• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and Surround Sound

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought a panasonic A/V reciever and was just thinking of how the whole anime experience is going to be now.
How many of you watch it in surround?

I've notice alot of the dvd releases are dolby digital and atleast have 5.1

I get to rewatch full metal panic, noir, heck even the tenchi muyo collection again in all its surround sound glory. Very Happy

I'm waiting on the speaker set I ordered but I have a question about digital audio outputs. I have the option of going coaxial or optical from my dvd player. I've read lots of different things about which one is more suitable. anybody got opinions or experience with this?

also can you wire the dvd\console to your tv and then audio out to the receiver or does it need to go to the reciever first.
I was just thinkkng because I have a few other things to wire up aswell. I have a cube with some games that I hear are good in surround. Thanks for any help.
MrAnime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:17 pm Reply with quote
You can hook up your DVD player in many ways. You can hook it up to both your receiver and your tv set at the same time and not have any problems. Hook it up directly to your receiver and then to your tv, you should get better picture quality because the receive will boost the signal a bit. Then you can hook the other set of A/V outputs from your DVD player to your tv. That way you can use it without turning the receiver on. Epecially late at night. And I suggest you use the optical digital out. It sounds better. Thought the cable is a bit pricier that a coaxial one.

Hope I was able to help out a bit without comfusing you.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I've found the surround track on most television series rather weak. If you own a large percentage of recent movies, surround becomes very nice, but for the most part anime series don't compare very well to current US tv shows imo.

I wouldn't use the monitor's audio at all. Not only do the built in speakers hurt in direction definition, but they tend to have poor quality. Plug your Game Cube and everything else into the receiver. As far as I know televisions do not have surround decoders built in.

As far as the connections, I've been forced to keep both cables plugged in (at least for my Pioneer LD/DVD combo monster). Although I prefer to use optical, for some reason it will not carry the analog track's data. So if I want to hear audio commentary (which is frequently on the right analog track) I need to change audio settings on my reciever. Fortunately I use the MD input for my LD optical in, since I don't own an MD.

If you really want to test your system play the Moria scenes from the Fellowship of the Rings DVD on your system. This scene is one of the nicest mixed scenes I can think of atm.

hope this helps.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:38 pm Reply with quote
finally! I got the speaker set. My only gripe is that the sub is passive. its hooked up inline with the left and right speakers. it doesn't even use the sub input. in stereo it has great bass but it just doesn't produce in surround.
I've played "The dream is alive" the old space imax movie. and I"ve played full metal panic.

the sound is great but your right it doesn't have the total immersive encoding as I was hoping for. atleast not on fmp.
HOwever the sound is so clear I picked up on things they said that I didn't catch in the multiple previous viewings. that is a plus.

I'm going to get another subwoofer, any suggestions?

I haven't played any 5.1 encoded anime yet. I know noir is, so i'll try that later today. I"ve been playing metroid prime on the cube.

"ah, the rain...."

I hooked the dvd in dvd and the cube in as vcr. I don't have one of those. and the tv is just there as it use to be.

Have any of you noticed any significant boost in s-video performance. before I had it directly to the tv but wiring through the reciever it seems alittle better. I used better cables maybe thats why?
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Good cables make a huge difference when hooking up an AV system.
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, it's been my experience that anime with surround channels rarely take advantage of much more than the front two zones....

Don't expect the Lord of the Rings from these things.... cause you aren't gonna get it.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:15 am Reply with quote
ah a gem!

noir is 5.1 and I just bought the final volume at suncoast, well it was free really with a coupon (love those triple point days)
it made better use of surround. the last volume was good but didn't have as much noticeable changes in front to side sound imaging.

the other volumes with alot of gun action really shines. the silencers in vol.4 really zip across the room, you can really feel like your in the gun fight. So yes atleast this anime utilizes it rather well. I"ve looked at the boxes if everything else I have. There dolby but not 5.1.
Ruri_Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:03 am Reply with quote
End of Evangelion had a few nice 5.1 moments. Like the 'surrounded by your ex-girlfriends' seen. Each line is said from a different speaker or speakers to give the effect that the character is indeed 'surrounded'.

I think it was Spriggan that had some good 5.1 as well, and Cowboy Bebop was okay with it's 5.1.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
hellsing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SkullKnight"]I recently bought a panasonic A/V reciever and was just thinking of how the whole anime experience is going to be now.
How many of you watch it in surround?

i watch all of my anime in surround sound if its not in surround sound then it just dosent really get me into the anime that watching one in surround would!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Ruri_Hoshino wrote:
End of Evangelion had a few nice 5.1 moments. Like the 'surrounded by your ex-girlfriends' seen. Each line is said from a different speaker or speakers to give the effect that the character is indeed 'surrounded'.

I think it was Spriggan that had some good 5.1 as well, and Cowboy Bebop was okay with it's 5.1.

LMAO yeah! when I first heard it in full 5.1, I was watching it at 3am while studying, scared the shit out of me (even had one of my cats climb the blinds), great sound. Bebop is also pretty good if it's some high quality speakers *thinks of the scene where spike rescues faye from vincent with 'rain' playing in the backround*
Pendragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've got a nice Bose surround sound system, and man does it make a difference. It just makes the whole experience better when you watch it in surround sound. Bebop's nice to hear in surround sound, but I'm biased since it's my favorite series. ^^

And one can only imagine what it feels like to play a game such as Halo. You just get sucked into the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:40 am Reply with quote
I was thinking of getting bebop but I do have the movie. Guess I"ll check it out.

alot of the series that aren't in 5.1 are still good to listen too, atleast being dolby encoded gives it some credit.
Pendragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote
Definately get Bebop. Great series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been going through my collection with surround in mind and must say the Escaflowne movie has a good ac3 track. Jin-Roh has ac3 in both English and Japanese. A larger amount of films and some OAVs are now being recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 or AC3. Unfortunately a good number of the newest generation of tv shows still lack a surround track. I just watched Kaze no Yojimbo which lacks surround in both English and Japanese.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I've been going through my collection with surround in mind and must say the Escaflowne movie has a good ac3 track. Jin-Roh has ac3 in both English and Japanese. A larger amount of films and some OAVs are now being recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 or AC3. Unfortunately a good number of the newest generation of tv shows still lack a surround track. I just watched Kaze no Yojimbo which lacks surround in both English and Japanese.

Yeah. I have Jin-Roh and Escaflowne the Movie. I also have a bootleg (sorry) of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The DTS sounds great on these. But it does seem that just OAVs and movies seem to be getting this special treatment.

Although, I believe the dub for Boogiepop Phantom, and both languages for Noir are all in 5.1 Dolby Digital. I think there some others, but I can't think of them from the top of my head now. Mad

NOTE: Wow this thread's old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2