• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Either plan works well, I say. I'm more inclined to mixing it up early on, but I can see the wisdom in whittling it down and saving any mingling until the final battle as well.

Oh and, yay, my opinion is valued. Anime smallmouth Right? Right? Embarassed
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
OK, I had a talk with ccdx about all of this, and here's what I think now that I've sat down and thought about it:

Any sort of seperated tournament which eventually comes together wouldn't really work well. The nominations process would simply be too strenuous and tiring, and there'd be way too much ambiguity as to whether certain pairings could be considered romantic or not. We might personally think the answer is obvious, but there'd be disagreement on many of them and nominations would end up going nowhere. Sure, we could do something like quick voting for each of them, but that'd take way longer than necessary and would be like a fairly long mini-tournament in itself. It's just too confusing, and there's so many *sort of, maybe* couples out there that'd be near-impossible to categorize.

That's not to say we shouldn't mix both romantic couples and non-romantic duos in one tournament though. If we didn't have to categorize each nomination from the very beginning, we'd have a mcuh easier time. We could judge each based on a set and standard criteria for all, and it'd probably work out okay...

It could get a little tricky though. Take for example, this matchup:

Rei Ayanami and Shinji Ikari (Evangelion) vs. Edward and Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist).

I'm personally kind of stuck on how to compare these two duos. Their relationships are so different that I have no idea where to even begin to say which one is 'better" (except which one I like more, I suppose). I guess a matchup like this could work if we get some guideline criteria setup first (because "best" duo seems to be much more ambiguous than either "moe", "crazy" or "evil", just the word itself sounds more subjective), but otherwise, I fear it might turn into a popularity contest, and that's exactly what we don't want.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Perhaps hold 2 smaller tournaments back to back. Cut the numbers down by 1/3 and have a romantic followed by a non-romantic couples tournament. Just a random idea.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Rei and Shinji vs Edward and Alphonse, that's a good question Confused I wonder there how you would even categorize Rei and Shinji, which I can see is the point you're trying to bring up, frentymon. Destructible perhaps? As for Ed and Al it would make sense to me to deem them brotherly and on the same level a partnership, that goes quite a ways.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Perhaps hold 2 smaller tournaments back to back. Cut the numbers down by 1/3 and have a romantic followed by a non-romantic couples tournament. Just a random idea.

That just propagates the problem frentymon was talking about, though.

Going along that line of thinking, we should definitely include both romantic and non-romantic couples. We should insist on a "must be recognizable as a pair of lovers/partners/siblings by any reasonable viewer" rule to eliminate ambiguous or theoretical pairs, like Shinji and Rei.

Given that, I suggest that the main grading criteria be chemistry. (i.e. Is the duo actually convincing as lovers/partners/siblings? Do they fit well together or is their relationship in name only?) We might also add durability as a secondary qualifier to weed out "flash in the pan" pairings as primary contenders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
We might also add durability as a secondary qualifier to weed out "flash in the pan" pairings as primary contenders.

By which criterion, I take it you mean "durability over the course of the anime". Some couples are only couples briefly, but the duration of their relationship is the entire substance of their host anime (e.g. the protagonists of Koi Kaze).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
By which criterion, I take it you mean "durability over the course of the anime". Some couples are only couples briefly, but the duration of their relationship is the entire substance of their host anime (e.g. the protagonists of Koi Kaze).

It should be up to individual voters to decide whether or not a relationship that develops over the course of the series, and thus only truly features a pair as a couple in the late going, should count as an example of "durability." Koi Kaze would certainly be one of the dicier of such cases, as would Ayato and Haruka in RahXephon.

The natural progression of the tournament would ultimately weed out the weaker or more questionable cases, however, so it doesn't concern me much. Regardless of what standards we set, the tournament is ultimately probably going to come down to 6-8 serious contenders and a horde of others trying to pull off a surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
OK, let's start nominations at this point. Both romantic couples and non-romantic duos/pair will be accepted, although 2 characters with ambiguous unobvious relationships as being a "pair" will be turned down. It'd be nice to keep a rough balance of romantic and non-romantic pairs, but in no way will that be a factor that will turn down worthy pairs.

You may nominate as many characters as you want, in as many posts as you want, but try not to go overboard...

I'll be continuously updating an acceptance/rejection list of characters. Acceptance/rejection of characters will be decided arbitrarily by me. If I get a really good argument or a moderately large number of people against a certain decision, I will most likely reverse it.

So, enough said, let's get the nominations going!

[EDIT]

Okay, I'm going to utilize a similar nomination system as last time. Here's how it's going to work. I'll decide whether each nomination goes into the "Accept", "Pending", or "Reject" categories. A second on any given nomination will move the nomination into the next highest category (Reject to Pending, Pending to Accept). A vote against a nomination will bring it down a category, and a vote for or against a nomination in the highest and lowest category (respectively) already will just be more...fortified, I guess.

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I nominate Ayame and Shigure Sohma (Fruits Basket) for non-romantic couples. Their relationship is one of friendship, but also provides us with great comedy. They also seem to have an understanding of each other, which is an important aspect of friendship.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess I will nominate a few.
Excel and Hyatt for non-ramantic couples because they make a balanced team throughout the series.
Kyon and Haruhi from The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for romantic couples. Their relationship is more on the hidden side until spoiler[the kiss]
Kurau and Christmas from Kurau:Phantom Memory for non romantic couples.

-Do we have to have explanations? (I would like to know before I nominate some more later)
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I would like to nominate Tenou Haruka and Kaiou Michiru from Sailor Moon as a romantic couple. Although they often are in opposition to the rest of the Senshi team, they are perpetually in tune with one another. They work together almost as if they are one person, and even when their backs are against the wall, their love still manages to shine through.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
YAY! This is going to be such fun!

For Romantic Couples:

Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon. A love that has survived centuries.
Kunzite & Zoicite from above series. - Hey, bad guys need love too!
Sailor Neptune & Sailor Uranus from above series. - What Mylene said.
Sakura and Shaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura - A relationship that started out rocky and slowly grew into friendship and beyond.
Sakura and Shaoran from Tsubasa - two childhood friends, one of whom has sworn to return what belongs to the other...no matter what the cost.
Miaka and Tamahome from Fushigi Yugi - Two people who go through so much pain and anguish but still remain in love even when seperated.
Aya and Toya from Ceres - Another couple who has to deal with a great deal of pain and anguish and the knowledge that all things will end.

For Non Romantic Couples:

Kurogane and Fai from Tsubasa - A relationship forced upon them that eventually turns to trusting in each other.
Miaka and Yui from Fushigi Yugi - Childhood friends who just want to keep together.
Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist - Two friends with a goal of changing their world for the better.
Edward and Alphone Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist - two brothers who have their goal of getting back to normal.

This is just off the top of my head. I'll come up with a better list later when I can look at my anime.

I don't think that we should provide explanations as to why we're nominating them at this point. Explanations should wait until the voting process starts.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Henrietta and Jose from Gunslinger Girl. Talk about an awkward relationship. Is he a brother? A father? A master? Something more speeeecial? Wink It's tragic no matter how you look at it.

Edward and Alphonse Elric of FMA. Do I NEED to explain this? Really. Do I? Unique brotherly relationship. Not a cliche rivalry or overly devoted pair...on the outside. Realistic brothers with different flaws and outlooks on life who love each other. EDIT: A new post was made while I was typing this that already mentions them, sorry.

Albert and the Count of Monte Cristo of Gankutsuou. I love you, I admire you, I hate you, I'm manipulating you, I'm trying to save you, I LOVE you...this one goes everywhere.

Vash and Wolfwood of Trigun. Talk about best friends with opposing views. These two's chemistry is the greatest joy to watch of the show and also the saddest when their different lives clash like fireirons in the hard times. A peace-loving outlaw and a murderous preacher. Fun stuff.

Gene Starwind and Jim Hawking of Outlaw Star. The little one's the responsible one, and Gene thinks with his stomach and penis. They're the best of friends, but also quibbling brothers.

Kyo Sohma and Tohru Honda of Fruits Basket. Beauty and the Beast. The couple is more established in the manga version, but clearly prevalent in the anime itself as well.

Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin of Ouran High School Host Club. Fake romance. Real rivalry. But is it farcical or is there some truth to their conflict over the same girl or each other. Whatever the case, one always seems to know what the other is thinking.

Kiba and Cheza of Wolf's Rain. *singsong* I would walk five hundred miles and I would walk five hundred more just to be the (wolf) who'd walk a thousand miles to faaaalll doooown at your door! Very Happy

I shall return with more... Wink This is fun! Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Get some more in:
Minoru Shiraishi and Akira Kogami of Lucky Star. These two make up a very funny non-romantic couple, because they end up having to work with each other while kicking each other's butt at the same time.

Alucard and Integra (Hellsing Ultimate) for non-romantic couples. Master and slave. But at the same time, there's more of something between them, since they hvae known each other for quite some time.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Spike and Julia of Cowboy Bebop. A dark and mysterious romance of Shakesperean proportions. (Or maybe just Galactic?)

Spike and Jet of CB as well. The original buddy cops, only much cooler. One makes up for the other's lack of hair both up top and chinside. Laughing

Light Yagami and L of Death Note. Awesome buddy cops number two, except, you know, one's actually the murderer. It's intriguing to see that they're both so alike and have respect for one another in that light, but hate each others guts and are faking friendship. Heh.

Light Yagami and Misa Amane. Doting love slave and mastermind who uses her as a tool. She saves his butt and screws him over interchangably, and he remarks that she's more trouble than L! All she wants is a little love, though. Talk about love/hate relationships. Except that it's all one-sided.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 28