• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I managed to get 4/4 on the minigame. I definitely didn't think that was going to happen. Admittedly, part of me isn't super happy that it happened since I voted the other way in both A-18 and A-20 but hey, points are a nice silver lining.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that was terribly, terribly funny, Vaisaga. And yeah, Piccolo did deserve more votes (he would have had a fighting chance against anyone else in this group), but he had the misfortune of running into one of the tourney's two strongest competitors. Really, I don't see anyone even significantly challenging Fakir until the Final Four, as there's simply no weak point to pick on with him.

Anyway, I've cooled down a bit, so I will get the next Group posted pronto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group C is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Two first-rounders (Nodame and Mashiro) powered their way into the third round through solid defeats of some of the weaker seeds, but here they face stiffer competition. Will either survive to advance to the Group Semifinals? Can feisty Taiga send a second contestant from The Twelve Kingdoms packing? Will we have more than one match that’s close this time? Let’s find out!

Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome

Group B-19
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum
vs.
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Even I only saw the initial Pilaf arc of Dragonball...

Piccolo was the only one I got wrong in my mini-game. I realised quickly that picking my guesses based on what's 'mainstream' was a mistake. Next time I'll focus on the 'highbrow' choices instead.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I think I actually got 4/4 this round too? Not too sure, but either way I'm glad Daikichi made it through. I did watch Claymore (albeit many years ago) but Daikichi's growth felt not only unique, but so very believable and incredibly satisfying as whole since every episode is a tiny step into his becoming a better parent
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm also glad Daikichi made it through^^ That was an awesome comeback! I do like that his arc is unique, but I think there's far more to him than "novelty." "Novelty" was the least of my reasons for voting for him. I think his improvement is very realistic, subtle, and gradual, which I like. I also think that even though he was a nice person from the start, he still improved substantially because his improvement had nothing to do with "niceness."
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, hell, I'm still irritated over last Group and know exactly how I'm voting this Group, so I'll lead off this time:

EDIT: But did you actually see Claymore, rheiders?

Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.

I'll be curious to see how this one goes. Supporting Chihiro partly because past comments have led me to believe that Nodame isn't an overly strong option and partly because the improvement Chihiro shows is pretty incontrovertible. She overcomes her doubts and blase attitude about her new school and bucks up impressively in the face of adversity despite being a helpless crybaby at first.

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome

I'm surprised that Mashiro is still here, but since she is, she's getting my vote. From what little I've seen of SB!, Kyoko does improve significantly, but Mashiro transforms from an unlikeable joke of a character to a ruler who tries diligently to be a respectable one. Few characters in this tournament reform themselves as drastically as she does.

Group B-19
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum
vs.

Ringo had some good arguments last round, but Scar simply isn't vulnerable here. Going from a brutal serial murderer to someone who can be trusted with the well-being of a girl who parents he killed, and going from being a vengeance-seeker to an integral part of the solution to removing Amestris's rotten core, counts for an awful lot.

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.

Don't think Taiga should have survived last round, and she definitely won't this round. Though Taiga is a higher seed, Shoukei turns herself around much more dramatically in transforming from a selfish person who only thought of, and felt sorry for, herself to one who actively contributed to a very moral revolt and went from despising the Queen of Kei based on what little she knew of her to wholeheartedly supporting her effort to clean up her kingdom's mess of corruption.

Last edited by Key on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Still awake so let's get this round going.

Group B-17

I have seen Spirited Away but only once and I was very tired at the time so I missed parts of it. Since it is a very well thought of movie, I was expecting Chihiro to do fairly well in this tournament. However, arguments in the last round made me think I had perhaps overrated her.

And then there's Nodame, who is made of awesome and, as someone other than me pointed out best in previous rounds, is a great example of how a character who starts out pretty good can still vastly improve. Thus she has my vote here and I am really hoping she might be able to beat out another seed because she definitely deserves to be here longer and, at this point, I don't feel like Chihiro does.

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!

Mashiro does sound like she is pretty awesome but I haven't seen any arguments made for her that make her sound quite in the same class as her competition. Kyoko is another character who has a drastic change at the beginning however she keeps on developing afterwards (at least from what I hear, since I've only seen the first couple of episodes).

Group B-19

Arguments made last round for Scar left a much greater impression than those for Ringo.

Group B-20

I didn't vote for Taiga last round and never doubted that I made the right voting choice then. Everything I've heard about Shoukei makes me pretty confident that not voting for Taiga is again the right decision (I really do need to start watching part 2 of Twelve Kingdoms).
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
EDIT: But did you actually see Claymore, rheiders?

Not past the first episode, no. I'm pretty sure none of us has seen every show in the tournament. I wasn't saying I've seen it, though; I was just saying I didn't vote for Daikichi because I "got too hung up on the supposed 'novelty' of Daikichi's improvement." I looked at Clare's write-up, the arguments for her and against Daikichi, and what I knew about Clare's character besides that, as well as what I knew about Daikichi, and made the choice I thought was best with the information I had. I'm sure it was the same for others. That's all I'm saying.

I think I'll wait to vote until I hear more about Kyoko and Mashiro, because that match is going to be a tough choice for me. Mashiro sounds awesome, but I don't know how believable her character's progression is.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
While I don't agree with your logic, rheiders, at least it sounds like you had some. Besides, my beef is more with the people who made their decision in that match primarily or entirely because Daikichi's improvement was "unique" or "different." Based on that thinking, Daikichi should be the favorite to win the whole thing, shouldn't he? Because there's not a single other entry in this tournament who's here on a "growing into being a parent" qualification.

But again, whatever. There's always at least a couple of match results in each tournament that I see as injustices, so I guess this one will be one of the ones for me this tournament.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Damn it, I totally forgot to vote. Not that it would have mattered since I just lost the game with Piccolo's defeat. Key, I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but i would have voted for Clare had I not been so tired last night and gone to bed early
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Guess I lose as well. I had Eva set to win Group A for my mini-game yet it looks like I underestimated Kimi ni Todoke's fandom to an extent. And while I know it's late to ask, why were there some folks claiming that the improvements in Eva's character are forced? I would think going through near-death experiences in the criminal underworld would change a person's character for the better to appreciate life.

At any rate, let's get my votes out of my way here:

Match B-17: Chihiro (Spirited Away)
I've been opposing Nodame the past couple rounds since I still find she hasn't significantly changed over the course of the past three seasons of Nodame Cantabile as she relies on others too much in helping through her ordeals with love and music. And my thoughts haven't changed all that much in that regard.

Match B-18: Mashiro blan de Windbloom (My Otome)
Judging from her character description, Kyoko seems like a likeable character who only has to get over her obsession with revenge for her character to grow. Mashiro, on the other hand, starts off as quite the unlikeable brat as she is quite ignorant of the needs of her kingdom's citizens. Through interactions with others and personally experiencing the suffering of her citizens when overthrown from power later in My-Otome, Mashiro comes to learn of personal responsibility for her actions and learning to care for the well-being of others over her selfish needs.

Match B-19: Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
Scar's improvements are more significant here as he had to learn to comprehend the ramifications of his killings as he experienced through his interactions with Winry and would become a major ally of the Elrics later in the series against the corrupt elements of the Amestris government.

Match B-20: Shoukei (Twelve Kingdoms)
I gave Taiga a pass last round since she was up against weaker opposition. But against Shoukei who learned to let go of her pride as a former member of royalty to aid in combating political corruption in the kingdom, Taiga is quite outclassed here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I got 3/4 in the last round. I had Haruhi Suzumiya making it lol... I guess I overestimated her popularity.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi didn't even get nominated... I assume you mean Haruka.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Damn it, I totally forgot to vote. Not that it would have mattered since I just lost the game with Piccolo's defeat. Key, I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but i would have voted for Clare had I not been so tired last night and gone to bed early

It kinda seems like knowing that would make it worse. I don't mind too much, though, because ties make scoring more complicated.

Minigame results.

Aside from A-17, these were all much tighter races than the minigame anticipated. In A-20, this can be accounted for partly by Clare's lack of seed status (Key was the only person picking her to move on, while a dozen had Daikichi moving on), but both Sawako and Taichi were favored by huge margins.

Rosebrook has managed to extend the lead a little once again, and marie-antoinette is making up somewhat for first round weakness. On the other end of the ranking board... well, to those of you who were arguing about which of you would hold the dubious distinction of last place: I say with almost complete certainty, you're all wrong. Yes, even you, Beltane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 76