where you have a number of filters to search titles. The second filter from the top of the screen is Production Year and it allows you to search between a range of years. So, let's say you want to find out what was released in 1993, you would just plug in 1993 in both the "between" and "and" boxes. That brings up a list of every series title (and movie and manga titles if you want those) released in 1993.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, will play around with that later!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I used that search to come up with the dodgy graph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2