• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney Reveals Star Wars: Visions Anime Shorts for 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
Ain't falling for this shit after that polygon crap

Have you read the plurals? It's more than one creator which means more than one studio involved given previous precedent. And this ain't Netflix too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
C’mon Trigger! I want to be able to make “Little Jedi Academia” jokes! Also hoping that this will be entirely 2D, Star Wars has plenty of 3D animation connected to it
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
Nah, my money is on Madhouse.

Disney owns a chunk of the studio and Madhouse did work on several of their properties, such as the Stitch! series in the aughts. I wouldn't be surprised if they're used in any upcoming anime projects. Gotta do something between new Cardcaptor Sakura seasons
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Nah, my money is on Madhouse.

Disney owns a chunk of the studio and Madhouse did work on several of their properties, such as the Stitch! series in the aughts. I wouldn't be surprised if they're used in any upcoming anime projects. Gotta do something between new Cardcaptor Sakura seasons

I mean, anthologies involve many studios.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad Disney+ decided get into the Anime Realm especially with Star wars...
star wars had some manga in the past some in fact that were sorta consider canon in there own right..

Kinda Funny in my own head if i was ever charge of making star wars stories i would consider anthology First To. would fit the genre of star wars Very Happy
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote
Stop, Disney. Or, stop Disney. Take your pick. You wrecked Star Wars enough already.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Very surprised that this Anime Collaboration, along with the kindly-old Rebel Pilot and the return of Ming-Na's character in The Mandalorian, was green lit under Kathleen Kennedy's authority. She, after all, is the same producer who caved into the demands of tweeting klansmen angered by Asian Actors Donnie Yen and Kelly Marie Tran even taking part in the Star Wars universe, and reduced Rose Tico from the first Strong Positive Heroic Asian Leading Lady in Star Wars into a silent menial extra with less than 77 seconds of screentime in The Rise of Palpatine (Not sorry, that film was the FALL of the Skywalker family). Wouldn't making this blatant a Positive-Asian styled Star Wars further enrage Kathleen Kennedy's twitter addicted white-supremacist masters?

I don't recall anyone disliking Chirrut in Rogue One, nor Fennec in The Mandalorian. I don't think the hate against Rose was due to her being Asian.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
Stop, Disney. Or, stop Disney. Take your pick. You wrecked Star Wars enough already.

Third option: Wait and see if this is actually crap, then you can start trashing it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
SouthParkboy wrote:
While Toei Animation, OLM and TMS Entertainment are good choices to do Star Wars anime short. The studios I really want to do this are not only Production I.G and Satelight but the one and only Sunrise and BONES! Especially Sunrise, seeing how Star Wars was a huge influence on Gundam made by Sunrise. Always love Sunrise as my favorite anime studio next to Studio Ghibli and I hope Disney gets Sunrise to do some Star Wars stuff, I can't wait!

I honestly don't see Ghibli getting involved. That would cause too much of a conflict with Warner Bros. in my opinion. I do see Sunrise and Bones getting involved though, mainly because of the former's Gundam being influenced by Star Wars. I also wouldn't mind Shin-Ei Animation (the studio behind Doraemon) doing a kid-friendly short with C-3PO and R2-D2 just to make Disney satisfied.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
As far goes as Anime studios doing the different anime shorts for Star Wars Visions I imagine these as the most likely:

Toei Animation
    OLM, Inc.
    Production I.G.
    MADHOUSE
    BONES
    Studio 4°C
    TMS Entertainment
    Satelight
    Ufotable
    Trigger
    Orange
    MAPPA
    Shin-Ei Animation
    Kyoto Animation

So I imagine either one of those Japanese Anime studios doing the 10 respective short films.

I'm actually more curious on which recording studio they would use for Star Wars Visions, cause the Star Wars Animated shows were recorded at L.A. Studios, but with this being an anime series I hope that Studiopolis would get a hold of it given that they have done a lot of English versions on the various Anime series based on Disney IP such as the Stitch anime series and the Marvel ones (Marvel Disk Wars and Marvel Future Avengers), on top of that they utilize a wide variety of voice actors when compared to Bang Zoom!

mdo7 wrote:

One thing that'll give me a body shock: If Disney and Lucasfilm were able to get Studio Ghibli involved in this one (or going as far as to get Hayao Miyazaki to direct the animated short on Ghibli's behalf), I better hope it doesn't lead to conflict between Disney and Warner Bros because HBO Max (owned by Warner Bros) is the current stream holder for Studio Ghibli.

I think Studio Ghibli is out of the question cause they primarily do animated features and another thing is that HBO Max ONLY has the streaming rights of Studio Ghibli through a deal with GKIDS, while in Canada and other International Markets Netflix has the streaming rights through Wild Bunch (GKIDS international partner).

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
OK, there is a follow up article in case if you didn't know or just came back to talk. I can assure you judging from this image it looks like they'll be plenty of traditional 2D animation for this anime anthology:

So rest assured people, it looks like Disney won't use Polygon Pictures for this one.

Hikifroggy wrote:
I'm so glad Disney+ decided get into the Anime Realm especially with Star wars...

Same here, and you're not alone. I too want to see more Japanese animation on Disney+. You know here's the funny thing: a few days ago, I took a survey from Disney company (yes, I was one of the many volunteer survey users for their company when they send me the email) about Disney+, and I told them to please considered adding or doing Japanese animation work for Disney+ (like for example, bringing Marvel Disk War to Disney+ since we already have Future Avenger on there). It looks like my wish sort of came true. I'm hoping Disney could team up with Square Enix to adapt World of Final Fantasy into a Disney+ anime original given that Kingdom Hearts is getting a Disney+ TV series, I'm hoping this is the same case for World of Final Fantasy, if the Star Wars anime anthology, and the Kingdom Heart TV series does well on Disney+. I know a lot of people who played the game said that they want World of Final Fantasy to be given a anime TV series.

On the same survey I took for Disney+, I also told them to please add more of their foreign-language production. I mean I was mind-blown when I found out that Soy Luna and Bia was on Disney+ for US audiences with no English dub (yes, both shows has English subtitles). I want more foreign-language Disney shows on Disney+ because there are research that demonstrate kids can practice and enhance their reading skills beyond books if you have subtitles/closed caption turned on, and having foreign-language audio and English subtitle option can make your kid's reading skill a lot better.

CastMember1991 wrote:

I honestly don't see Ghibli getting involved. That would cause too much of a conflict with Warner Bros. in my opinion. I do see Sunrise and Bones getting involved though, mainly because of the former's Gundam being influenced by Star Wars. I also wouldn't mind Shin-Ei Animation (the studio behind Doraemon) doing a kid-friendly short with C-3PO and R2-D2 just to make Disney satisfied.

We don't know which studio is getting involved. So let's not ruled out anything yet. But I'm going to create a list on which studio is highly likely to be involved, which studio may joined Disney and get involved with anthology for the first time, and which studio probably or probably not involved in this production.

Studios that are highly likely to be involved:

Madhouse (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies, done work for Marvel)
Production I.G (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies)
Studio 4°C (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies)
BONES (Studio was involved with Halo Legends, and their work for My Hero Academia has gained popularity in the west, My Hero Academia collaborated with Marvel. So I can't ruled out the possibility Marvel asked Disney to get BONES involved)
Toei Animation (Studio done a segment for Halo Legends, have done overseas animation work for American animation which include Marvel)

Studios that may get involved (first time getting involved with anime anthology of western IP like Star Wars):

TMS Entertainment (has done oversea animation work for both Marvel and Disney)
OLM, inc (they never got involved with western IP before. Disney could have OLM involved for a segment appealing to kid demographic)
Shin-Ei Animation (like OLM, they never got involved with western IP before. It's possible Disney could have them like OLM to create a segment that appeals to kid, age 7-10 demographic)
Studio Trigger (their animation work have gained popularity with western audiences. Have done animation work for western companies. So I can't ruled out Disney recruiting this studio to do a Star War anime segment)
Sunrise (never done a anime anthology for western IP before, and beside doing animation work for Batman: TAS. Sunrise has a lot of experiences with doing sci-fi anime. I can see them working with Disney on a Star War anime segment)
MAPPA (their work on action and sci-fi anime could make them ripe for Disney to recruit them for Star Wars)
Orange (you want a Star Wars CG anime that isn't a Polygon Picture production and a CG anime with anime "aesthetics"? Orange can fulfill that requirement)

Studio that may or may not be involved, but I can't ruled them out as a possibility for Disney:

Studio Ghibli (I know it's a long shot, but Disney and Studio Ghibli has a interesting history. So I can't ruled out that there is a chance Studio Ghibli would love to work with Disney again, and Star Wars would be something they may do)
Tatsunoko (I know it's a long shot, but Tatsunoko has a long history with US anime giving that Gatchaman, Speed Racer are well-known to US audiences. In 2009, Tatsunoko collaborated with Marvel to adapt Marvel properties into anime. I can't ruled out the possibility that Marvel talked to Disney about Tatsunoko. So hence why I put them on the list)
Wit Studio (I know this studio is famous for Attack on Titan, and their work are recognized amongst non-anime fans. So I can't ruled out Disney could get Wit involved)
Satelight (OK, some of you want and wish that Satelight to work on Star Wars. But this studio never worked with western companies or done work based on western properties. I know Satelight is the animation studio for doing installment for Macross. But what make you think Disney would recruit them for Star Wars?)
Ufotable (I'm not sure why people would think this studio would work with Disney on a Star War anime for?)

So these are the list of anime studio that would likely get involved with Disney on Star Wars. So let see in future updates report that Disney announced the studio and see how many of them would match up to my list.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:14 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued. There's not enough info for me to say anything other than that.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
OK, there is a follow up article in case if you didn't know or just came back to talk. I can assure you judging from this image it looks like they'll be plenty of traditional 2D animation for this anime anthology:

So rest assured people, it looks like Disney won't use Polygon Pictures for this one.

Hikifroggy wrote:

Same here, and you're not alone. I too want to see more Japanese animation on Disney+. You know here's the funny thing: a few days ago, I took a survey from Disney company (yes, I was one of the many volunteer survey users for their company when they send me the email) about Disney+, and I told them to please considered adding or doing Japanese animation work for Disney+ (like for example, bringing Marvel Disk War to Disney+ since we already have Future Avenger on there). It looks like my wish sort of came true. I'm hoping Disney could team up with Square Enix to adapt World of Final Fantasy into a Disney+ anime original given that Kingdom Hearts is getting a Disney+ TV series, I'm hoping this is the same case for World of Final Fantasy, if the Star Wars anime anthology, and the Kingdom Heart TV series does well on Disney+. I know a lot of people who played the game said that they want World of Final Fantasy to be given a anime TV series.

On the same survey I took for Disney+, I also told them to please add more of their foreign-language production. I mean I was mind-blown when I found out that Soy Luna and Bia was on Disney+ for US audiences with no English dub (yes, both shows has English subtitles). I want more foreign-language Disney shows on Disney+ because there are research that demonstrate kids can practice and enhance their reading skills beyond books if you have subtitles/closed caption turned on, and having foreign-language audio and English subtitle option can make your kid's reading skill a lot better.

CastMember1991 wrote:

We don't know which studio is getting involved. So let's not ruled out anything yet. But I'm going to create a list on which studio is highly likely to be involved, which studio may joined Disney and get involved with anthology for the first time, and which studio probably or probably not involved in this production.

Studios that are highly likely to be involved:

Madhouse (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies, done work for Marvel)
Production I.G (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies)
Studio 4°C (Studio was involved with previous western IP anime anthologies)
BONES (Studio was involved with Halo Legends, and their work for My Hero Academia has gained popularity in the west, My Hero Academia collaborated with Marvel. So I can't ruled out the possibility Marvel asked Disney to get BONES involved)
Toei Animation (Studio done a segment for Halo Legends, have done overseas animation work for American animation which include Marvel)

Studios that may get involved (first time getting involved with anime anthology of western IP like Star Wars):

TMS Entertainment (has done oversea animation work for both Marvel and Disney)
OLM, inc (they never got involved with western IP before. Disney could have OLM involved for a segment appealing to kid demographic)
Shin-Ei Animation (like OLM, they never got involved with western IP before. It's possible Disney could have them like OLM create a segment appealing to kid demograhpic)
Studio Trigger (their animation work have gained popularity with western audiences. Have done animation work for western companies. So I can't ruled out Disney recruiting this studio to do a Star War anime segment)
Sunrise (never done a anime anthology for western IP before, and beside doing animation work Batman: TAS. Sunrise has a lot of experience with doing sci-fi anime. I can see them working with Disney on a Star War anime segment)
MAPPA (their work on action and sci-fi anime could make them ripe for Disney to recruit them for Star Wars)
Orange (you want a Star Wars CG anime that isn't a Polygon Picture production and a CG anime with anime "aesthetics"? Orange can fulfill that requirement)

Studio that may or may not be involved, but I can't ruled them out as a possibility for Disney:

Studio Ghibli (I know it's a long shot, but Disney and Studio Ghibli has a interesting history. So I can't ruled out that there is a chance Studio Ghibli would love to work with Disney again, and Star Wars would be something they may do)
Tatsunoko (I know it's a long shot, but Tatsunoko has a long history with US anime giving that Gatchaman, Speed Racer are well-known to US audiences. In 2009, Tatsunoko collaborated with Marvel to adapt Marvel properties into anime. I can't ruled out the possibility that Marvel talked to Disney about Tatsunoko. So hence why I put them on the list)
Wit Studio (I know this studio is famous for Attack on Titan, and their work are recognized amongst non-anime fans. So I can't ruled out Disney could get Wit involved)
Satelight (OK, some of you want and wish that Satelight to work on Star Wars. But this studio never worked with western companies or done work based on western properties. I know Satelight is the animation studio for doing installment for Macross. But what make you think Disney would recruit them for Star Wars?)
Ufotable (I'm not sure why people would think this studio would work with Disney on a Star War anime for?

So these are the list of anime studio that would likely get involved with Disney on Star Wars. So let see in future updates report that Disney announced the studio and see how many of them would match up to my list.

About Ufotable. Their work in Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero and most recently, Demon Slayer are mind-boggingly breathtaking, that people want their animation to do something for Star Wars.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

About Ufotable. Their work in Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero and most recently, Demon Slayer are mind-boggingly breathtaking, that people want their animation to do something for Star Wars.

A little disclaimer: Fate/Stay franchise is not my cup of tea, I'm not a fan of that franchise. I haven't watched Demon Slayer. So I can't give an opinion on Demon Slayer.

I'm very familiar with Ufotable's works but because I never watched Fate/Stay or Demon Slayer. I was baffled why anime fans would want Ufotable to worked on Star Wars anime anthology for Disney. But if what you said is true about their fight animation being that good Ryuji-Dono, I can see why anime fans would want Disney to recruit the studio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope one of the shorts is just a long battle like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3