• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Zero89 wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Yeah. Personally, I believe (you know, just out of belief itself), that the show will have 27 episodes. and the number 15,698 adds up to 27.

hmm.. forgive me if I have totally misinterpreted what you have said, but.... does
1 + 5 + 6 + 9 + 8 really add up to 27????

It's new math.

- abunai

the link shows no relevance to this at all... or is this a joke???please elaborate...
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
abunai wrote:
Zero89 wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Yeah. Personally, I believe (you know, just out of belief itself), that the show will have 27 episodes. and the number 15,698 adds up to 27.

hmm.. forgive me if I have totally misinterpreted what you have said, but.... does
1 + 5 + 6 + 9 + 8 really add up to 27????

It's new math.

- abunai

the link shows no relevance to this at all... or is this a joke???please elaborate...

yes its a joke.

1+5+6+9+8 = 29 not 27.

abunai's link is 'new math' a silly little song commenting upon modern mathematical teaching in which getting the correct answer is not as important as using the right method.

Rolling Eyes
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
abunai's link is 'new math' a silly little song commenting upon modern mathematical teaching in which getting the correct answer is not as important as using the right method.

Rolling Eyes

Indeed.

It doesn't seem to be common knowledge (to my surprise), but "New Math" is a song by Tom Lehrer, one of the finest political and comedic singers of the 20th century (he's still alive, but not really active anymore). With his unique brand of humour, he has managed to skewer nearly everything that any sensible person would find ridiculous or objectionable about the life, times, and politics of the 20th century.

He targeted Cold War brinksmanship, racism, drug dealing, the Boy Scouts of America, folk singers, the fad for Irish traditional music, scientific plagiarism, Catholic reform, the animal welfare movement, political hypocrisy, the American South's resistance to modernization, absurd "modern" teaching methods, etc., etc.

Oh, and his degree is in mathematics.

- abunai

EDIT: Typofix.

Last edited by abunai on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
[ So far, this episode and the first are my favorite. It's a special kind of subdued, soft, and sarcastic humor that I've only seen Haruhi pull off. Genius. If the series does go past 14, I'm really hoping they'll dedicate another episode of amateur filming to that "sequel" that was being planned.

That would be terrific, but I suspect that was only Haruhi's ploy to con the electronics store owner out of a heater.

I enjoyed the contact between Haruhi and Kyon at the end the most in this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The number is 15498. It adds up to 27. Deal with it. I hope the kids have had fun enjoying themselves against my mistake. I hope you take this opportunity again sometime in the future, to make a giant discussion over my mistake. Really. I'm glad the kids had fun.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
To: Bl00dHoUnD

My intention was not to make you "look like a fool"...
I'm pretty sure that whoever is reading this far into the thread likes melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... I was actually going for more of
selenta wrote:

It only adds up to 27 when you really really want to believe it does. Anime catgrin

kind of thing, sorry if it came across that way.
and if the number is really 15,498, than you've made a believer out of me Very Happy that would be awesome!!
Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really. I'm glad the kids had fun.

Geez, don't be such a killjoy, I know what you're getting at. As soon as you posted that number I went and checked and found out you had just retyped it wrong and that the number on the site did indeed add up to 27, my point was just like I said earlier:

Quote:
They also work in a bunch of mundane stuff, just enough to throw you off enough that you stop being sure of what you think is going to happen.

So if you ask me, it is either a coincidence (probable) or is an intentional misdirection (more likely).
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
The initial reason I believed that at some point, the series would end up at 27, was, after the math stuff with the numbers:

26 eps is 2 seasons in japan. The 00 episode (episode 1), would be the extra episode, making the total episode count 27. My theory.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:

selenta wrote:
It only adds up to 27 when you really really want to believe it does.

Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
The number is 15498. It adds up to 27. Deal with it.

Perchance we may do well to consider that this could merely be a case of apophenia.

However:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
26 eps is 2 seasons in japan. The 00 episode (episode 1), would be the extra episode, making the total episode count 27. My theory.

This could happen. I'd rather not jump at shadows, though.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:

selenta wrote:
It only adds up to 27 when you really really want to believe it does.

Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
The number is 15498. It adds up to 27. Deal with it.

Perchance we may do well to consider that this could merely be a case of apophenia.

However:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:

This could happen. I'd rather not jump at shadows, though.

It could be a case of apophenia. It probably is, even though the number was taken from the haruhi.tv episode list. The series will probably end at 14. I'm just pointing things out that exist, but will not change my mind from a 14 episode count until they specifically, if announced, a change.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Everybody seems to be arguing about the episode length of the series so I decided to do a search of my own. It didn't take me that long to find the answer on a certain fansub community forum. It's 14 episodes according to the DVD releases that have been planned.

Source: Animate and Neowing.
daristar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh fine, but I really wanted 15,000+ episodes!

Laughing

Anyway I'm not that concerned by the length I do know once it is over I'm going to rewatch them with Suzumiya's order.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
i just got back into this watching this show, and the pacing is utterly ridiculous. i don't know if it was done to be artistic or something, but it's just annoying and it doesn't work at all. i mean how the hell do you put a filler in between a 2 parter? that makes no sense.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i just got back into this watching this show, and the pacing is utterly ridiculous.

I would have to agree with you here. It was all good and innovative at first (first 5 episodes, perhaps), but I have to say that I'm getting pretty tired of it. One arc (the beach arc) was put on hiatus with the end of another arc (the computer arc) being broadcasted the following week. By that time, I wanted to know more about the mysteries lying within this other arc, but then it simply returns back to that other arc, and by that time, I didn't particularly care about it anymore. I guess when it's all aired, you can buy all the DVDs and watch them in the order of your preference, but as of right now, it's quite irritating.

I've already mentioned this before, but I'm put off by the fact that the last episode aired somewhere nowhere. If I know what the most recent events that happened are, I have less motivation to know what happened before that (unless it's a flashback).

I do understand that shuffling of episodes invites that hidden implications be revealed later to apply to a situation which has already occured so you can say out loud, "wow, how brilliant...Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is my favorite anime evar!!!!!111" but I'd prefer a coherent storyline.

Other than the shuffling and pacing, I still like the series. Mikuru-run is as moe as ever with Haruhi acting as the molesting perpetrator. Many intriguing occurences to be found out and interpreted, which can still survive strongly without that random episode shuffling. Evil or Very Mad
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I like the pacing. Why? Because they're telling the story in a way that reveals the story to us. We may not know what happened in episode four-six, but we do know what happened: we know spoiler[they went to closed space and learned a LOT about haruhi, equally importantly is that Kyon went from a disbeliever (more or less) to a believer in that one incident], but what we really don't know is why or what the real story is. We've seen the end of the series (14), but we haven't seen why.

Normally shows like this annoy the crap outta me, but then again, normally shows aren't written this intelligently. Hopefully someone out there understands what I'm trying to say, I didn't word it very well. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 213