• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incorrect credits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Columns, from left to right: number of examinees, listening, structure/writing, reading, total score mean. Just for the record for native English speakers: the admittance requirement of most US universities is 215 computer-based or 550 paper-based.

If I correctly interpreted the tables on from the pdf file, I remarked that the USA has a total score mean of 226 and 570 respectively; the UK does barely better with 240 computer based. Overall mean for native English is 227/564. How can you explain that ? Is the knowledge of English so bad for native English people ? Question

No, it's "Test Of English as a Foreign Language". These test results are indicative of the scores for citizens of those (predominantly English-speaking) countries who do not have English as a first language. A native English-speaker would never need to take this test in the first place.

woelfie wrote:
Boy, am I happy that Belgium scores among the very best with 257 computer-based and 617 paper-based. Only Danmark can beat us by a few points (261/618). Happy, abunai ? Wink

It's OK. Honestly, though, it surprises me. I don't consider the average Dane particularly skilled in English.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Milk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has anyone considered that there could just be some Korean fans who were simply dedicated enough to enter all the information into the database? This would simply mean that the Japanese fans who are complaining are less dedicated and just need to pull their socks up and start contributing.

Of course not .That's why I said it was one of those extremists' ideas. Most of them actually don't believe it and I didn't say ALL THE IMFORMATION was wrong but there were some problems with the system.
I guess maybe there would be some people who put credits from seeing those fansubs or downloaded anime and they only saw Korean names.

Quote:
ADDENDUM: Found the official TOEFL Test and Score Data Summary: 2004-2005 Test Year Data (in PDF) from ETS:

Yes, you are right, our education system has some problems. But our idea before was if ANN had devoted to anime we had expected that there would be at least someone who was fluent in Japanese and would know about the whole otaku culture thing in Japan(or at least read Japanese books about the industry or what's behind it) . And also I almost never have seen(but few) oversea otakus visit Japanese anime board as well. If the someone knew what's important when anime was made or what those animeters really do he would never have put names in alphabetical order in the first place I guess(or only just because it was easier?).

Most Japanese people don't study English seriously because it doesn't mean they can have better lives even if they study hard or understand English. Since most of them don't want to leave the country they can live without speaking English whole their lives. Most of them are content with being in Japan and speaking only Japanese(maybe that's why there are not so many Japanese immigrants) .

Since Japan has all the information about anime and manga, or the amount of books written by those creatars they don't really need to bother English anime sites except someone like me who study English or curious about oversea anime fans( what they are talking about). But if we find something is not correct or giving wrong information we must point it out.

Quote:
And since abunai has set the precedent for typing Japanese in their posts, I will take the liberty to translate Dan42's points in my own broken Japanese. I know, I suck at this, but I have tried to convey his meaning as accurately as possible to avoid any more misunderstandings. Also, I have added in some things he hasn't said so that the context is made clear. Therefore this is not a translation of Dan42's post, but of his points. I hope it doesn't backfire and increase the misunderstandings...

Wao-san, we really appreciate what you have done for us and sorry that we put you in the situation. I knew you were not taking side of neither of us but wanted to make the situation better and easier for both sides you just represented what Japanese otakus are thinking(and their demand) and tried to make ANN staff understand the whole situation . Your Japanese really surprised us because you were very fluent in the language and no wonder you had the knowledge because you could collect the information from Japanese sites.
You also have the Japanese otaku point of view, thank you.

If it takes time to change the system we only demad put the warning "The information here may not be completely reliable" for now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Milk wrote:
If it takes time to change the system we only demad put the warning "The information here may not be completely reliable" for now.

I hope this is a result of your not quite fluent English. But no one is in any position to demand anything. We will do what we feel is best for the encyclopedia when we are prepared to do it.

As it stands, we happen to agree with you that it is a good idea to include that disclaimer (as I said, I've intended it for a long time). This is why we will be doing it, not because someone "demands" it.

Again, I'm not sure if this is merely due to the language barrier, but the term "demand" is very aggressive in English and generally rather rude . Use it with care.

Anyways, all the changes Dan and I have discussed will be made. However Dan is currently working on another project, so most of the changes could take a few months.

Regards,

-t
Milk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope this is a result of your not quite fluent English.

Sorry, if I used strong word and it sounded very rude to you I should have used "suggest" or" request" instead of "demand" I think....

Since they want to see the result (I know they are inpatient) at least some of them will be quiet if they see the warning. Thank you.
wao

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'll chip in once again and repeat the same thing - Milk's point is awfully true. I'll be direct here - if you don't add in a disclaimer now (since this issue's been going on for quite some time as it is), the longer you take, the worse it will be for you guys. If you think their demands and constant complaints have been annoying, taking any longer will certainly not make it any better (that is assuming you want to do something about it.)

Please think of it as a compromise: it's a sign that yes, you've understood some of their requests and have taken them into serious consideration and you agree with them on some points.
Otherwise they have no way of knowing whether you're really going to follow up with your words. Needless to say that while we, or at least I, trust that the staff will make the necessary changes in due time, the same cannot be said for them (and it is a futile attempt to change that at this point of time, especially if this is going to continue.)
I think the serious people are willing to wait for Dan42 to make the necessary changes when he can if it's truly time he needs. But in return, I should think they expect a disclaimer to be put there meanwhile.

Unless, of course, putting a disclaimer is an extremely tedious and difficult thing, in which case this should have been mentioned earlier.

Of course this is all ultimately up to whether you all have the drive to add in the disclaimer now or not. If you don't want to do it now - although you can (correct me if I'm wrong here), nobody can "demand" you to or force you to do anything. So it'll just stay that way.

But at the risk of sounding preachy, for which I apologize (I don't know how to put it across very well), I hope you keep in mind that in the eyes of the Japanese watchers (and perhaps some others), this does not reflect very well on the enthusiasm of the concerned parties in a. resolving the tension between the two parties and b. being more reliable (yes, I believe putting a disclaimer helps in that regard.)

I apologize if I sound a little harsh, uppity or unreasonable here, and if you are already aware of this particular sentiment then forgive me for restating the obvious, but I felt obliged to highlight and stress the importance of this matter once more.
And yes, I am quite aware that I sound very demanding. But I would really like to see the site I have had spent so much time submitting information to, to not get shot down so much due to inaction which in this specific case can be easily fixed (unless it's not easy, again, I'm assuming it is since there has been no indication otherwise)

Well, at least you won't hear me barging in here and being annoying until next Wednesday or so, because I have midterms and I am in really dire straits, so I will take a break from here. Not that it really matters, since if people are going to go dragging in TOEFL scores and changing the topic then there's probably no use in me spending ti- oops, I didn't say that.

長文スマン
I would try to say what I have in (broken but hopefully understandable) Japanese so that there's less work for the hardworking translators, but it takes me hours to write in Japanese so I'm afraid I can't do that this time.

Offtopic postscript: I know proxies can't post on 2ch, but I don't use a proxy - doesn't matter though, it's probably better that I can't post there.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
An update on this matter: I have just now added the disclaimer. It took longer than it really should have because Tokyo Anime Fair came up and distracted me and I forgot about this issue a little... Embarassed m(_ _)m
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wao

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much. It really helps matters. Really.

Just one nitpick for now: you couldn't possibly put it at the top of the page rather than right at the bottom where most people aren't going to see it, could you...? Although I have pretty much no design sense, so if this really irks you then never mind.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
It's pretty much standard practice to put the disclaimer link at the bottom of the page. wikipedia does it that way too. And I wanted to put it together with the error button since they make a logical entity ("there may be errors" + "fix those errors")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gyokai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
We have been waiting for your upgrading of the database, which was expected to take a few months to accomplish, but could you let us know what sort of progress has been made on this end? It's fine if you don't want to leak any internal details, but I would like to know how far things have advanced.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
While it's not the database, within the last couple of months the Encyclopedia's search engine has been upgraded to cover companies and the Lexicon, as well as handle kanji/kana.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
It took longer than I had hoped and maybe my original "summer" estimate was wishful thinking on my part. After all, programmers are notorious for being over-optimistic about schedules. Embarassed

The core of the new system is mostly done but various things (system crashes, urgent features, urgent bugfixes, urgent maintenance, etc) have kept me from putting on the finishing touches. I am currently working on a feature that we should (re)launch in 1-3 weeks and I expect to reveal our new accuracy-improving subsystem about 1 week after that. At first it will be in a sort of beta-testing mode with limited reach. During that time I will monitor the system and measure its performance so that I can gradually improve it and extend its reach to all aspects of the Encyclopedia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I am currently working on a feature that we should (re)launch in 1-3 weeks and I expect to reveal our new accuracy-improving subsystem about 1 week after that.

Could it be greenlinks from Encyc to news that went offline ever since last December?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nihon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
For reference, Nihonjoe on Wikipedia started compiling a list of terms and credits which is now on Wiktionary at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glossary:Japanese_film_credit_terms

The most updated version is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Japan/Film_credits_glossary
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Coincidentally enough I found that page when googling yesterday (as I can never remember the URL and I needed it for reference).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5