• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shakugan no Shana (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ok, so I just finished it and rated it Very Good. Minus one rating level for the incomplete ending, and minus another for all the loli-fanservice. But other than that, it was a well-balanced series of action, comedy, drama, and romance.

The art was very colorful on a lot of spots, and I like how most of it was hand-drawn (at least it looked like it was). I especially liked the characters' eyes, a little big, yes, but they gave off a kind of soothing feeling every time I looked at them.

Animation was good for the most part. It's a bit difficult to really observe it through fansub format, but being in anamorphic widescreen, I'm sure it'll look much, much cleaner when it comes to DVD. Unfortunately, after looking up the DVD info, I'm dissappointed they're not releasing volume one with a box, so I might just wait for a box set instead. Shouldn't take that long, though, because it looks like they're going to release the entire series in six discs.

Music was very good. I love the first opening and ending songs, as they're very upbeat and brought out the atmosphere of the series very well. The BGM by Ohtani Kou had a nice mix of dramatic flare for the action scenes, and the piano rendition of "Hishoku no Sora" was real touching for the scenes with Yuuji and Shana.

Plot and characters were excellent. The supernatural theme made me think a little of Bleach, but without the obvious length a regular shounen series would get. And speaking of which, would this title qualify as shounen? I currently have it in my top 10 Fantasy and Supernatural categories, but it feels a bit shounen-esque as well.

The characters were fun and easy to empathize for. In terms of the romance, I actually felt a little bit of Suzuka in how spoiler[ Yoshida was in love with Yuuji, but so was Shana, and Yuuji clearly liked Shana, only she was a little too inexperienced to say it herself, though I guess that sort of thing is common in a lot of romance titles.]

On a side note, I also liked some of the names and titles a lot of them had. Don't know why, but I like saying Enpatsu Shakugan no Uchite, as it sounds cooler and is easier to remember than "Flaming-hair-red-hot-eyed-whatever-they-translated-it-to" (which might sound weird when they dub it Anime dazed).

Voice acting was very good. I'm not familiar with a lot of the seiyuu they had casted, but they certainly were convincing enough for my first real experience with them. I especially liked how jovial Marcocious was. I actually thought it was Takagi Wataru (Onizuka) at first, but he did a dang good job anyway being Margery's loudmouth consciences, of sorts.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the series and hope it performs well when it hits the U.S market this September. I'm also looking forward to the movie or even a second season if they ever decide to pick up where they left off. Very Good, A-, 8/10, 4 out of 5 stars (take your pick of the rating system)!

*applauds*

I agree in full, Tony. It's good to see someone else respected SnS as a solid series, despite some formula problems, the fanservice, and the non-closure of an ending.

Unlike some other series *cough* Rozen Maiden *cough* SnS looked like it could have benefited from, and deserved, a second season; the "Shana flashback" was long and, in my view, quite tiresome to marathon through.

It's also a pity all the "OVA's" are "Shana-tan" parodies. :/

Personally, I gave SnS a 7.6-7.8 (cannot remember) on a six category scale (1-10); characters/plot/tilt/animation/music/voices, though I should include a category for "character design/atmosphere" one of these days. For reference, I gave Haruhi an 8.7 and FSN a 7.2.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
Arcanite Champion wrote:
My friend got the DVD's of it (I think they're imported) and we were going to watch them, but he forgot disc one at his house, so now i really want to see the series, especially after I learned that it's made by the same animators as Suzumiya Haruhi (I loved the Animation in that show).

Not technically same animators, but same original character designer which is Noizi Ito. But seriously, there's something about the way she draws the characters' eyes (mainly the girls) that makes them so mesmerizing. It'll be a while until the new Shakugan no Shana movie comes out, but I definetly can't wait to get my hands on the DVD. Mainly, I'm curious how the Ocean Group dubs this especially Tabitha St. Germain'srole as Shana. From the few sounds clips of her other roles I heard in CrystalAcids, she has the right bratty tone
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
yeah i enjoyed the series alot and i rated it excellent. Im probablyl gonna buy the dvds after i start working very soon.

i found a subbed promo for the movie Here
for anyone watching be sure to watch all of it, since it has alot of extra lil things and at the end of the video it does confirm that there is a second season in production which im sure alot of people already know. im pretty dam excited though since i thought the news on april fools day was fake. I wanna see how the love triange works out and i miss hearing shana's 3x shut up's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Can we give links to fansubed movie promos? It seems like really grey area, as it is technically illegal, but who in their right mind would care about fansubbing ads?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Personally, I gave SnS a 7.6-7.8...For reference, I gave Haruhi an 8.7 and FSN a 7.2.
I haven't finished any of these series yet, I've just seen what has come out commercially. But so far I'd rank them as FSN best, then Haruhi, then Shana much lower. The non-closure of an ending (it's obvious by now) and going-on-forever-ness doesn't impress me. Drawings look nice though, don't get me wrong I still like Shana.
mathious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I actually have one dvd to go until I finish the series but so far I really enjoy it but if I were to rate it I would give it an 8.5 out of 10. It would be a 9 out of 10 but I really disliked the two blondes that were brother and sister. They really grossed me out especially because spoiler[they were kissing each other all the time.] I actually thought I was going to be sick a few times. The shows overall story was extremely good and that's the thing that I enjoy the most about anime. So I suppose that's why I enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist so much. I can't wait until I watch the final dvd.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked those two. They were funny, their grossness made me laugh. Occasionally though, they got a little too gross for me. But most of the time it was at a level that I actually found enjoyable to watch, if only because it was so funny and slightly unusual (for a normal anime, I'm sure that stuff happens all the time in hentai anime).
xiaoxu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
hey those blodes are cute ok? i mean they totally can turn on any lolitia fans.spoiler[the kissing was HAWT] and sides,wads a little sibling luv?Anime hyper in anycase i wonder how shana and yuji and yoshida are gonna end up...whos gonna get yuji?? i really wanna noe.... Crying or Very sad
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
Tiriel's the girl and Sorath is the boy, right?

Personally, I think that Sorath doesn't care much for his sister and her attention towards him. He's more preoccupied with the Nietono no Shana and Tiriel seems to take advantage of that..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Arcanite Champion wrote:
My friend got the DVD's of it (I think they're imported) and we were going to watch them, but he forgot disc one at his house, so now i really want to see the series, especially after I learned that it's made by the same animators as Suzumiya Haruhi (I loved the Animation in that show).

Not technically same animators, but same original character designer which is Noizi Ito. But seriously, there's something about the way she draws the characters' eyes (mainly the girls) that makes them so mesmerizing. It'll be a while until the new Shakugan no Shana movie comes out, but I definetly can't wait to get my hands on the DVD. Mainly, I'm curious how the Ocean Group dubs this especially Tabitha St. Germain'srole as Shana. From the few sounds clips of her other roles I heard in CrystalAcids, she has the right bratty tone

Key said her voice was perfect. If she can make Flay even more psycho and insane, Shana wouldn't be a problem.

I like this series! The plot about the torches is creative and is the whole philosophical side to it is amazing. The only character I detest is Kazumi, but I liked everyone else. Dark motifs is a genre I like, which Shana is. The sibblings and that guy with the doll kinda scared me, but they were the bad guys.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't expect to like this series, but it really grew on me. I think the turning point were those flashback episodes (or a bit before) where the shift goes from Yuji to Shana. Shana makes a far more interesting protagonist than the bland Yuji. I agree that a second season is welcomed.
xiaoxu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
huh...i din't know the voice cast for flay and shana are the same...would that be the english dubbing or the original japanese dub? I've only heard the japanese one...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the movie is out!

spoiler[At first, I was a bit uneasy about it since I heard it's actually an alternate retelling of the first 6 episodes of the first season. For the most part it was especially since some of the familiar scenes (like when Yuji first met Shana, the whole Yukari incident, and the undressing of Shana) were reused. BUT there were some key differences!

- Kazumi Yoshida actually got in a couple more scenes whereas in the TV series, there was not much.

- They cut out some of the comedy bits like Shana pwning the teachers, and Yuji waking up and being surprised she's on his bed.

- There's an insert song during the final scenes of Yuji's futile attempt of not letting Yukari Hirai disappear.

- The first appearance of Margery Daw actually didn't end up with her fighting against Shana. Hell, this is when both Shana and Yuji first met her.

- In addition, both Shana and Margery Daw actually worked together in order to fight against Friagne.

- The final fight scenes against Friagne were FAR better choreographed than the TV series as it showed the true extent of Friagne's powers especially with Marienne's ability to possess dummies and the Trigger Happy gun. This is where J.C. Staff's dumped a lot of the movie budget on!

- The Flame of the Heaven's true form is revealed, and it was BAD ASS!

]

This was surprisingly an enjoyable movie. While some people may already get bored with the beginning assuming you've already seen the first few TV episodes, near the end it really blows the TV version away. Heck, now I can't watch the TV's version without thinking about the movie! Surprised

Hopefully once Geneon's problems are clear, they'll be able to release this on DVD soon.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Question: Could I watch the movie without having seen the series or will it spoil me? Also how exactly does it relate to the series, sequel, standalone, recap, etc.?
Ragg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Im glad that someone else also shared the hype I did for this movie. I found it just a little disappointing though, since I was hoping it would be more of a bridge between season1 and season2, however it wasn't but that's all good.

I'll agree with you chibi spoiler[Alastor's form when released was KICK ASS]. Also I enjoyed the song too, which is why it is playing right now.

Other things that pertain more to the story that I noticed were spoiler[Yuji didn't yell at Shana in class, which I thought was a pretty big with the resentment of Shana taking over Hirai's identity]

Anyway, a pretty good movie overall, shame it was a recap, although the movie did do spoiler[Friagne's fight a whole lot more justice than the T.V show did.]

And to your question Kruszer, you could watch the movie, but there are definitely some parts that'll leave you confused on how things connect together. Some of the character introductions are short, such as spoiler[when Hirai meets Yuji in the CD store. They seem to not know each other, but somehow Yuji knows her name afterwards. I unno maybe I missed something personally here, or maybe just cause they are classmates, but I thought that was odd. Nothing really big though.]. However, I personally believe that if you watch the first season before watching the movie, or at least the first 6 or 7 episodes, the movie will hold a lot more meaning to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18