• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I doubt this type of outright flaming is allowed on this or any board.

You haven't been on the internet long enough.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It was only a suggestion that some of the votes were spammed out, and I know for a fact that it can have an effect because I've seen it happen.

Did you notice my comment before about all the "worst ever" ratings spammed on Haruhi? They had almost NO effect at all. It shows the votes, but the rating bars are affected by them very little and I'd suspect they count very little if any to the overall score of the show.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I feel the same way about Goto, annoying but fitting in most cases.

Gotou's voice doesn't really bug me that much, after hearing Mamiko Noto in about ten different anime. Her voice bugs me a lot sometimes, but it usually fits the character really well.

Having this connection can make it kinda creepy though; you can just entirely anticipate Mikuru to pull an angry Kaede anytime.

Last edited by frentymon on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
You know, on that note, has anyone else noticed the shape of the bar graph? It's pretty funny:

Maybe it's just me, but if those were all legitimate votes it should be in the shape of a bell curve, not an INVERSE bell curve. The lowest point should ALWAYS be either 1 or 10, not 3/4 Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but if those were all legitimate votes it should be in the shape of a bell curve, not an INVERSE bell curve. The lowest point should ALWAYS be either 1 or 10, not 3/4 Rolling Eyes

No, that's wrong, I'm afraid. It would be quite true if you were analyzing the oucome of, say, a hundred balls thrown for distance by a pitcher. Sure, that would be a classic bell curve.

But rating an anime, especially one that has garnered a great deal of popularity, is a social action, not a physical phenomen -- it isn't necessarily bound to follow a bell curve in aggregate. On the contrary, opinions are far more likely to be polarized into love-versus-hate. It is more unusual for someone to rate an anime "decent" or "so-so" than it is for them to declare their undying love of or hatred for it.

Human nature is predictable, but not necessarily normally distributed.

- abunai
Voted "Excellent" on SHnY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I recently saw the first episode. It threw me off a little bit. The "first" episode being a crappy home video with terrible acting, poor camera work, laughable special effects, an inconsistent storyline, and other stuff. It was a great "first" episode and Haruhi Suzumiya is one crazy person. Why is Kyon even involved with her in the first place?

I enjoyed it and got a good laugh out of the home video. I saw bits and pieces of some other episodes. One such includes Haruhi trying to have the computer club give them a computer. It was a great watch and I hope someone licenses this in the near future.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Smile I hope someone licenses this show soon too...

how long do you think it'll take for the show to be released on dvd after it's been licensed?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Quote:
Furthermore, although Suzumiya Haruhi herself stereotypes Itsuki Koizumi as a mysterious transfer student, all of the major characters in the show are stereotypes, to one degree or another. Haruhi is the short tempered, aggressive heroine that we're seen before as Chidori Kaname from Full Metal Panic, Kaoru Kamiya in Rurouni Kenshin, and Tomo Takino from Azumanga Daioh. Kyon is the typical passive male protagonist from slice of life anime. He's similar to characters like Hiroyuki Fujita of To Heart and Kenji Tomosaka from Lamune. Yuki is the robotic introvert in the vein of Nadesico's Ruri Hoshino, Evangelion's Rei Ayanami, and Ninomai Kisaragi from Happy Lesson. Mikuru Asahina is the shy and easily embarrassed klutz, similar to Ai Yori Aoshi's Taeko Minazuki and Mahoromatic's Minawa Ando. The characters are interesting and fun, but not ground breaking.

The parallels he's drawn between the characters from other series are stretched rather thin. Just because a story's characters share some superficial similarities to characters from other stories does not render them stereotypical.

This is from a few pages back but I just had to answer. If you think that the HSnY character are even *slightly* original, you are utterly deluding yourself. Sure they are well fleshed, but even within the show, Suzumiya herself refers to Mikuru as the "moe lolita character", to Yuki as the "indispensable silent character", to Itsuki as the "mysterious transfer student". The show *itself* revels in the stereotypicalness of its characters, so don't even try to pretend they are original.

Steroid had some great arguments; I wish people would stop being so over-protective of HSnY. Sure it's great, but it looks like a lot of people have entrenched themselves and refuse to believe that it might have some (gasp!) un-original elements to it. If I had to name the theme of the series, I would say it's something like "we may want excitement and adventures from time to time, but in the end having a normal life is the best". Anobody else? What do you think the theme is? (if there is one)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I think the characters are original in that they have subtle and unique character traits built on top of the typical character cliches. For example, Yuki actually has a sense of humor and personality underneath her stereotypical "silent and cold girl" attitude. There are definitely unoriginal elements, but I think that this series is unique in that it builds its own original elements on top of the tried and tired out cliches.

As for Haruhi, I don't think she notices the complete personalities of all of her SOS-Dan members.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
**glances back at the last few posts** Okay, ratings, themes, inverse bell curves (inverse bell curves???)...yeah, that's nice. **ignores**

So anyway, to answer undeadben's question, I have gone back to watch the series again, but not in chronological order. It just seems like it would suck the fun right out of the show. Which isn't to say that I haven't started writing down what happens in each episode, but that's different! Anime smile + sweatdrop I've been picking up on so many little things that I missed the first time -- it's great!
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

This is from a few pages back but I just had to answer. If you think that the HSnY character are even *slightly* original, you are utterly deluding yourself. Sure they are well fleshed, but even within the show, Suzumiya herself refers to Mikuru as the "moe lolita character", to Yuki as the "indispensable silent character", to Itsuki as the "mysterious transfer student". The show *itself* revels in the stereotypicalness of its characters, so don't even try to pretend they are original.

Steroid had some great arguments; I wish people would stop being so over-protective of HSnY. Sure it's great, but it looks like a lot of people have entrenched themselves and refuse to believe that it might have some (gasp!) un-original elements to it. If I had to name the theme of the series, I would say it's something like "we may want excitement and adventures from time to time, but in the end having a normal life is the best". Anobody else? What do you think the theme is? (if there is one)

I hope your not basing your theme on the fact that Kyon is always complaining about how hectic his life is, that's just his personality... He even says that he likes the way his life is, despite all the complaining that he does, how he wants life to stay like this forever... you have to take kyon's complaints with a grain of salt... Mr. Green if anything, I think that theme is something more along the lines of: if you don't believe your dreams have even a chance of existing, even if it is possible, you'll never realize them... Evident from all the evidence haruhi has that strange things are happening around her, and she just blows them off, because her common sense says it's impossible.... (credit for pointing this out goes to someone on this forum) Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

edit:
wrote:

Suzumiya herself refers to Mikuru as the "moe lolita character", to Yuki as the "indispensable silent character", to Itsuki as the "mysterious transfer student".

like wise, you have to take haruhi's comments with a grain of salt as well, Haruhi also admits later on (vol. 2, prologue) that: spoiler[the people she picked at random couldn't possibly be aliens, espers, and time travellers.... ] and we all know how *right* she is about that, right? contradicting statements, or is Haruhi just not that sharp Anime smile + sweatdrop
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I see where you get that Dan, but I get a slightly different theme. To me, SHnY's theme is more like "You're life may seem bland and boring, but if you look a little harder you'll see that it's actually very interesting".

I think Kyon's line from ep. 14 sums it up the best, spoiler["You just didn't know but the world was definitely moving in an interesting direction."]
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

No, people shouldn't be over-protective, but at the same time, people shouldn't be hyper-critical just because something is popular.

You know, there's an ancient Chinese curse that goes something like, "May you live in interesting times." Normal life isn't bad. Normal life isn't good. The same could be said about an exciting life; the point is that a life should be made up of BOTH normal and exciting things -- it's not really a question of best. To me, SHnY shows both the exciting and the mundane and how they complement each other. No, not every single element in the show is revolutionary or new, but there's enough skill and novelty in how the show is put together to more than make up for that.

You ask what the theme is, and truthfully, I don't know. I haven't really thought about it. No, actually, I don't care what the theme is. I watched the show, I loved it, and now I'm spending my spare time discussing the show in an online forum because I loved it so much. I don't necessarily think that it shatters anime archetypes, but I do think it's unique in its own way; I also know that I don't watch the show so that I can vicariously try to "fetter" the weirdos of the world, as someone posted earlier. Rolling Eyes

Suffice to say: Suki no mono wa suki dakara shouganai!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
you have to take kyon's complaints with a grain of salt...
<snip>
you have to take haruhi's comments with a grain of salt as well

Occam's razor states that the obvious is more likely than the un-obvious read-between-the-lines taken-with-a-grain-of-salt interpretation. Razz Likewise with the character archetypes. Yuki may have a subtle (very subtle) sense of humor, but in the big picture she's still a overwhelmingly stereotypical quiet-type character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
You know, there's an ancient Chinese curse that goes something like, "May you live in interesting times."

Enlighten me please. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Zero89 wrote:
you have to take kyon's complaints with a grain of salt...
<snip>
you have to take haruhi's comments with a grain of salt as well

Occam's razor states that the obvious is more likely than the un-obvious read-between-the-lines taken-with-a-grain-of-salt interpretation. Razz Likewise with the character archetypes. Yuki may have a subtle (very subtle) sense of humor, but in the big picture she's still a overwhelmingly stereotypical quiet-type character.

Kyon tells us he's a liar in Episode 14. I don't think Occam's razor applies to fiction, anyway. Often the least complicated solution is the wrong one: this is the principle most mystery fiction works under, for instance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 213