• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time Skips?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
07:19 AM

I now have 187 days of captivity remaining and that final day looks further away from me than the first day I started my incarceration which was 17 years ago now.

It's funny how time seems to move at such different speeds depending on if you are looking forwards or backwards. Volumes have been written on the subject and I can't pretend to be smart enough to warrant contributing my voice to the greater discussion. I do however feel that while not unique, I definitely have had some hefty experiences with time.

Even in a maximum security prison the fluidity of time is noticeable. The weekend seems to pass in a matter of hours while some days at work seem like you are serving two for one. That condition also changes though depending on what your situation is. When work is exciting and goals are being met then the weekend becomes a roadblock, the inactivity is soul crushing at times. There is no progress being made, it's almost as if the weekends don't count towards your sentence.

Sitting in the hole is another excruciating way to pass your time. A day in there is worth 30 in the general population. All time seems to stop, there are no clocks and the only way to note the passage of time is the food items on your tray, if it is cold oatmeal it might be breakfast.

So pondering my time, both behind and ahead of me, I can't help but think about some of the ways time is handled in Anime. Perhaps one of the more well know elements being the two year "Time Skip" in One Piece. I could go for one of those right now, the six month variety though please.

Isekai Anime number in the hundreds. If not always taking the protagonist to a different land but often a different period of time. I imagine returning home after all these years will feel like I fell through the well in Inuyasha.

Some Anime have an absurd grasp of time, almost maddening at times. In Dragon Ball Super the tournament of power which was only supposed to last a handful of minutes goes on and on and on for what feels like 30 episodes. I read something once that said all thousand plus episodes of One Piece have taken place over the span of less than three years, that's including the time skip!

There are some interesting ways of living *in* time. In Kokkoku it is frozen for all but a few people while the events of the show play out. A concept that has been around for a while now in one form or another. Even Rick and Morty had their episodes where this was the major plot device.

Then there are Anime whose whole premise is time, the manipulation or mastery and control of it, the ability to bend it to ones will, or jump through it as easily as taking the bus to school. A quick search found no less than 80 titles containing the word time in them, though I'm sure there are many more, not to mention Manga.

The passage of time is about to get ramped up for me again and while it seems like it is a mile away the time will come when I am reading these very words after I have been a free man for over a year. I'll be sure to post again and comment with my thoughts then.

[EDIT: Moved the thread to a more appropriate forum. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1