• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Shii wrote:
Nobody caught the Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead reference in ep 12?

Don't be so quick to cry "nobody".

I saw the reference, but I didn't think much of it since I've never seen the play nor the movie. I thought Itsuki's lines were interesting so I wikied the play and caught it's significance.

wiki wrote:
spoiler[
[Rozencrantz and Guildenstern], brought into being within the puzzling universe of the play, by an act of the playwright's creation, and those they encounter, often confuse their names, as they have interchangeable yet periodically unique identities.
]

Pretty cool stuff.

Edit:
Link for those who wanna read more.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Shii wrote:
Nobody caught the Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead reference in ep 12?

Don't be so quick to cry "nobody".

- abunai
Great fan of Tom Stoppard.

Heh, I caught it. I wouldn't have known what it was, but lucky I watched the movie version of it in one of my classes early this year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
I like how the small details in SHnY have layers of meanings, either pop references (Hard Gay, Who Wants to be a Billionaire) or sly in-jokes (ENOZ, the nekoman on the festival program) or clues about the show's themes and storyline (the soliloquy from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead that Koizumi happens to be delivering when Kyon walks in). Look carefully at the lyrics of the songs Haruhi is singing. spoiler[The first song seems to be foreshadowing events from the end of the first novel and from the fourth novel, and generally comments on Haruhi's strong-willed approach to life. The second song makes oblique references to the story of Tanabata- the stars are used as a device to illustrate the basic theme of separated lovers. "I look up at the stars and ask my own little light to tell me, Where are you right now?"]
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
I just noticed that the first "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" DVD is coming out tomorrow...

I have a feeling it's going to be a hectic day in Akiba tomorrow too.

Edit: #4 on the oricon. Pretty good, but it didn't beat the Hare Hare Yukai.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kyon's horrified/exasperated/disbelieving facial expressions have become one of my all-time favorite anime 'things'. In this episode, spoiler[When his one friend was like "Lets go pick up chicks!" and then it cuts to Kyon and he's like "You're might confident for someone with a zero percent success rate!", ] the expression on his face was HYSTERICAL, best in the series so far. I've begun using *Kyon-face* as an online 'emote' when people say stupid/exasperating things to me. Smile
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The animation in this episode really impressed me. They went far beyond what was necessary, particularly during the singing. They could have easily skimped on the animation there and just relied on the music to carry the scene, but they put a lot of detail in (like Haruhi sweating after being up on stage for a while and showing some of the wear and tear on the drums).

I agree wholeheartedly, but what really impressed me was the animation put into them actually playing the instruments. From what I could tell, the bass fingerings and drum strikes were nearly spot-on synchronous with the music; and while some of the guitar fingerings and chordal structures were slightly off in a few places, it was still staggeringly accurate. Especially considering that in most animes that I've seen that show people playing instruments the characters idly and repetitiously move their hands up and down their instrument with no apparent direction, which I can tell you is particularly vexing for a musician to watch.

Quote:
As of this episode, Kyoto Animation has officially become my favorite animation studio.

I would be inclined to agree; the meticulous detail put into the instrument playing alone gets Kyoto the utmost of my respect. Either at least one person on their staff can play bass and electric guitar and has a working knowledge of drums, or they brought in an advisory musician.

Oh, and how cool was Yuki in her witch get-up onstage with a guitar strapped on! Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As of this episode, Kyoto Animation has officially become my favorite animation studio.

KyoAni has been my favorite studio since the Fumoffu days, when they were regarded as the "new and unknown animation studio that succeeded where Gonzo failed." Also, unlike some other animation studios, they don't rely on monetary means to show off what they can do.
Neko_Haku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I am gonna give this anime a try. I have a question. Why do they mix up the chronological order of the anime?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
It seems like they wanted to have a particular event happen at the end for the climax. Also, I hear they are skipping events in one of the books or something, so jumping around may help mask that a bit or something.

Aside from that, it's just a touch that makes the show even more unique than it already is.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it took me so long to get around to watching this episode (usually I watch the moment I get the chance, but lately I've been slouching on all of my anime viewing). Anyway everyone's commented enough about Haruhi's ability to rock the house (and yes I enjoyed the first song very much as well). However on that subject, the line "God bless the two of us" stood out to me. I thought it was a reference on the writer's part to Haruhi and Kyon, and then at the same time since Haruhi is in a sense God she's unknowingly blessing herself and Kyon (that became a really strange thought). But there were other things I found odd significance in too. Such as the first sign we see says "Let your worldy desires run wild." I think the meaning behind this is pretty obvious. Also I wasn't sure how to interpret it but near the end when Kyon and Haruhi are having their small heart to heart the screen is white, then when Kyon tries to show Haruhi the positives of her performance the white fades and the backround becomes clear. Maybe it symbolizes Kyon being able to show Haruhi a part of herself that she doesn't know? Or it could possibly be symbolic of his knowledge of her power (knowing Haruhi better than she knows herself. Her view of herself is clouded while Kyon's is much clearer). I'm probably reading way too much into this but these were just some thoughts I had.

Four notes/gags I'd like to point out.

1. I would think someone in line would have at least noticed when that green haired girl (don't remember her name) said that everyone was lined up for "some bad fried soba made from cheap stuff...we're raking it in!"

2. Yuki telling people their future step by step (falls very much in line with her personality and I found it very humorous).

3. As someone mentioned earlier, Kyon's friend's practical 0 success rate being considered experience.

4. My personal favorite joke of the episode (I had to rewatch the scene because I didn't really notice till the end). When Kyon puts the change in his pocket and his friend says "Hey, split the change." to which he replies "Sharp guy." I got a few hard laughs from that one.

And while I'm kind of sad that there are only 2 episodes left, like most people I feel that this isn't the last we'll see of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Fui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
OT post here but...
Neko_Haku wrote:
I am gonna give this anime a try. I have a question. Why do they mix up the chronological order of the anime?

Did you just steal the Shana icon I made myself? It's nearly impossible you made that yourself or found it elsewhere on the internet because I personally took a scan of a much larger image, cropped it, and resized it to fit ANN standards.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
While we're looking at episode 12, which starts with the Culture Festival showing of the SOS-dan's homemade film Asahina Mikuru no Bouken and the OP thereof, Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, I'd like to draw your attention to something I noticed in the first episode, when we heard the whole OP.

During the finale of the OP, there's a voiceover by Mikuru in the background. It's slightly obscured, so I'd more or less failed to resolve it as anything other than background vocals.

I've gone back and listened to it again, and here's what Mikuru is singing:

エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな
(Ecchi ni nattara otona ni nareru no ka na)

Laughing

Fui wrote:
OT post here but...
Neko_Haku wrote:

Did you just steal the Shana icon I made myself? It's nearly impossible you made that yourself or found it elsewhere on the internet because I personally took a scan of a much larger image, cropped it, and resized it to fit ANN standards.

やっぱりNeko_HakuはDQN。

Neko-Haku, you're busted. Change that avatar.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな

For those of us who are not Japanese inclined, what does that mean? The only word I recognize is ecchi.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
abunai wrote:
エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな

For those of us who are not Japanese inclined, what does that mean? The only word I recognize is ecchi.

From my limited knowledge of Japanese, I think it means, " When you become ecchi/perverted, you're becoming* an adult, it seems."

I doubt I translated that correctly though.

And I think ecchi is really just how they pronouce "H" in Japan (as in H-game), although it's been taken to mean something different now.

*changed, once again...

Last edited by frentymon on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neko_Haku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Fui, I removed it. Anyways I downloaded the second episodes but for some reason my real player does not wanna play it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 213