• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime & Coffee; Kids & Grown-Ups?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
The commissary has switched their generic coffee brand recently. They went from this god awful freeze dried crap from Keefe to an even worse gut-rot brand named "Boston's Best". I didn't think Boston was known for it's coffee scene, and I still don't.

I used to drink the instant Folger's, not nearly as good as fresh brewed stuff but still better than the generic. When it went from 5 to 8 dollars a bag I had to bow out though, just too expensive to drink 2-3 bags a month. The Keefe was palatable, quite bitter but drinkable, this Boston's is just garbage. I end up having to put other ingredients in it just to choke it down, sugar, cappuccino mix etc, so now I'm likely spending just as much as if I were buying the Folgers.

I do look forward to buying one of those fancy Nespresso or Keurig machines when I get out. I don't see myself standing in line to get coffee somewhere but do want to enjoy some quality stuff. To sit at a wooden breakfast table, cup of fresh brewed coffee in hand, streaming an episode of Anime before work. Such is a fantastical daydream of the modern inmate.

As a young teenager the whole concept of coffee shops as being some sort of bastion for the intellectual, which I guess they were at that time drew me in. Participating in the scene on any level made me feel like I belonged in that "grown up" crowd. I'm hooked now though, still quite the poser intellectually and caffeine wise, but do love a cup of java - even the bad stuff.

So how does this relate to Anime? Well it's kind of a stretch but I think I can tie it all in. Is drinking coffee considered a "grown ups" activity? Plenty of kids drink it for sure but I think it is mostly associated with something an adult drinks to help charge them through a day full of responsibilities work, paying bills, fighting in wars, etc.

Is watching Anime considered a "kids" activity? I suppose if its Pokemon or something maybe yeah but would argue that the good stuff is definitely made for the young adult and older. Outsiders looking in may lump it all in as cartoons, which are a children's activity for sure but we know better, we know.

So where Demon Slayer would be a Starbucks branded French Vanilla roast, Utawarerumono would be Keefe, and Adult Swims Housing Complex C is the Boston's Best of all Anime series.

Haruko said "Even eating bad ramen can be fun". And that is how I can turn an essay on coffee into a treatise on anime. Grown ups drink the bitter and sour drinks, that's just the way it is. And that's why I drink coffee today, I'm such an adult.

[EDIT: Made the thread title slightly less ambiguous. -TK]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I qualify as an adult. I've had one cup of coffee in my entire life. I never developed a taste for it. I always thought of it as something that smelled good (especially when fresh ground) and tasted horrible. In college it was Coca Cola, either canned from a machine or from the fountain (with a dash of vanilla syrup). In the Navy it was tea, canned drinks tend to run out during an eight month deployment. Now it is the occasional Coke and bottled tea.

My take is that one of the few perks of being an adult is that you can consume pretty much what every you can afford. It doesn't matter if it is entertainment or beverages. I don't drink coffee because I don't care to. I watch what ever anime I want because I can.

In case anyone cares to know: That one cup was in Barcelona the fall of 1968. After closing down a bar called El Drugstore, myself and another officer were walking back to the ship, both as intoxicated as is possible and still be mobile. He insisted on stopping at a small all night place to get a cup of coffee. It didn't help, of course the shot of rum we put in it may have been a factor.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I just find it hilarious that Detective Pikachu has a coffee addiction to make him seem "Edgy" in a PG-rated way.

//I don't personally consume any caffeine, because as an adult... getting sleep is incredibly difficult, and I can't afford to do anything that makes it even worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
I am a coffee savage. I have coffee maker and even go to the trouble of buying whole beans and grinding them, but due to laziness, most of the time I just default to making a cup of instant. But keep this among ourselves, okay? I don't want a band of vigilante baristas hunting me down.

I think watching anime does skew young, but it's definitely not just for kids. One of the things I love about ANN is that it provides me solid proof that even Olds like me watch these wacky Japanese cartoonies...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
//I don't personally consume any caffeine, because as an adult... getting sleep is incredibly difficult, and I can't afford to do anything that makes it even worse.

You're going about this all wrong. The key is to drink so much coffee that your body becomes desensitized. I've been known to go to sleep with half a cup of coffee on the nightstand.

Of course, I've also been known to snort coffee grinds out of trashcans when it was hard for me to get a fresh cup, so I might not be the best person to give advice here...

(I was just joking for dramatic effect! Of course I'm the best person to give advice here....)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the thread title made me start thinking about anime series that feature coffee or coffee shops, and the first one that came to mind was Time of Eve. It's a unique little ONA-turned-movie about a cafe where humans and humanoid androids are able to freely socialize without question of status, in a world where there's significant prejudice against the latter. Think of a low-key take on Asimov and you've got the idea. It's well worth the watch if you get the chance. Another example would be Tokyo Ghoul, but, well, I wasn't exactly a fan.

As for the beverage itself, I can't think of anything else out there that smells so good yet tastes so foul. Now if you put it in stout form, I'm all for it. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1