• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas revises their translation of BL manga I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
As there's been no news posts directly related to this previously, I guess I make a thread here...

Seven Seas made a twitter announcement today that they're revising their translation of BL manga I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl;
Seven Seas twitter(@gomanga) wrote:
In response to fan concerns, Seven Seas has thoroughly reviewed our English language translation of I Think I Turned Childhood Friend Into a Girl Vol. 1. The subject matter in this book is delicate and we took every effort to keep the language respectful and inclusive. However, after discussing the matter with the rights holders, we realized that our edition differs in certain details from the author's intent. With that in mind, we will be revising the English script of this series to address various concems, and to more accurately reflect the original intent of the creator. This revised translation will be available in reprints of Vol. l, and the translation for future volumes will be handled by a collaborative translation team to ensure a faithful and accurate translation of the original work. We're sorry for any confusion or stress caused by our first printing of Vol. 1, and we thank you for your passion as we bring this complex and wonderful manga series to English-speaking audiences.

A little bit of backstory for those out of the loop;

Back at the beginning of June, Seven Seas released the first volume of BL manga I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into A Girl.
Except, almost immediately it became clear the lead, a cross-dresser within the context of the story, was erroneously labeled as trans in the translation, a decision that got quite a backlash, on twitter particularly.
Which resulted in backlash against the backlash, spearheaded by a close colleague of the translator, who's one specific claim was the translator had done their research. Which, now in hindsight, might not have been quite so...

About a week after that and the public storm, Seven Seas posted a follow-up on their twitter which said they'd look into it.

With today's announcement/tweet and after a month and a half, and delayed release dates for subsequent volumes, we're finally getting closure on the whole mess.

Sources;
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1534277782271840266
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1535330544849801216
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/06/07/seven-seas-english-localization-of-i-think-i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl-changes-feminine-male-into-a-transgender-girl/
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/06/17/seven-seas-responds-to-backlash-says-they-are-looking-into-addressing-the-delicate-language-used-in-intentional-mistranslation-of-i-think-i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl/
https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1534612788210900992
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:01 pm Reply with quote
This shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Seven Seas has had far too many "similar" issues regarding 'translation" and "localization" decisions. They need to get their house in order and deliver a faithful representation of the materials to their consumers or allow others to do so.

I started to give them a chance but no longer--They've proven their incompetence and I will no longer support nor recommend any of their products (even if they are series I wish have).
Breunoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd hesitate to call it "getting closure" until the reprint is available--last year, adjusted editions of Bloom Into You: Regarding Saeki Sayaka were supposed to be released, but those plans seem to have been forgotten.
Its main series and the errors in the anthology haven't been addressed, either.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I've actually brought this point up several times in previous threads where a manga or anime dealt with variations in gender expression. A western perspective of the trans experience and gender identity is placed on a title that makes assumptions about what the creators intent is. And we fail to realize that intent is from a Japanese perspective: it's not inherently transphobic or intentionally insensitive, it's just trying to tell a story from a uniquely Japanese viewpoint. I think any reader can go into a manga like this and simply ask themselves is this an LGBTQ story or is it a gender bender? Those two classifications can be almost entirely mutually exclusive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1