• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

That's some nice selfishness you have going for you.

So you would imply I would be selfless through purchasing the dub? I've only see the Haruhi series fully once, and it's my policy to not revisit something I've seen unless for screenshots or the like for use on Yotsuba. Rather, it would be an 'evaluation' of sorts, no different from watching an anime legally purchased but owned by a friend.

True, I will not be bequeathing money onto Kadokawa and Bandai, but I am purchasing another pricey DVD so that does not de-legitimize my credibility as an anime consumer or as a BZE patron.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote
Dude, I just have to say, it's stupid to not buy a series you found enjoyment in just because you have prematurely formulated the outcome of the product... I'm going to borrow a popular sports cliche, "That's why games aren't played on paper".-- for the sports ignorant; it's used when a huge upset occurs-- not that you couldn't figure that on your own...

You should probably "test" out the dub before you label it a "generic" dub; who knows, maybe they'll surprise you... Personally, I will forever remember Bosch as Vash the stampede; however, this is not to say that he might not deliver a knockout performance and show you a totally new range in his voice... *sigh* why are so many English actors limited to one character archetype? Why can't they have the vocal control of Hirano Aya? I mean, their both professionals, right?

Just a question, you'd choose Fate/Stay Night over Haruhi?! Wow! I thought no one would buy that series the way it fizzled out in the end... to each his own I guess...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

That's some nice selfishness you have going for you.
So you would imply I would be selfless through purchasing the dub? I've only see the Haruhi series fully once, and it's my policy to not revisit something I've seen unless for screenshots or the like for use on Yotsuba. Rather, it would be an 'evaluation' of sorts, no different from watching an anime legally purchased but owned by a friend.

True, I will not be bequeathing money onto Kadokawa and Bandai, but I am purchasing another pricey DVD so that does not de-legitimize my credibility as an anime consumer or as a BZE patron.
If you guys want to debate the ethics of fansubs, keep it out of this thread...there's another thread going for that (currently), and I think y'all can find it even without me linking to it.

Dormcat: Sorry, I confess, I did submit an error report for the "de-show?" spelling Embarassed But since I saw two versions of the song, and one with a non-standard romanization that I'd never seen before, I figured that one was wrong.
consilience

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
So when is the second season coming out?

And is it just rumors or real at this point?
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The second season was announced by Moon Phase a little while back, to be released in Fall 2007, but it has yet to be confirmed by Kyoto Animation. The only project Kyoto Animation has announced so far after they finish Kanon 2006 is Lucky Star, which is 13 episodes long and debuts in April, so the Fall 2007 slot for KyoAni is still open.

However, it is interesting to note that in that same article in Moon Phase, a second season of Zero no Tsukaima was also announced along with Haruhi. I believe J.C. Staff just recently confirmed that there will indeed be another season of Zero no Tsukaima, which lends credibility to Moon Phase's report.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The second season of Zero no Tsukaima was announced at least a month ago. However, I wouldn't expect to hear about Kyoto Animation's new project until around the time Kanon ends at the earliest. And if they decide to take a break for a season after Lucky Star, it may not be until Lucky Star ends or later.
8daze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
Don't forget: they actually went with the results of what the fans voted for in the polls posted on the asosbrigade website.

What? I'm pretty sure I remember Kari Wahlgren beating Wendee Lee in Haruhi's poll.

On another note, the opening theme in English! (Fanmade, nobody have heart attacks.)

Edit: And the ED.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
8daze wrote:
Mirrinus wrote:
Don't forget: they actually went with the results of what the fans voted for in the polls posted on the asosbrigade website.

What? I'm pretty sure I remember Kari Wahlgren beating Wendee Lee in Haruhi's poll.

On another note, the opening theme in English! (Fanmade, nobody have heart attacks.)

Edit: And the ED.

Wow, that opening theme is pretty good. The girl actually sounds a bit like Hirano Aya. Not as impressed by the ending, but I think it's because I like Hare Hare Yukai far more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The OP was much better than the ED. It could actually be done well if it was professionally made but I'm not so sure about Hare Hare Yukai. I hate english translations of Japanese songs, it usually just sounds so wrong.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I knew the name Cristina Vee sounded familiar, and I could've sworn that she posted here on ANN before. Turns out I was right. Looks like her dream came true after all, if I'm not mistaken she's now a professional VA.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
8daze wrote:
Mirrinus wrote:

Also, Michelle Ruff came in second on the Yuki poll.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Those songs both gave me bumps while watching and listening to them Shocked Somehow they didn't sound right. It was probably the tone of voice or something to that extent. Makes me wonder what will happen when they actually dub it.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Those songs both gave me bumps while watching and listening to them Shocked Somehow they didn't sound right. It was probably the tone of voice or something to that extent. Makes me wonder what will happen when they actually dub it.

Usually they don't dub theme songs....I'd be more worried about God Knows and Lost My Music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Usually they don't dub theme songs....I'd be more worried about God Knows and Lost My Music.

Yeah, I know that, but based on this show's popularity don't you think there is a slight chance that they might actually try to dub the theme songs?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:

Yeah, I know that, but based on this show's popularity don't you think there is a slight chance that they might actually try to dub the theme songs?

Not at all. With the exception of 4Kids dubs (American kids can't handle Japanese!), I've never seen a theme song dubbed or changed, and unless Bang Zoom! wants legions of angry internetters after them, I doubt they'll try. The only remotely similar thing I can think of was when they used the Ready Steady Go opening for FMA instead of Melissa and Undo, but that was for promotional reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 213