• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
^^wow i think he knows EVERYTHING...

and if there's no english plans, im gonna read (import) them from japanese; i speak japanese wayy better than i speak chinese...mainly because i dont speak chinese Razz

and one last question for you all-knowing guy...encyclopedia says there are five episodes....lies. From experience i have only found four of them...i take it the fifth is not out yet? or am i just mislead by this other source?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
^^wow i think he knows EVERYTHING...

"Allwissend bin ich nicht; doch viel ist mir bewußt."

I'm no Mephistopheles, though. Honest. Twisted Evil

Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
and one last question for you all-knowing guy...encyclopedia says there are five episodes....lies. From experience i have only found four of them...i take it the fifth is not out yet? or am i just mislead by this other source?

When the Encyclopedia says "Episode titles: We have 5", it means exactly that -- five episode titles have been entered. If a definite number of episodes were known, it would list that in a separate entry.

Meanwhile, episode 5 does not air until the 30th.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
THEY DENY ME MY HARUHI SUZUMAYI UNTIL THE 30TH?????

isnt that like soon? yayy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
誰が留保するか?

Nobody's denying you anything... there are a couple thousand pages of Haruhi novels waiting for you to read.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
After seeing all the hype here, and this series popping up in the top 10 anime list (still confused how this happened for a series with 4 episodes so far?), I decided to see what it was all about...

and after watching the first episode, I must say I'm really disappointed, have no clue what you need to smoke to enjoy that, but didn't find it funny at all and found the whole thing painful to sit through. From what it seems that the series doesn't really start until episode 2, so I'll most likely continue for another episode or two and give you guys the benefit of doubt, but so far I'm not impressed at all.
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Abunai wrote:

I could say Verweile doch! du bist so schön!, just to test you out. But that might be a wee bit risky... Shocked
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Here is a popularity poll: http://vote2.ziyu.net/html/haruhi.html

Yuki outranks Haruhi!!! Shocked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

...and the grocery shop guy from the first episode outranks Kyon! Ha! Well, if there's a lesson in there then don't name your kid with something that can be shortened to "Kyon". Talk about a nickname for hardluck guys. The character nicknamed "Kyon" in "Boku Dake no Madonna" had the same problem but to a lesser degree: He was involved with a very persuasive, good-looking and "odd" female...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:
and after watching the first episode, I must say I'm really disappointed, have no clue what you need to smoke to enjoy that, but didn't find it funny at all and found the whole thing painful to sit through. From what it seems that the series doesn't really start until episode 2, so I'll most likely continue for another episode or two and give you guys the benefit of doubt, but so far I'm not impressed at all.

As I believe has already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you'd but bothered to read it, the first episode is substantially different in tone from the rest. Most of it is bad, but deliberately so -- it's being seen through the filter of the rather awful student film that the SOS-dan is producing. Even so, there is a framework around it that shows elements of the excellent overall animation quality, and little hints to the deeper goings-on.

Judging a series on one episode, and an odd-man-out episode at that, is too simplistic. Make the effort to see another episode, so that you have something to judge by -- or don't bother to try discussing the series.

xuebaochai wrote:
Abunai wrote:

I could say Verweile doch! du bist so schön!, just to test you out. But that might be a wee bit risky... Shocked

Heheh. "Why, this is Hell, nor am I out of it."

dormcat wrote:

No surprise. I voted for her myself. That is some fine code.

d.yaro wrote:
...and the grocery shop guy from the first episode outranks Kyon! Ha! Well, if there's a lesson in there then don't name your kid with something that can be shortened to "Kyon". Talk about a nickname for hardluck guys. The character nicknamed "Kyon" in "Boku Dake no Madonna" had the same problem but to a lesser degree: He was involved with a very persuasive, good-looking and "odd" female...

Hmm... This Kyon is a special case. So far, his real name has not been revealed. I sometimes question whether he actually has one.

- abunai
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:
After seeing all the hype here, and this series popping up in the top 10 anime list (still confused how this happened for a series with 4 episodes so far?), I decided to see what it was all about...

the first one is very far off from the rest; and im just curious as to WHY one would rate after one episode?

the first one also, was supposed to be a joke...it was supposed to be that crappy. Bad theme song, camera shaking, and the whole thing was in a way mocking out the entire magical girl saves the day genre, nothing more.

another reason it might be so booming in votes is because it's one of the first in the new spring 06 batch of anime, so alot of people are going to see it, especially now just to find out what all the hype is about

and i want to read the novels abunai, problem is, i am not sure where to find the damn things...
patch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Judging a series on one episode, and an odd-man-out episode at that, is too simplistic. Make the effort to see another episode, so that you have something to judge by -- or don't bother to try discussing the series.

Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
the first one is very far off from the rest; and im just curious as to WHY one would rate after one episode?

I find these very interesting comments -- So then why is everyone else here get a pass for judging the series after one episode?

I'm sorry I didn't watch the first episode the night it got released like some here, but this is my opinion after watching the first episode -- I already said I will give a few more episodes a chance because of the comments about the rest of the series here, but I just stated my opinion mainly in response to these comments, maybe I should have quoted them all in my initial opinion post?

darkchibi wrote:
And I have to say, this is by far the most unique 1st episode I have ever seen....Of course this needs to be seen!
abunai wrote:
I just saw it, and it's bloody brilliant. It's been a long time since I laughed that hard. Reminds me a bit of Ed Wood.
Pleroma wrote:
Agree, I was grinning the whole way through. Excellent "fake" acting too, this and simoun will be on my top list this season.
daristar wrote:
I was laughing through most of the first episode, I can't wait for the 2nd.
mahnx wrote:
at first it took me a sec to catch what was going on, but after that it was great.
Barnduil wrote:
This was hilarious, particularly if you've ever made a student film before. I hope the rest of the series can live up to this.
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I watched the 1st ep a couple of days ago, & I found it to be hilarious. The obvious mistakes they made in that movie were fun to watch. I haven't laughed that hard since Yakitate!! Japan.
Pepperidge wrote:
The first episode was fantastic, but somehow I get the impression that the show isn't going to sustain that kind of feel.
Anthony P wrote:
man this was absolutely bizarre. i actually had to check and make sure i downloaded the right anime. i'm definitely interested in the next episode.
The Sphinx wrote:
Just finished watching the first one... Hah hah! Brilliant work. That's the best use of voice over I've heard in anime. I'm eagerly anticipating the rest. Thanks for pointing it out.
ryokoalways wrote:
I am really impressed by Kyon's VA. The guy basically had to talk for almost the full episode, but it is extremely well done.
godakame wrote:
I'm glad I gave this anime a chance; just finished the first episode, and I do concur that it is quite brilliant.
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The first episode was genius. I loved the Cameraman's Commentary.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I find these very interesting comments -- So then why is everyone else here get a pass for judging the series after one episode?

Well, hey you post a comment that says you didn't like what you saw of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to a bunch of fans of the show and of course they're going to tell you to watch more.

Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the first episode and the later episodes. So far, much of the humor in each episode has been generated by the mixture between the over-the-top and the understated. For example, in the first episode, much of the humor is really obvious, however I noticed on repeated viewings that I missed some really funny jokes the first time through because they were more subtle. Similarly, in the 4th episode, the characters treated the miraculous stuff that was going on in a rather blase manner.

In the end, humor is awfully subjective. I showed episode 1 to some friends of mine and got pretty mixed reviews (same people that I showed Excel Saga & Azumanga Daioh to and got crazy amounts of laughter as the response). On the other hand, another friend of mine loves the series (he's the one who clued me in on its existence).
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
I actually got really curious about this show because it's getting the attention of popular poster here. Well, I think this show definitely has one of the most unique 1st Episode out there. It's really fun to watch their lifeless acting combined with ridiculous comments. Mikuru's voice (she reminds me of Hiyori from Mizuiro OAV2... probably because they have the same seiyuu, so enchanting to my ears) has to be the one, that made me wan't to watch more of this show. I'll rate the first 4 episode as excellent and I hope it gets even better in later eps.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Yuki outranks Haruhi!!! 8O :lol:

That's because she's just like Ruri Hoshino (in terms of personality), minus the weird ponytail things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:

While most posts in this thread have praised the humor and comedic factors of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I might rate it as a Masterpiece (I haven't rated it yet) not just because of how funny it is. It's not that hard to write whacky funny stories; Azumanga, Genshiken, Excel Saga (which I haven't seen) had all done it right before, yet Kyoto Animation (KyoAni) has made a real breakthrough that even the animation team of Final Fantasy: Advent Children couldn't match:

It challanged the borderline between animation and live-action. And no, not in the way one usually would expect.

While most anime titles with highly acclaimed animation skills (e.g. Final Fantasy: Advent Children) tried hard on mimicking real objects and movements, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya re-creates how our eyes observe the world. Movie nowadays rely heavily on CGI, yet this first episode has demonstrated that it could copy everything live-action films can do, including their horrible and laughable errors one could FEEL. Advent Children, for example, has a completely meaningless shot of the plaza where pedestrians and automobiles wandering like a bunch of headless ants. That shot served to demonstrate the capability of computer animators to draw hundreds of 3-D objects moving towards different directions, but I say "yeah right, eye-candy-ish, now what?" because it had no effect on audiences to RELATE the shot to themselves, for no square/plaza in our real world would have people wandering in that manner, making the shot awfully unrealistic, no matter how many details it had.

To save our time, netizens of 2Ch have summerized over a dozen mistakes commonly seen in amateur movies (in Japanese, or in Chinese with screencaps) which have been perfectly re-created in the first episode. One does not have had filmed an amateur movie to enjoy those details; all you need is a pair of critical and observing eyes which had seen at least one amateur movie and/or had ever operated a video camera. This episode could also be used as a test material for otaku -- those who could enjoy not just its story but also the way it presented amateur video are true otaku for being capable to absorb visual information much better than an average person. Sorry for those who do enjoy them yet hate being called as one. Mr. Green

By the way, I found the title very difficult to abbreviate. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 213