• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I'm really not sure what to make of this show anymore. It's making my head spin to the point where I'm almost sick of watching it. I guess in that aspect, it's succeeding, since I can definitely relate to Kyon 100%.

I'm still not buying the ANN ratings, but it's clear this show is working on a level I'm not picking up on yet. It'll take multiple times to really get this one. I only hope the anime can add a good closure, since I don't believe the novels are finished, right?

It must be something if there's 165 posts in this topic. Damn, I haven't got to see this but it does sound interesting. If only I can find it Sad
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, Yes and Yes, This series is totally Fun, cool and funny to to watch. With its intellectual references and directing, how can anyone avoid this new series?

After reading most of the replies in this thread, this series turns out to be full of mysteries and secrets because of how the series is out of chronological order.

Im so hyped about this series that i cant wait for the next episode! Very Happy

-DaZ

P.S
Geez, you guys sure do use alot of big words such as
" physical manifestation" "Rashomonesque" "dry skepticism "
I had to look them up at dictionary.com just to check out what they mean again. However, they are good words to add to my vocabulary. Very Happy

and..
abunai wrote:

団長 (danchou, "leader of a party, group, delegation, etc.") or as the fansubbers sometimes translate it: "chief".

Haruhi's club is SOS団 (SOS-dan). A point is made that it isn't really a club, because it doesn't (yet) live up to the requirements, hence the choice of the word 団 (dan, "group" - the fansubbers say "brigade") instead of 部 (bu, "club"). It's also mentioned that it was originally supposed to be SOS同好会 (SOS-doukoukai), but it was too small to be a
同好会 (doukoukai, "association of like-minded people").

長 (asa or -chou, "chief or head") is the term usually used for any kind of leader, from class reps to middle management in corporations, etc.

A few samples:

市長 (shichou, "mayor")
村長 (sonchou, "village headman")
班長 (honchou, "squad leader" -- incidentally, the etymological source of the English word "honcho")
駅長 (ekichou, "stationmaster")
学長 (gakuchou, "university president")

d.yaro wrote:
The word I'd conjure up to describe it is "Rashomonesque". After all, we do have three characters describing the significance and relevance of a single event from their perspective.

If you want true "Rashomonesque" atmosphere, you really ought to watch the other hit show of the season: Higurashi no naku koro ni. It gets my full recommendation, just as Haruhi's escapades do.

- abunai

abunai.. how smart can you get?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
the beginning of episode 5 was so NGE 2.0 D;/

You! Go sit in the corner. Now.

- abunai

/emo.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Geez, you guys sure do use alot of big words such as "physical manifestation" "Rashomonesque" "dry skepticism"
I had to look them up at dictionary.com just to check out what they mean again. However, they are good words to add to my vocabulary. Very Happy

All part of the requirement for academic fakery -- us Humanities majors have to know a lot of big words, to convince people that we're no more than half as fake as we seem... Wink

DaZ616 wrote:
abunai.. how smart can you get?!

I take it that's a rhetorical question. On the odd chance that it's not, the answer is: I don't know. But if you attach any importance to IQ tests (I don't, they're generally speaking balderdash), then my IQ usually runs the gamut from 140 to 180, depending on the test. The last time I was tested (using the Daniels/Booth-Harcourt Figure Reasoning Test, which maps to the Wechsler scale), I scored 159, which is supposedly a score that puts me at 99.996% mark of the bell curve.

But... it's silly. You might as well hand people a crossword puzzle or a sudoku grid. IQ tests are largely a test of the ability to take IQ tests, nothing more.

All of which is absolutely offtopic in this thread. Look at the OP instead, and you'll see that the older version of Asahina has a star-shaped birthmark on her ample bosom. Then see if you can find it on the younger Mikuru-chan, in one of the Haruhi-molests-Mikuru-chan scenes (there are quite a few).

There. That should get you down to Earth again. Wink

Hisdon wrote:
abunai wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

- abunai

/emo.

Don't make me break out the dunce's cap, puppy!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's a shame that it'll be only 14 episodes. But, there's always the novels and the promise of more.

If this series' popularity continues on the up and up, I'm sure another season adapting the novels will eventually ensue. It's still a little early to say for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one turns out to be a fat cash cow.
abunai wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

- abunai

Hahaha, hit a nerv, did he? Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
abunai wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

- abunai

Hahaha, hit a nerv, did he? Wink

If he thinks he's getting the seele of approval, he's got another think coming!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

If he thinks he's getting the seele of approval, he's got another think coming!

- abunai

GROOOoOOOoOOAAAAAaAAAaAAAAN

abunai wrote:

All of which is absolutely offtopic in this thread. Look at the OP instead, and you'll see that the older version of Asahina has a star-shaped birthmark on her ample bosom. Then see if you can find it on the younger Mikuru-chan, in one of the Haruhi-molests-Mikuru-chan scenes (there are quite a few).

- abunai

Ah! An excuse to stare at Mikuru's boobies. Now that's smart.
lockeout

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Just rewatched the OP carefully and saw a lot more meaning in the images, like Mikuru flying by on a clock and a zoom-in on Haruhi's eye that shows the Universe in it...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
lockeout wrote:
Just rewatched the OP carefully and saw a lot more meaning in the images, like Mikuru flying by on a clock and a zoom-in on Haruhi's eye that shows the Universe in it...

There are two Mikurus in the OP. And check out the background. Tons of symbols related to cosmology, physics, and the whole nature-of-the-Universe thingy.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
There are two Mikurus in the OP. And check out the background. Tons of symbols related to cosmology, physics, and the whole nature-of-the-Universe thingy.

Hehheh, finally someone else has found the intricacy of OP. Take notes when different characters fly from back to front one by one.

Yuki - planets, spoiler[indicating she's an alien].
Itsuki - wave-like distortions and ripples, spoiler[indicating he's an esper].
Young Mikuru - sitting (kneeling?) on a giant watch: spoiler[time traveler].
Haruhi - turning four planets into the Great Seal of SOS-Dan - capable to spoiler[bend reality].

Not sure how do Ryouko, Tsuruya, Kyon's sister + Shamisen, a girl I couldn't identify, and adult Mikuru, fare. I'm still trying to interpret the hidden meanings of their respective backgrounds. There may not be any, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rymir

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The subs are being put out at about the rate of one per week right? Are the raws available anywhere?
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Rymir wrote:
The subs are being put out at about the rate of one per week right? Are the raws available anywhere?

Aren't the fansubs caught up with the episodes?

It is a brand new series, and as far as I can tell they haven't released more than 5 episodes in Japan. So the reason they're subbing them at the rate of one every week is because that's as fast as their getting them.
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering what we know now (from the anime, setting aside the novels for now), there is a very interesting bit of dialogue in Episode 2. It's from Haruhi and Kyon's first real conversation, near the end.

[Haruhi stares at Kyon for several seconds]
HARUHI: Have I met you before? A long time ago...
KYON: Nope.

Narration: The trigger... while being nothing particularly significant... This would indeed be the trigger.

Who is right and who is wrong? Have they met? If they have, why doesn't Kyon remember? If they haven't, why does Haruhi respond to Kyon the way she does?

There are also a few interesting cases in the first book spoiler[where Kyon's comments or observations seem to affect the real world]. Most of these haven't been covered in the anime yet so I'll wait to bring them up explicitly.
Rymir

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
Aren't the fansubs caught up with the episodes?

It is a brand new series, and as far as I can tell they haven't released more than 5 episodes in Japan. So the reason they're subbing them at the rate of one every week is because that's as fast as their getting them.
Oh... I was completely unaware. Thank you for enlightening me.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:

Who is right and who is wrong? Have they met? If they have, why doesn't Kyon remember? If they haven't, why does Haruhi respond to Kyon the way she does?

I don't know, but I sorta get the feeling that'll be explained when we find out what happened to Kyon 3 years ago... although if I had to guess on the basis of the first 5 episodes I'd probably say that spoiler[Kyon created Haruhi, kinda like the kids were separated in two by Poom Poom in Boogiepop Phantom - so they may not have met, but they still "know" each other.]
As to episode 5 being rushed, were you even expected to pick up on some of the explanations (even though I did)? Doesn't it say somewhere in Yuki's spiel that "humans can only take so much data" or something along those lines? Besides, I don't think their reasons are too important at the moment... after all, in the end they're only there because spoiler[Haruhi wanted them to be Wink .]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 213