• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I only got A-6 wrong in my bracket.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

Results can be seen here.

Due to my inattentiveness we have a couple of franchises represented twice each here. At least they're not all paired against each other, though! We have some interesting-looking prospects here regardless. Will any of these prove to be a blow-out, like we saw last group? Let's find out!

Group B-1
Kenji Ichijouji, Digimon Adventures 2
vs.
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Group B-2
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread
vs.
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

Group B-3
Hikaru Hitachiin, Ouran High School Host Club
vs.
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers

Group B-4
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome
vs.
Ichiko Sakura, Binbougami Ga!

Group B-5
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!
vs.
Jun Sakurada, Rozen Maiden

Group B-6
Mari Wakatabe, Blue Drop
vs.
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Group B-7
Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade
vs.
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain

Group B-8
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender
vs.
Tamaki Kawazoe, Bamboo Blade

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
heh, I had Haruko lasting until round 4, oh well
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
^ That's alright. Even though I nominated and voted for Hiei, I didn't actually think he would prevail against Inuyasha Anime hyper My minigame will suffer, but I'm pleasantly surprised!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
I just want to ask people to seriously consider giving Ryouta Sakamoto their vote in B-5. He is a great candidate who displays vast improvement in just twelve scant episodes.

I'll copy-paste what I wrote in the writeup:

Who He Is: Ryouta is an elite player in the online game Btooom!, which eschews guns and knives and only uses explosive weapons such as bombs and grenades. His impressive skills and confident attitude make him highly respected by his teammates and a female player called Himiko. In real life, however, he is an unsociable 22-year-old NEET who refuses to leave home and get a job and has a terrible relationship with his mother and stepfather. He is kidnapped along with other players (including Himiko) and put on an island to participate in a real-life game of Btooom!. The players must kill one another in order to leave, and Ryouta will be sorely tested on what sort of person he truly is.

How He Improves: Initially Ryouta starts off as a horrible person notable for his emotional immaturity, bad temper and complete laziness. He cares more about the game than his own family, whom he treats like crap. However, after being placed on the island and being part of the real-life Btooom! death game he is forced to grow up, big-time. Early on he learns the reason he was chosen to be part of the game and this shock forces him to reevaluate his life and the way he treats people. He realizes what a bad person he had been and vows to make amends to the people he had hurt. He becomes a leader of sorts to Himiko and an older man named Taira, and it is through them that he learns the virtue of empathy. He puts their needs first and promises to protect them and get them off the island, a huge turnaround from his previous selfish attitude. As a further example of his growth, he realizes that human life is precious, and refuses to kill except in self-defense. By the end of the season Ryouta is a vastly better human than how he started. He had cast away his whiny man-child persona, grown a spine, learned compassion, and could trust in others and have them rely on him in return.

getchman wrote:

And I had Haruyuki lasting to round 3. Nevermind, I'm vying for last place in the minigame anyway.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
That went alright for me. A-7 was also the only match where I messed up. I don't expect that to continue at all though.
I remember I debated whether to put down Haruko or Haruka on my ballot for a good five minutes.

Really excited for these new matches. I'll start to type something up tomorrow when all of my classes are done. I know I'm really pulling for Nodame and Talho.

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

getchman wrote:

And I had Haruyuki lasting to round 3. Nevermind, I'm vying for last place in the minigame anyway.

I had a feeling he would be a first round exit because not many people liked Accel World so they probably dropped it and just voted against him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you're probably right about that. Haruyuki's improvement is undeniably impressive, but if people dropped the show after only a couple of episodes then it doesn't really matter. A-7 was one of the many cases where I went with my personal opinion of who was better rather than trying to figure out which one was more likely to win.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll be the first to vote:

Match B-1: Yuji Kaido (Blue Gender)

Match B-2: Hibiki Tokai (Vandread)
Can't really find myself supporting Nodame here considering her commitments to music and Chiaki cause a decent number of rifts in her devotion to one of them at points within the franchise and I don't find her developments to be of significant improvement compared to Chiaki as she still carries the same carefree, impulsive personality she had throughout the series and still finds herself to be dependent on others to help sort out her personal problems.

On the other hand, Hibiki's character gradually matures throughout Vandread as he learns to value the bonds he has accomplished with the women aboard the Nirvana and to find his own purpose over blind devotion to the beliefs of Taraak. He becomes less impulsive in battle as well throughout the series, where he learns to develop strategies in fighting Harvester forces and develop efficient skills in teamwork with Dita and the other girls in the heat of battle.

For this round, I shall vote for Hibiki.

Match B-3: Rika Nonaka (Digimon Tamers)
Hikaru gets some developments with his short-fused character in the anime, but the most significant of his developments don't occur until later chapters in the manga that weren't adapted. So having to factor this in, I'm gonna go with Rika, who learns to better value the bonds she accomplishes with others and becomes much less aloof.

Match B-4: Mashiro blan de Windbloom (My-Otome)

Match B-5: Ryouta Sakamoto (BTOOOM!)

Match B-6: Talho Yuki (Eureka 7)

Match B-7: Lain Iwakura (Serial Experiments Lain)

Match B-8: Marlene Angel (Blue Gender)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
So I got A-2, A-3, A-4, and A-8 right. I definitely over estimated the amount of voters so my mini-game is probably a bust in the long run.

I'm glad Haruka managed to win out in the end Smile That match up was the one I felt the most strongly about during that round. It's funny, I haven't seen Rumbling Hearts in over 10 years and back then I was a firm Mitsuki supporter. I had nothing against Haruka but I used to favor girls with short hair. But then Haruka showed up in Muv Luv Alternative and I fell in love. It was her spoiler[death] that made me spoiler[grieve the most] in that game. Damn spoiler[Warrior Class BETA].

I don't expect her to make it out of the next round, but I'm glad she got some love Very Happy

I'll vote for the next round later... When it's not almost 2:30 am and I have to work in 6 and a half hours x_x
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
I’ll go ahead and turn mine in before I go to bed, since I’ll be busy for the rest of the week… So I haven’t really seen many of these shows at all xD For quite a few of these, I’ll be basing my decisions solely on the pictures and descriptions.

Group B-1
Kenji Ichijouji, Digimon Adventures 2
I was never really a Digimon fan, but his description makes his change sound more substantial. Jesuotaku also made him sound like an interesting character in her retrospective.

Group B-2 Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile
I haven’t seen either show (though I will get around to Nodame Cantabile eventually). Nodame’s improvement seems more interesting to me as a fellow artist, while Hibiki’s development sounds more run-of-the-mill and generic.

Group B-3
Much as I love Ouran, I don’t think it’s particularly strong in the “character development” arena, what with being a silly episodic comedy and all. If we were talking about the manga, Hikaru would be a strong contender. However, with only his brief arc in the anime to consider, I think he’s pretty weak. I already spoke against him in the nominations:

“I feel like Hikaru Hitachiin is a weak choice. Most of the development he gets happens in the manga, and I feel like he is almost as much a horrible manipulative bastard at the end of the anime as he was at the beginning. Hikaru only really gets three episodes of development ("The Twins Fight!", "Operation Haruhi and Hikaru's First Date!", and "The Door the Twins Opened!"), and I feel most of the development he gets in the anime comes from the last of those three, which is a flashback episode detailing the twins' introduction to Tamaki.”

Group B-4

Group B-5
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!
I’ve been avoiding this show, but the description makes it sound like Ryouta goes through a rather drastic change.

Group B-6
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Group B-7
Not related, but looking at Leina’s character design made me giggle xD

Group B-8
I should watch more sports anime. They always make me smile.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Let's give some votes here:

B-1: Yuji Kaido. I like the sound of him rising to the occaision thrust upon him.

B-2: Nodame Takai. Musical growth is something not commonly seen in fiction, and as someone who once considered a career in music I'm appreciative of seeing it.

B-3: Rika Nonaka. I like the sound of her learning to care for others.

B-4: Ichiko Sakura. Again with the caring for others, but this time it seems to have a bit of a more metaphorical spin about high society caring about commoners. That seems cool.

B-5: Ryouta Sakamoto Having played quite a bit of halo 2 back in the day, I'm intrigued by the concept of (essentially) an xbox shitbag learning some manners.

B-6: Mari Wakatake: Man, was she an asshole initially. Big brat too.

B-7: Leina Vance: I like the idea of her being messed with for not having as much skill as the others, and ultimately overcoming that bias.

B-8: Tamaki Kawazoe: I tend to be partial to characters who initially don't care about things coming to care about something.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Group B-5
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!
I’ve been avoiding this show, but the description makes it sound like Ryouta goes through a rather drastic change.

He absolutely does go through a drastic change. The improvement in his personality and outlook on life is both massive and completely life-changing. He's a complete prick at the start of the show and in flashbacks, someone whom you want to punch or slap because they're such scum. He makes his family's life hell and spurns looking for jobs in order to play video games. It is only by being put on the island and forced to protect other people that he realises what sort of a person he had been, and how he had hurt his family. By the end of the show he is a responsible battle-hardened leader who has nevertheless developed a strong sense of empathy and an iron-clad faith in humanity. People can trust him with their lives because he is now worthy of that trust.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
Group B-1: Voting for Yuji. His development seems more interesting to me than Kenji's.

Group B-2: Voting for Nodame Her development seems like she grows more as a person, whereas I get the impression Hibiki doesn't change that much, just grows up a bit.

Group B-3: Voting for Hikaru. He seems to grow more than Rika.

Group B-4: Voting for Mashiro. To go from being a spoiled brat to a good queen is quite the feat. She also has help from the people around her, rather than a goddess, which I prefer.

Group B-5: Voting for Ryouta He seems to change a lot more than Jun. Becoming responsible enough to look after others in a life or death situation and realise what's he done in the past.

Group B-6: Voting for Mari Getting over such a large trauma is a very big thing for anyone.

Group B-7: Voting for Lain She seems to grow more and accept a very large responsibility, whereas Leina's development seems to be mainly physical strength.

Group B-8: Voting for Tamaki She seems to mature more than Marlene.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Ken is my favourite character in Digimon but this is entirely because of his role in the first 1/2 of the series. But then he joins the team and becomes good and fairly generic a lot of the time. So while his development is definitely there, ultimately it makes him a far less interesting and enjoyable character than he was when the series started out.

Group B-2
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

While some of her behaviour does stay consistent throughout the series, Nodame really does grow a lot. She can be pretty immature early on (she's supposed to be in her 20s and never acts it) and I honestly am not 100% sure why she is even at that specific university since she doesn't have any interest in pursuing music long-term; rather she wants to be a kindergarten teacher (I'll assume it's like here, where you need an undergrad degree + teacher's college).

By the end of the show, she has definitely grown as a person and has fully realized how much she does love music and how important it is to her. She also has a newfound emotional maturity that especially shows itself in her interactions with Chiaki.

Like Chiaki, she was a late nomination that I could not believe I didn't think of sooner. And, like Chiaki, I really believe she deserves to go far here.

Group B-3

Sorry Hikaru, you had to come up against one of the few characters I'm familiar with in this round and I know Rika has better development, the best in all the Digimon that I've seen. But you made it this far, that's still pretty good!

And apparently I need to get around to finishing the Ouran manga, since apparently he has something big happen in it which excites me, as the twins are definitely my favourite characters in the series.

Group B-4

Group B-5
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!

Group B-6
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Group B-7

Group B-8
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 76