• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
So, I recently finished watching this series and have been unable to stop thinking about it ever since. There's just so many elements I find appealing; like the art style, duels, choral rock songs, the relationship between Utena, Akio, and Anthy, and most of all the awesome ending where spoiler[Anthy walks out of Ohtori Academy.]

I honestly can't think of any story that's affected me this much since I watched Haruhi Suzumiya. It's an anime classic.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
So, I recently finished watching this series and have been unable to stop thinking about it ever since.

Go watch the movie! Smile Utena is my favorite anime ever I've watched it about 8 times and get something new from it everytime. Criminally ignored but sadly that happens with most shoujo. People go on about anime classics like Evangelion, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, while stuff like Utena, Oniisama E & Princess Tutu get comparatively ignored.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1-19

I'd hoped I'd be able to finish the series before the marathon was over, but some unexpected circumstances ruined that plan *grumble grumble*

Anyway, this is one I'd been wanting to check out for a while, especially after watching Mawaru Penguindrum, because it made me very interested in Ikuhara's work.

I am really, really enjoying this series. Ikuni's directorial voice is loud, you can definitely see a lot of his signature style here. Even if the series hasn't aged very well in terms of animation, it's completely negligible because the themes are so relevant even up to date, and the strong Ikuni visual style keeps it fresh and interesting.

I wasn't a big fan of Ikuhara's most recent work YKA because I felt it got too caught up in being a symbol that it forgot to make the characters believable and relatable in any way. I was pleased to see this problem is not present in Utena. The title character herself is amazing and so tridimensional and complex. spoiler[The dicotomy between wanting to find her prince and wanting to become a prince for other girls in need is amazing and unique]. I adore every second she spends on screen and how she connects with the other characters. The character work in general is superb, both the development and the twists. The show obviously has a lot to say about toxic relationships and the idealization of fairy tales, especially how that affects girls' perception of relationships. I loved how they portrayed spoiler[Touga's betrayal and his manipulation of Utena's dream] and spoiler[the unhealthy, possessive love Saionji feels for Anthy]. Even fodder-like episodes like the ones with the Black Rose using the Student Council's loved ones to create Duelists to fight Utena say a lot about different kinds of relationships. I'm very frustrated that I didn't get to finish it, but I'll try to power through the rest next week.

On a side note, the OST is fantastic, I love the background songs for the duels (I've had the Apocalypse song going round and round in my head since I started watching), and the opening is amazing, I'm obsessed with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4