• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unsympathetic Illustration of Refugee Sparks Uproar in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
They're fleeing war, not poverty. How much money they have is irrelevant, because money doesn't prevent you from getting blown to pieces or pressed into fighting.

They aren't desperate people fleeing war. If they were then they'd gratefully settle in the first peaceful country they get to who would accept their application. But these people aren't doing that; they insist on bypassing Hungary and Italy and Turkey and instead try to make their way to Germany or Britain. And all those boat people in South-East Asia want to go to Australia despite passing over a dozen peaceful countries along the journey.

They're not desperate, they're picky.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

They're fleeing war, not poverty. How much money they have is irrelevant, because money doesn't prevent you from getting blown to pieces or pressed into fighting.

If they really were feeling war, they wouldn't be complaining about having to share living spaces, or demanding to be placed in certain countries, would they?
Chrysostomus

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
and you'd be hard pressed to find anything in Islamic history as devastating as the Thirty Years and Napoleonic Wars, let alone the two World Wars;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur
Seska1973

Chrysostomus wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Could that be a contributing factor? Maybe. Saying you can trace it back is a dishonest and misleading way to say it at best.
Please tell me how many Eastern religions are dedicated to charity in the same way Christianity is. How many Eastern religions inspire people to leave everything behind and dedicate their lives to the poor?

Name me any other religion which exalted the poor/disenfranchised as much as Christianity has, to the point that the Supreme Being chose to be born as a peasant and live among them.

Buddhism Monks?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Well. That got ugly quick.

I don't think there's anything unusual about sending over young men, nor with folks having phones. Think about how ubiquitous phone use is nowadays; you can use it to get alerts, news, maps, weather info--all things refugees would be in need of.

(And if we're being honest, if I were an Arabic person, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be placed in a country with a history of Islamophobia.)

Moreover, young men have no responsibilities; no children they are directly responsible for (since that usually falls to young women). They are fit and able to contribute to the economy of the country that receives them, and as far as I can tell, that more or less fits countless stories I've heard from my own (Chinese) family about sending over one person--a man--to do hard labor and earn enough to bring his family--and extended family--over.

Nothing about this screams "world takeover"; it just mirrors a repeated trend in immigration that's been done hundreds of times over since the last century.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

If they really were feeling war, they wouldn't be complaining about having to share living spaces, or demanding to be placed in certain countries, would they?

I don't know, would they? It's not like I've ever personally experienced fleeing war that I would know what a person is likely to do.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Exactly. There are plenty of safe countries with supposed refugees passing by not wanting to stay there which means those people have to be motivated by something else.

I don't doubt there are legitimate refugees, but it isn't 100% of them.

Seska1973 wrote:
Buddhism Monks?

I wouldn't bother. Facts and logic don't work with hard core religious zealots. Samuelp was approaching things logically and academically which made going back and forth with him worth it.

whiskeyii wrote:
Moreover, young men have no responsibilities; no children they are directly responsible for (since that usually falls to young women). They are fit and able to contribute to the economy of the country that receives them, and as far as I can tell, that more or less fits countless stories I've heard from my own (Chinese) family about sending over one person--a man--to do hard labor and earn enough to bring his family--and extended family--over.

The problem is that doesn't make you a refugee. That makes you an economic migrant. From wikipedia:
"An economic migrant is someone who emigrates from one region to another to seek an improvement in living standards because the living conditions or job opportunities in the migrant's own region do not satisfy expectations.[1][2] Economic migrants who work outside their home country are termed migrant workers by the United Nations."

That is what you are describing, and that in itself isn't a problem. The problem comes from the fact that being an economic migrant doesn't mean that the host country foots the accommodations. Qualifying as a refugee usually does and should. Economic migrants are pretending to be refugees to exploit the system.

For comparison, read here is what wikipedia says is a refugee according tot he geneva convention on refugees in the first paragraph:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee

Notice how absolutely nothing in there has anything to do with economic situation?

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Offensive: Not really, a lot of it as it is true for a large percentage of the refugees that are in Europe but not so much the US.

I'm not for Syrian refugees coming in the country, because of the heavy security risks, ISIS or Hamas can place agents in with refugees and they can kill thousands, it's a different time with a desperate enemy who will stop at nothing to destroy the West and not like the 90's where it is safer to let them in (example: refugees from Somalia that are currently living in the US). I'm a better safe than sorry person when it comes to the safety of my country.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
By the EU's own numbers, only 1 in 5 of the "refugees" is actually from Syria, and by the UN's 70% are male.

When you're fleeing war to become a refugee, you don't leave your family behind and send the strongest male. You take everything and everyone you can carry with you and you go. You do have to apply for refugee status you know, a single male trying to get a job isn't a refugee no matter what definition you go by. A whole family with all their life's possessions and nowhere to go are refugees (who are legally unable to work in the country they've fled to for a certain period of time after arriving, so it makes even less sense to send a single male over).

Some of the migrants are now making comments to newspapers about how they wish they had never left Syria/etc because they had much better than a little bed in a gym back in Syria, they're being treated so poorly in Europe boo hoo, to which I say go right ahead nobody's gonna stop you.

There's nothing wrong with accepting refugees, but completely opening your borders to any third world minority who feels like moving in is not accepting refugees. Germany is so overwhelmed they're evicting citizens to use their homes for migrant housing, they just passed a law saying the government has the right to seize commercial property to use as migrant housing.

Just wait until it's winter. Merkel had absolutely no plan when she opened the borders and she has absolutely no plan now. If anyone should be blamed for all the people left to die by the human traffickers they paid to smuggle them into the EU, it's her.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
While there are genuine refugees out there among those people, there are also those who are "riding the wave" by claiming to be refugees, while in reality there are economic immigrants. Going from Syria (and let's assume that all those who claim to be Syrian really are) and ending up in Germany, Sweden, Norway, the U.K., or even as far as the U.S., isn't "escaping war," but seeking a better life style.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Botan_TM wrote:
Did Muslims ever said sorry for centuries of abducting Africans as slaves and Europeans Christian women as sex slaves? Centuries of piracy in Mediterranean? Capturing Christian child and training them as a fanatic soldiers? Bloody conquests in India? Eradication and humiliation of Christians in North Africa, Spain, Middle East, Byzantium and Balkans? Destroying today almost forgotten religions in Iraq and Persia?

Do you really want to play a game who did more evil things? Are you sure throwing blame on one side is a good idea and it will solve anything?

I don't want to throw blame on one side. I want to point out the hypocrisy of bringing up every nasty thing Muslims have ever done while ignoring 90% of European history which includes the exact same things, often on a larger scale. You can't claim that European society is more enlightened when we have the freakin' Holocaust still within living memory.

Oh, and you should bring yourself up to date on modern scholarship on religious conversion in areas under Muslim conquest.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
It's fact. Nothing to do with Racism, why is it that every country is bringing more and more and more refugees and helping them, but never stopping and thinking "Hmm, what about the war in Syria? How should we ALSO end it and rebuild a stable home for them again?" What's happening now, which is being praised is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Bringing them in doesn't solve anything. The war is still happening, you are just prolonging the inevitable when SOME and I mean SOME, play wolf-in-sheep's clothing and successfully invade thus expanding the threat and problem even more. Everyone has their thumbs in their asses or feeling "offended" nowadays. Think about it, it's fine to help them feel safe, but you ALSO have to help stop the war. Ignoring the problem does not solve it.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
WTF is wrong with this forum??
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

They aren't desperate people fleeing war. If they were then they'd gratefully settle in the first peaceful country they get to who would accept their application. But these people aren't doing that; they insist on bypassing Hungary and Italy and Turkey and instead try to make their way to Germany or Britain. And all those boat people in South-East Asia want to go to Australia despite passing over a dozen peaceful countries along the journey.

They're not desperate, they're picky.

Germany is accepting applications; the closer countries aren't.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
WTF is wrong with this forum??

It seems people are not blind apologists of political-correctness. While many a privileged westerner might feel the world should be all sugar and rainbows, the reality is quite different, and we common folks know it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6