• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Pokémon Company Demands US$4,000 From Party Planner to Settle Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Judging by the way the article is worded he spent $450 on the DJ and gift cards alone plus more on the other stuff. So according to him he did not make a profit.

Even if one were to run a party at a loss while using copyrighted IP for promotion of a commercial event, charging for admission, and selling copyrighted goods and/or goods that are associated with copyrighted IP, he/she would still be vulnerable to being sued since a company would view it as an attempt of profiting off of their IP.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
meruru wrote:
Normally I'm against copyright infringement, but I think it's pretty lame to sue your fans because they threw some themed party at a loss, and they already complied with the c&d as soon as they received it.

The difference is that he was making a business out of it, even if he said he did it at a "loss" somehow he was able to kept doing it.

He was putting his own money into it. Also, it doesn't make sense to me why you would point this out, as you're free to think whether the company should have done it out not, just I have my own lines where I think they should stop. This is not a question of legality, but whether they've been too harsh to their fan, since it's up to them how hard they want to persue it. I personally think it's unkind to go after people who are just being fans so harshly. I have more sympathy for the company, however, if it is true that they had sent c&d's to him before, and he ignored them.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
he's been hosting the parties for four years and The Pokémon Company has notified him multiple times to end them when they acknowledged him of copyright infringement using their IP on his poster and Facebook ads without notice and trying to make a profit out of it. Plus, Ramar Jones is the co-owner of Ruckus Productions, a movie company, so he should have already known how laws concerning IP protection work.

So not just a serial offender, but also someone who should have known better about copyright. It probably also wasn't such a smart idea to take a game targeted at children and associate it with adult beverages. So it's really all on Mr. Jones.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Many of those fans events make a lot of money if they know what they are doing. Your can't just take their word for it about losing money. Nintendo(TPCi) doesn't go after you if you make everything free and open to public.

Basically, as long you don't charge people money, you are fine.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I respect a company's right to protect their copyright. It is unfortunate that The Pokemon Company did not back away after the party was canceled. The lawyer they have on this case probably charges $4000 just to file the lawsuit.

Once the party was canceled, it would have been nice for TPC to cancel the lawsuit.

I hope in the future people realize that they should not be trying to generate revenue from someone else's property without permission.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
So not just a serial offender, but also someone who should have known better about copyright. It probably also wasn't such a smart idea to take a game targeted at children and associate it with adult beverages. So it's really all on Mr. Jones.

Oh yes indeed. At least Mr. Jones can take solace that The Pokémon Company was lenient at suing him for only $4,000 through a settlement; as massive as the lawsuit may seem, they could have easily sued him for five times that much.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it was only $4000
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/10/05/the-pokemon-company-sued-a-party-planner-for-infringement-but-not-all-is-as-it-seems.aspx

Looks like the settlement offer's been withdrawn. Maybe they go to court now?

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Even if one were to run a party at a loss while using copyrighted IP for promotion of a commercial event, charging for admission, and selling copyrighted goods and/or goods that are associated with copyrighted IP, he/she would still be vulnerable to being sued since a company would view it as an attempt of profiting off of their IP.

I understand that. The point I was trying to make was that no profit was made.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Gintoki3 wrote:
To be fair Nintendo and every company in their circle are extremely greedy and protective. They could have ended this after the party was cancelled but are suing instead. That proves my point. They don't care about fans and their love of their stuff they care about money and pride. It's a company but still suing after the fact is wrong.

If money was the real factor, then they would've went to a settlement, because the cost of their lawyers is far more expensive than getting $4000 from the guy.

Somer-_- wrote:
I understand that. The point I was trying to make was that no profit was made.

Wrong, the article clearly said he made $500 in ticket sales, which is a major no-no in Copyright laws.

You are not allowed to accept any kind of income or compensation when dealing with the copyright of another person or company. That's why you can draw fan art or cosplay, but when you start making money off that fan art or making costumes for cosplay without expressed permission of that company, you violate the copyright laws.

So I'm afraid this guy is going to lose this case.
leep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I think this case is frivolous at best and likely to be dismissed.
Pokemon can be considered a public domain IP, since it is a well known contraction of the original Nintendo Copyright of Pocket Monsters. While TPCi may own the international copyright to the brand of Pokemon, the fact that the public automatically associates certain characters (Pikachu) to this brand means that it has passed beyond the realm of private copyright into public domain.
This is somewhat similar to the recent ruling on "Happy Birthday to You" in that the associated products are of such ubiquitous association that one cannot be separated from the other.
Further in support is the fact that the Planner complied with the cease and desist letter. While the Planner may have made a small profit, in terms of the value of the copyright, it can be considered insignificant and the Judge may award damages to the Defendant for harassment and apply sanctions to the Plaintiff for filing a frivolous complaint that takes up the Court's time.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Wrong, the article clearly said he made $500 in ticket sales, which is a major no-no in Copyright laws.

You are not allowed to accept any kind of income or compensation when dealing with the copyright of another person or company. That's why you can draw fan art or cosplay, but when you start making money off that fan art or making costumes for cosplay without expressed permission of that company, you violate the copyright laws.

I think by profit he means coming out with more money than he started. According to him, he is throwing this party at a loss. The tickets are supposedly to cover some of the party costs. I think that is what Somer is getting at.

Edit: *was throwing the party at a loss.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Nintendo tends to go after this sort of stuff fairly often. In those cases, they send a C&D. If the offender complies with it, that's the end of the story.

TPCi doesn't. They go further. Even after that, they demand a money compensation that is outrageous in both its quantity (considering who it's directed to) and deadline.
This isn't defending, it goes way beyond with abuse, intimidation and "trying to set an example" with a figurative public execution.

TPCi is somewhat legally abusive towards other branches of Nintendo too. Whereas most of Nintendo's IPs freely cross over with each other as cameos, merchandise, and such, TPCi seems to only allow it to happen if it's Smash Bros. Whereas Satoru Iwata had promised to be more open with licenses to third-party manufacturers, TPCi has closed itself further.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Plus, Ramar Jones is the co-owner of Ruckus Productions, a movie company, so he should have already known how laws concerning IP protection work.

Trust me, I've worked with some small independent movie companies, and some of them have no clue how IP protection works. They get away with it only because they're small and low-profile. Works the other way too--oftentimes, they make no attempt to protect their own IPs, and when they lose those rights, they can't understand why.

LuckyAstei wrote:
Talking about the costs of tournaments there are entery fees reguardless of the type generally it's 5 bucks for a FNM tournament to as much as nearly 30 for a draft or prerelease. I think the pro tournies for Magic tend to go for a couple hundred a pop and that's with an Invite from WotC.

If Wizards of the Coast is involved, then it's an official tournament that's done according to Wizards of the Coast's rules. Prereleases are definitely official; otherwise, it'd be kind of suspicious to get cards in advance.

SWAnimefan wrote:

Yep, even if you don't make back as much as you spent, you can still get struck with a lawsuit because you are collecting money for your own purposes.

The fact that this guy was charging for admission into the party was likely a major factor in him getting caught in this case. I wonder if it wouldn't have happened had he legally declared the party a nonprofit event, if the ticket money was going to a charity, or he promised to not let the ticket fees go above whatever would've been the estimated cost of the party.

leep wrote:
Pokemon can be considered a public domain IP, since it is a well known contraction of the original Nintendo Copyright of Pocket Monsters. While TPCi may own the international copyright to the brand of Pokemon, the fact that the public automatically associates certain characters (Pikachu) to this brand means that it has passed beyond the realm of private copyright into public domain.
This is somewhat similar to the recent ruling on "Happy Birthday to You" in that the associated products are of such ubiquitous association that one cannot be separated from the other.

"Happy Birthday to You" is not technically in the public domain. During the case, it was revealed that the original sheet music, which Warner/Chappell has the rights to, only pertains to one specific version of the song, and only when played on the piano. You could play it on a guitar and it'll be legal, and you could change a chord here and there and play it on the piano and it'll be legal. It's not a case of public recognizability. Otherwise, Mickey Mouse and Ziploc bags would be public domain.

What you're thinking of is "trademark erosion," which happens when the trademark holder of a word or phrase fails to defend him- or herself in court when outside parties use that word or phrase enough that it falls into the public domain. And in each case, a judge has to declare it public domain.

As unfortunate as it sounds, this case is necessary for TCPi to keep a lock on its own copyrights and trademarks. If they let it slide, it's possible that they'd inadvertently open the floodgates, tons of other people will use the Pokémon name and Pikachu's image, and they'll become genericized. Unlike some other game companies, TCPi relies exclusively on one single IP, and hence it's one they absolutely cannot afford to lose for any reason.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

I think by profit he means coming out with more money than he started. According to him, he is throwing this party at a loss. The tickets are supposedly to cover some of the party costs. I think that is what Somer is getting at.

Edit: *was throwing the party at a loss.

Thank you that's exactly right. I'm saying he made revenue not profit. And I'm well aware that that fact doesn't get him out of this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
leep wrote:

"Happy Birthday to You" is not technically in the public domain. During the case, it was revealed that the original sheet music, which Warner/Chappell has the rights to, only pertains to one specific version of the song, and only when played on the piano. You could play it on a guitar and it'll be legal, and you could change a chord here and there and play it on the piano and it'll be legal. It's not a case of public recognizability. Otherwise, Mickey Mouse and Ziploc bags would be public domain.

What you're thinking of is "trademark erosion," which happens when the trademark holder of a word or phrase fails to defend him- or herself in court when outside parties use that word or phrase enough that it falls into the public domain. And in each case, a judge has to declare it public domain.

As unfortunate as it sounds, this case is necessary for TCPi to keep a lock on its own copyrights and trademarks. If they let it slide, it's possible that they'd inadvertently open the floodgates, tons of other people will use the Pokémon name and Pikachu's image, and they'll become genericized. Unlike some other game companies, TCPi relies exclusively on one single IP, and hence it's one they absolutely cannot afford to lose for any reason.

To explain further, trademark erosion leading to public domain is when a trademark holder fails to defend the trademark, and it becomes a generic term. Such as Xerox for copy machines, Bandaid for a little piece of adhesive with a pad on it.

With Pokemon, yes, it's well known, but no one uses the term for anything other than Pokemon. The best anime/Japanese-culture-related hypothetical situations I can think up would be if other people started using "Gundam" or "Zord" for their giant mechs, and Sunrise or Saban/Disney (depending on the era) didn't go after them about it. Once the words became common lexicon (and ruled on by a judge as such) for any giant mech, the company wouldn't be able to go after anyone using that.

Basically "you snooze you lose".
Nosehair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
The article seems biased, making it seem like big bad TPCi is picking on a poor fan, but in reality he is a repeat offender, for four years he has used the pokemon name to profit for himself with products that go against TPCi's image. Has TPCi asked him to c&d before? $4,000 is nothing for the company, why 4k exactly? 1k for each previous offense. He reports that he was at a loss with ticket sales and prizes, but he didn't mention projected earnings from the main event itself. You guys are underestimating how much you can make in a single night with alcohol alone. The guy could easily make a few grand even if only a couple hundred people showed up. Look at the picture, the guy is trying so hard to look like a victim, but he's a schemer and smeared the pokemon name with sex and alcohol for his own profit. TPCi doesnt want money from him, they just really don't want pikachu being used as a sex symbol. the 4k is just to get him to stop permanently. If he tries this again next year, I'm sure TPCi will ask for double.
Also, using a crowdfunding site to pay off a lawsuit sounds so wrong, there should be a law against that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3