• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Areaith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Poor poor Matt *shakes head back and forth*
spoiler[Just a few minutes of screen time, gets pumped full of lead, and stains his fluffy coat with his own blood.]
Poor poor Matt
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The mini-TV was about US$330 dollars from memory. Of course, they gave the figure in Yen, but assuming roughly US$1 = ¥100, it works out. As Light is watching the garbage truck pull away, Ryuk mentions that it was very expensive, but Light counters that it is better to be out of pocket than in jail awaiting the death penalty.

As for Rem, I don't know what all the big fuss was over her gender. I knew as soon as I heard her voice that she was female. In fact, I thought nothing of it at the time. I didn't go "Oh, she's female". I was too engrossed in the Anime to care.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Nepplar wrote:
It is obvious that Light is quick witted and extremely smart so after watching the series i wondered why exactly he spoiler[ killed the fake "L" when the broadcast was live only in Japan wouldnt he think about it and quite possibly come to the conclusion that its a trap other than panicking like he did? It just seems a little out of character for someone so smart. Especialy considering that this mistake is HUGE and leads to his eventual downfall ]
Also I wonder how L spoiler[ came to the conclusion that Kira is in Japan, it doesn't explain this in the anime, and i havn't read the manga, all that happens is one of the Japanese police force guys says "What do you base this theory on?" L says "I hope to be able to show you soon..." not giving a clear answer as to why he thinks so. ]
I'm just wondering why Light makes this big mistake when throughout the anime he overcomes seemingly bigger obstacles without much effort.

The idea is that he's just coming into infamy, and wanting to make a definite name for himself. As evidenced by how he views the 2nd Kira's actions, he has a totally egocentric view of his own reputation and what "Kira" means to everyone. He WANTED the world to see L die, and very badly. He even says it a couple times. It would be key to showing the world that anyone who crosses him is judged evil and will be cut down. That's why he did it, and especially why he did it on live TV. (He does wisen up over time, of course, slowly getting more devious and less hasty. The stint with spoiler[Raye Penber was made in haste, certainly, as Raye was about to clear him!] But Light was overly offensive up front and slowly oozed into his defensive, manipulative state as spoiler[the new L overtime.] As dtm42 put it, that's just character development.

As for L, heck yes it explains why he chooses Japan in the anime. He explains it during his long monologue on the live TV broadcast, I think, but if not it was a few episodes later. Basically, spoiler[of all the criminals documented that died of sudden heart attacks, the one closest to the time frame when Kira's killings were taken seriously, and the first one that fit the pattern was a criminal only reported inside of Japan at the time he was killed. Furthermore, he was an escapee holding a school hostage, the least serious of all offenders that Kira had killed up to that point. So, he was probably a guinea pig for Kira's powers, and Kira was clearly in Japan since that's the only place the crime was even reported.] Bingo and hey presto.
Nepplar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
sweet, thanks for setting me straight.
chingaling

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Rem, I don't know what all the big fuss was over her gender. I knew as soon as I heard her voice that she was female. In fact, I thought nothing of it at the time. I didn't go "Oh, she's female". I was too engrossed in the Anime to care.

That was only really a plot twist in the Manga since you couldn't tell. If I remember right, I think there was even a moment where she reveals her gender and Light gets surprised, which might mean they should've gone with a more male voice.

Quote:
Does anyone else think that they should have filled in Rem's voice with a male's tone in the dub? I thought it was interesting to find out that spoiler[she was actually a female shinigami ], the voice really threw me off in the Japanese anime.

Have you seen the live action version? Personally I think I got too used to Rem's voice in that. I don't mind the anime version, but at the same time I agree that a male sounding voice like the live action would've given way for the same plot twist (characters being one of the only decent things about those movies).
Lunarose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Areaith wrote:
Poor poor Matt *shakes head back and forth*
spoiler[Just a few minutes of screen time, gets pumped full of lead, and stains his fluffy coat with his own blood.]
Poor poor Matt

*Nods* And what's even sadder are all those fanfics about him and Mello even though he only got a few minutes of screen time. My, do the fans go crazy about these things... I do believe there are more LxLight supporters than LightxMisa. Or does the latter actually exist in today's fandom commmunity with the yaoi hype nowadays? Ah, nevermind.

So, Mello vs. Near. I do think Mello was actually a good candidate, but his character probably made it impossible for him to obtain the position as L's successor. Near is much more coolheaded and actually spoiler[lives to see the end of the series. ]Do you think this is implying that those who eat sweets are doomed? Anime smile What does Near eat anyways offscreen?
chingaling

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:
I do believe there are more LxLight supporters than LightxMisa. Or does the latter actually exist in today's fandom commmunity with the yaoi hype nowadays? Ah, nevermind.

spoiler[
- Constant tension and power struggling between the two
- Being so much alike in almost every way
- L gives Light a foot massage
- Fight scene
- Actually getting chained together at one point]

... Somehow I don't hold it against the Yaoi community.Laughing

I think if Near were in another Anime or L didn't exist, we'd like him at least a bit more. So I'm fine with him for that reason, but he did end up being a lot like L with toys instead of sweets.

Last edited by chingaling on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:
... I do believe there are more LxLight supporters than LightxMisa. Or does the latter actually exist in today's fandom commmunity with the yaoi hype nowadays? Ah, nevermind.

I think Misa's popularity is pretty low, so that doesn't help. I like Misa, but Light makes a horrible actual partner for anyone.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI addendum.....

So I was going through Glass Reflection reviews when I came across this review in which the reviewer spends a portion of time just dissing the Death Note fan boys (go to the 7:32 mark). Personally, I thought it was hilarious.
Saurabh Saket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:12 am Reply with quote
How Light never actually outsmarted L
Light tried all his mind games but was never able to outsmart L on his own. The closest Light got to L’s real name was when Misa came across them on the college campus and saw L’s real name with her Shinigami eyes, which was pure co-incidence and not a planned move. However, she was immediately apprehended by L under the suspicion of being the second Kira. After being released, she couldn’t recall L’s name and had to again make the Shinigami eye deal which was never utilized for the said purpose. Nonetheless, Light was clever enough to trap REM in a position to choose between Misa’s short remaining life and killing L, which would eventually result in REM’s own death. REM went ahead with the second option and sacrificed herself. After her death, the diary collected by Light contained L’s name, which turned out to be L Lawliet.

It can clearly be sad that L was not outsmarted by Light in any manner. However, here is the simple change in the storyline which would have made the series a lot more interesting.

The foundation of my version of story
Remember the episode where both L and Light topped the college entrance test and were awaiting their chance to address the audience? L reveals his identity to Light and at the same time uses a fake name of Hideki Riyuga which also happened to be the name of a famous pop star. Assuming the name to be real, Light himself faced the problem to execute the death note on him as he might picture the face of the pop star while writing the name, killing the pop star and not L. This exact problem could have been used to put Light in the most difficult situation he could face in the whole series.

Just suppose Light was somehow able to know L’s real name by any means. Let’s assume, at the point when Misa gets her memory back and couldn’t recall L’s name. Assume she remembered the name and tells it to Light. Now here is the point, what if L’s real name was Light? If we look at the plot of series, it would be quite feasible to allot L that name as following strong deductions could’ve been added:

1. Light attracted L’s attention the most as inter alia, he shared the same name and similar intelligence.

2. Due to this attention, L was coincidentally able to pic some more tips which supported his suspicion on Light.

3. It gives a strong assurance for L to show his face as he would also know that Light cannot write down his name even after knowing it. It just further strengthens L’s suspicion to take drastic step of coming in font of Light which he never did to anyone before.

Back to Light. After he comes to know about L’s real name (Light), he would not have been able to write it down on notebook as he would face the same problem of picturing his own face. Furthermore, he also could not make someone else write L’s real name down as they would also stand a risk of picturing Light’s face. Evidently, there are just handful of people who knew both L’s and Light’s face out of which most are police officers and the most probable candidate therefore, being Misa. Even if Light specifically asks Misa to not picture his face, it would eventually result in Misa picturing Light face (exactly like the story where a monk tells his student to not picture a monkey while meditating and then the student could never meditate because remembering the order of his Guru resulted in picturing the monkey). Also, Light could not ask a stranger as he was under constant surveillance.

Just imagine what a plot it would have been where Light knew L’s name but could not use it. If we proceed further on this line, just imagine what if Light was put in a similar position by L as put by N in the final episode where he is completely exposed based on material evidence. As a last resort, Light would collect enough courage to write L’s real name but in panic, while not trying to picture his own face, ends up doing the same and kills himself. Wouldn’t had it been a better climax? However, I am completely satisfied with how the series ended and have no problem with it whatsoever. I just never wanted L to die.

L > Light > N
The claim of N that he and mellow together surpassed L is bogus, he could do whatever he did because he started his work on the same foundation created by L. Had L not been in the picture, N wouldn’t have known a thing unless he used L’s finding. L’s death was itself a great amount of help in N’s investigation. And after all, N won because Mikami did something which was explicitly prohibited by Light hence N was never able to outsmart Light and falls below both L and Light. Rolling Eyes
jirotheking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
The Premise:
Near is a genius. But to hell with Near because Mello will be NUMBER ONE!
Mello and his trusty side kick Matt have taken a more hands on approach to investigation
and they (well mostly Mello actually) are determined to solve the case before Near
AT ALL COSTS. But when Mello's investigation leads him to the Mafia Underworld
it puts Mello on a dark self destructive path that has Matt worried.

How I see it:
I think this would work best as a dark comedy almost buddy cop movie. It would be a "monster of the day" type scenario except the Monsters are criminals. This would take place between when Mello left the orphanage and before he joined the mafia.
Mello would be the brave but rash one and Matt would be the cautious but extremely loyal one. The Kira case would largely be in the background. Near would be the rival that Mello is obsessed with beating and despite their danger the mafia would essentially be treated like a joke for Mello (though Matt would be way more nervous.)

It would have a lot of awesome action. Matt's car would definitely need to get some in chases. I think what matters most for a tv series like this is that you have AWESOME
actors for Mello and Matt.

Also I am a Near and Mello fan. What do you all think?
Would you watch a Mello and Matt TV series?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I would. I found both Near and Mello to be profoundly uninteresting characters, and my enjoyment of the series dropped substantially after their introduction. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Death Note, and I think it had some profound issues right from the get-go, but at the very least watching Light and L play cat-and-mouse made for a fun ride. To this day I will never understand why the authors spoiler[chose to kill off L when they did, and then to replace him with what were essentially two far less charismatic half-clones. I don't mind the death itself so much, since it was clear that either Light or L needed to die before the end, but why in the world would you do it only 2/3 of the way through the story? It sucked all of the drama out of what came afterwards, and the series never recovered.] It remains one of the more baffling narrative decisions I've ever come across.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 57 of 57