• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Nominations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Vote For
Haibane Renmei
R.O.D. the TV
Elfin Lied
Paradise Kiss

(Might come up with my own nominations at some point when I have time. Glad these cropped up, though...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Slayers: "ANGRY? Lina's Furious Dragon Slave!"

Type of Series: Western fantasy, comedy

Synopsis: The series opens up with heroine Lina Inverse attacking a bandit camp. After smashing the camp and taking their loot, she heads down the road, only to be attacked again. Idiot swordsman Gourry appears and "rescues" her, and they move on together. When they stop at a village, a dragon that had been kept as a pet by the bandits goes berserk. Lina offers to handle it (for a steep fee), and does so...wiping out the village she was supposed to save in the process.

What Makes It Great: Overall, the episode demonstrates exactly how Slayers intends to run and delivers on the laughs. Slayers loves to mess with fantasy fixtures, and the first episode plays them to the hilt. Both characters aim for a "fairy tale" encounter and ends up disappointed with reality. The episode also showcases both characters' quirks brilliantly, with Lina displaying her smart-aleck attitude and inability to minimize collateral damage, Gourry kicking off his idiot routine, and generally setting up their interactions for the rest of the series.

Image: Slayers
http://www.hulu.com/watch/43091/slayers-angry-linas-furious-dragon-slave
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Since OAV titles are allowed in this, guess I'll toss in this next nominee...

Nominating:
Fooly Cooly, "Fooly Cooly"
Type of Series: Surreal sci-fi/ slice-of-life action-comedy
Synopsis: Naota Nandaba is a 12-year old preteen with a cynical outlook on life as he believes "nothing amazing ever happens" in the fictional town of Mabase in which he lives in. While going about his regular interactions with his brother's girlfriend Mamimi Samejima, Naota finds his life become quite bizarre when he gets ran down by the Vespa bike of a mysterious young woman named Haruko Haruhara who claims to be an alien. After this incident, Naota now finds himself having the ability to produce robots from his forehead whenever he comes under a great amount of stress and having to battle them.
What Makes It Great: Fooly Cooly's unpredictable humor and apparent coming-of-age themes start being presented at full steam in this episode. The series makes effective use of its animation at the start to produce the show's more memorable moments with its manic comedy from its opening episode such as the spinning and tight close camera shots with Haruko giving mouth-to-mouth to Naota, along with Mamimi's reaction to the scene; and an animated manga sequence of Naota reacting to Haruko being in his house and casually chatting and eating away with his father and grandfather. The episode effectively juggles serious and funny moments as Naota finds himself dealing with the sudden presence of Haruko in his life and trying to work up the courage to tell Mamimi of the contents of a letter from his brother away in America. The episode also shows signs of subtlety in its exploration of both its themes and dropping hints on events yet to come in the series concerning Haruko's purposes of being in the Nandaba household, plus Naota's coming of age shown through his preference of drinks and interactions with Mamimi.
Image: Fooly Cooly pic
Episode Link: Subbed (Hulu), Dubbed (Hulu)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll vote for Paradise Kiss.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Cross Game
Saikano
Mawaru Penguindrum
Kurau: Phantom Memory
R.O.D. The TV
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ouran High School Host Club
Bakemonogatari
Fooly Cooly (AKA FLCL)

Voting Against:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. While the opening scene may be impressive visually, the episode as a whole deliberately downplays and obfuscates the actual tone of the series. A number of people ignored the series after seeing the first episode because it promised nothing interesting in terms of story, and only later returned to it because it is one of the rare shows that does get better further in. In my mind, this is the exact opposite the type of first episode to nominate.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Nominating
Hayate, the Combat Butler,"In English, 'Unmei' Means 'Destiny'"
Type of Series: Madcap Situational Comedy, Genre spoof, harem comedy
Synopsis: A giant robot is threatening a young girl, she calls for Hayate, who flies out of nowhere in her defense, then she mentions the credits are about to begin so he really should introduce himself, too late, the OP interrupts him.
Post Credits: A Young Hayate asks Santa Claus, apparently in a dream or a vision, why he doesn’t get presents, Santa answers honestly, because he is poor and only those that work hard will be able to live a good life. Years later we see Hayate taking this to heart, it is Christmas Eve and he is working hard to make up for his hopeless, gambling, money-wasting, unemployed parents. Unfortunately on this day his parents have lost Hayate his job, stolen his month's wages and left him with a “Christmas Gift” of a 156,804,000 yen debt to the Yakuza that they had incurred. It is while he is on the run from these “very generous people” that Santa once again appears to Hayate in a vision to extol the virtues of hard work and Hayate punches him in the face. Desperate to pay off the debt he decides to kidnap a rich girl he sees on the street, instead he confuses her into thinking he has confessed his love to her, screws up the ransom call and not only fails to kidnap her but saves her from another set of kidnappers by running down a car on a bycyle, being hit by said car but still overpowering them. Luckily the girl is the insanely rich Nagi Sanzenin and she decides to make him her butler in thanks.

What Makes It Great: That synopsis may seem a little long but every part is really necessary to emphasize one of the great aspects of this episode- a lot happens but it demonstrates such an economy and clearness of story-telling that it really doesn’t feel rushed or over-packed. The story handles asides like the non-linear pre-credits scene and Santa visions with ease, characters like Hayate’s boss, his schoolmates, the gangsters, and the kidnappers come and go by without ever being confused as important. In one episode you know everything you need to know about Hayate, his talents, his faults, his doubts, and his innate goodness. In one episode he is a fully realized comedic character that you can cheer for and laugh at in equal measure.

And then there’s the humor. Even with humor being subjective you should be able to see that this episode is performing comedic gymnastics. It switches from breaking the fourth wall to ludicrous slapstick violence to spoofing and referencing anime to surreal and unexpected bits like the Santa visions and a visit from his good and evil conscience.
Plus a special mention should go to the inspired narration, voiced by Norio Wakamoto in one of his most masterful performances in a career made by his distinctive voice, “all-knowing” superior, condescending and pompous, truly making otherwise unremarkable narration a thing of hilarity.
image: http://animeyume.com/blog/images/hayate_ep1_2.jpg
link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/hayate-no-gotoku/episode-1-in-english-unmei-means-destiny-543104

Damn it, I wanted to be stingy with my support, but these are such excellent examples.
VOTING FOR:
Cross Game
Mawaru Penguindrum
Michiko to Hatchin - I considered nominating it myself- but know it'd have a harder time here than Michiko's battle in the Coolest character tourney (she very nearly took out Roy Mustang) so I decided against it- but I'll vote for it. The over-the top part of both the insane opening action sequence and the Roald Dahl-esque cruelty of the step-family was obviously intentional and should not be marked against it.
R.O.D The TV- Perfect action
Elfen Lied - I don't get shocked by anime violence much, but this succeeded.
Haibane Renmei
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - I'll agree- the unique way this sets the show up completely hooked me.
Bakemonogatari
FLCL

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
A question for Key on eligibility:
Mardock Scramble. It's going to be a three movie trilogy. Currently, only the first movie has been released. I thought I'd ask before I put the time into making a write-up for it.

Edit: Nevermind, reread the first post more closely, Key said at least 2 would need to be out.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It's almost 2 hours long right? I'm pretty sure that would exclude it.

Also, it's a shame barely anyone has watched Futakoi Alternative. Maybe linking the OP animation might rouse some interest.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Nomination

Neon Genesis Evangelion: "Angel Attack"

Type of Series: Dark psychological mecha

Synopsis: Shinji Ikari is brought to Tokyo-3 to be reunited with his father. Unfortunately, he is brought in just before a vicious mysterious being called an Angel attacks the city. Rescued by his father's subordinate, Misato Katsuragi, he is brought to his father's place of work, NERV: a top-secret facility devised in preperation for the Angel's attack. When Shinji meets his father, he is confronted with the cold reality of their reunion - he has been brought here to pilot the biomechanical weapon Evangelion, and fight the Angel.

What Makes it Great: Where to begin? Widely agreed upon as a mass subversion of classic mecha tropes, Evangelion starts not with a teenage boy stumbling across a giant robot and choosing to fight with it, but being brought to the giant robot and reluctantly agreeing to pilot it. The world building begins hard and heavy, with dozens of different technologies and machineries, clearly science fiction but laced in reality.

The episode dives into greatness though when Shinji is confronted by his father, Gendo. Until then, most mecha pilots got in the suit because they wanted to or they felt they were meant to. Shinji does not want to pilot a mecha, and when told he has to, he is left distraught at the idea that his father only wanted to see him to get him in the mecha. The human response completely overrides the subversion of the trope, twisting it into something wholly unexplored until then. Say what you will about Shinji being whiny, but the emotions he expresses towards what is asked of him, and the consequences if he rejects, are terrifying and captivating.

This was only the first taste of Gainax bringing the human condition into such a series, and as Shinji reluctantly saddles Evangelion Unit 01 and is sent to fight the Angel as the episode ends, it is already apparent that his relationship with Eva, with NERV, with his father has built a strong and indelible foundation for the rest of the series' dark psychological exploration of what happens when a child is asked to save the world.

Image: Neon Genesis Evangelion
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also, it's a shame barely anyone has watched Futakoi Alternative. Maybe linking the OP animation might rouse some interest.

I've seen it, but I didn't really enjoy the series. I'll admit that the first episode is a little hazy and there may indeed be merit in having it in this competition. I might have a rewatch and cast a vote. I dismissed it out of hand since I didn't get on with the series as a whole.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I am planning to nominate the following:

Samurai Champloo

If anyone wants to do the writeups for any of these then go ahead and I'll second them. It would help me out a lot if you did, so don't feel shy. Otherwise, I'll do the writeups on Saturday NZ time.

I'll be doing Samurai Champloo, so you can cross that off your list.

Also, I will VOTE for:
Bleach
Bakemonogatari

I want to vote against a few, but I gotta think what I will write up (along with Samurai Champloo nomination)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Nomination:

Full Moon Wo Sagashite "I Want to Sing"

Type of Series: (sort of) Magical Girl, Music, Romance, Comedy

Synopsis: Twelve year old Mitsuki Koyama is a girl who loves to sing and her dream is to be a pop star so that she can be reunited with the boy she loves. Unfortunately Mitsuki has a type of infection in her throat that limits her ability to sing, affects her health and the prognosis predicts that she may lose her voice due to the treatment. This sad state of affairs have attracted the attention of a pair of Shinigami who are given the responsibility to inform her that she will die within one year. Unbeknownst to both her and the shinigami, Mitsuki is somehow able to see them before they are ready to make themselves visible, so they introduce each other and become friends.

Soon afterwards, being the opportunistic and optimistic girl she is she tries to audition at a talent scout looking for new singers, despite being told not to by her strict guardian, her doctor who insists she must rest and her new Shinigami friends, she goes anyway. To top it all off, girls under 16 are not allowed to participate in the audition. One of the shinigami, Takuto feels sorry for her and grants her the ability to transform into a 16 yo version of herself who is fully healthy and able to sing naturally. So she enters the talent competition but feels very nervous and begins to worry if this was a mistake. Her awkwardness is added by another participant she meets who is a mean girl and tells her the winner has already been decided.

So once her number is called all her confidence is gone and she begins to sing, her performance is very dull but they give her another chance. After seeing Takuto rooting for her, she refocuses on her goal and remembers her beloved Eichi-kun. Once she starts singing again she feels an exhilerating rush of excitement because her voice is loud and beautiful, while singing she thinks how happy she is and truly appreciates the wonderful gift she has been granted.

At the end of the song the room is completely silent, with each of the judges jaws basically between their knees and they are so struck with amazement that she has to go "Ahem" and remind them that she is done. Basically she won the competition despite supposedly another girl already being nominated. They must have changed their minds they were so moved by Mitsuki's performance. Mitsuki is as suprised and astonished as they are, and now she's on her way to becoming a big star like she always dreamed of.

What Makes it Great: this is one of the most inspiring first episodes I've ever seen. The very end when she was able to start singing and how she completely caught all the judges off guard, just filled me with a huge rush of emotion and joy. I think an anime about sick children is a tough thing to handle and this show pulls it off in a very charming, cheerful way that really makes you feel for the protagonist. You really get the sense that despite having shinigami helping her out, it will be a tough battle for Mitsuki to tackle the entertainment world. Besides, the only ability she is given is to transform into a teenager with a healthy body. No actual powers or magical abilities. So this really encourages you to root for her, plus this situation presents added challenges, like how is she going to live this dual life as an elementary school girl and teen pop star. How does she keep people she knows from meeting her other identity? All this is answered in an entertaining and realistic way later on in the show. Plus it has a love triangle, not to mention the absolutely hilarious antics of the two shinigami each with their own cute chibi versions of themselves.

Image: http://i43.tinypic.com/25re5ae.jpg

Link: anime#872

***oh also Vote For: Ouran High Host Club

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

I've seen it, but... I dismissed it out of hand since I didn't get on with the series as a whole.

And this is exactly the attitude why I typically don't do these ANN forum tournaments. People vote for shows and not for whatever the tournament is actually about. When I select my votes, I can already tell that there is going at be at least one series I'll vote for that I absolutely despise, but I can't deny the powerful opening scene and therefore see why it should be included in this tournament.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Hey, at least I'm upfront about it. I did say I'd revisit the first episode so I'm not being completely ignorant. I'd certainly never vote for or against a candidate based merely on the show itself, since that would defeat the object.

You're right though, it seems more about the shows sometimes. Some of the nominations seem to reflect that as well (in my opinion). But hey, that's why we have votes. The solid choices should pull through.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Last nomination I make for tonight before I hit the sack...

Nominating:
Serial Experiments Lain, "Weird"
Type of Series: Cyberpunk thriller/ drama
Synopsis: Lain Iwakura is a shy middle school student with few friends and interests. Upon hearing rumors of an e-mail being sent out to her classmates from a classmate named Chisa Yomoda who committed suicide weeks earlier, Lain logs onto the Wired (Internet in the world of Lain) and comes across the e-mail which proclaims that Chisa's mind has now entered the wired world. Curious over the e-mail's contents, Lain starts to become immersed in the activities of the Wired as she learns more of her nature.
What Makes It Great: Being one of anime's prominent mind-bending titles, Serial Experiments Lain delivers enough with its content and presentation that make it stick out of the norm within its first episode. The series opens with a girl's voice asking why you won't come with her following random shots of city scenery, followed up with the disturbing scene of Chisa's suicide as she proclaims she doesn't need to be in the world anymore. A number of everyday scenes with Lain or shots of city landscapes often come with the sound of electrical wires buzzing and colored shadows symbolizing the close connection that the wired world has with reality. Hints are dropped that Lain may not be quite so ordinary as she hears various voices and sees things that can't be seen or heard by other people, examples which include a message inviting her to come to the Wired on a chalkboard while at school and seeing Chisa appear in front of her and vanish. All this is slowly paced and done to have one become drawn to the mysteries about to come surrounding the connection both Lain's nature and Chisa's suicide have with the Wired.
Image: Lain pic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24