• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which english VAs should make the Ouran dub cast list?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sha Asashi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:30 am Reply with quote
From two seasoned fangirls, one a sub fan and one a dub fan, my girlfriend and I have jotted down a fantasy cast list for Ouran High School Host Club that goes as follows:

Tamaki Suoh~Yuri Lowenthal
    Kyouya Ootori~Braden Hunt
    Haruhi Fujioka~Laura Bailey
    Hikaru Hitachiin~Greg Ayres
    Kaoru Hitachiin~Vic Mignogna
    Takashi Morinozuka~Illich Guardiola
    Mitsukuni Haninozuka~Aaron Dismuke
    Umehito Nekozawa~Eric Vale
    Ryoji/Ranka Fujioka~Crispin Freeman
    Renge Hoshakuji~Hilary Haag
    Eclair Tonnere~Luci Christian
    Ritsu Kasanoda~Chris Patton

We agreed on this as our dream cast even if it is a bit overloaded with big-time english VAs. So what d'you guys think? ^^;
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
I know it's a "fantasy" cast list, but one problem is that it'll be dubbed by Funimation in Texas, so it's unlikely that LA-area VAs like Lowenthal and Freeman would be involved. Then again, if they got Johnny Young Bosch on BECK, I suppose it's possible.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
I think Yuri Lowenthal is a horrible choice for Tamaki. He needs someone who can make him sound crazy and smooth like he always does. Sorry just pointing this out because he's my favorite character. When you said Yuri I instantly thought of Luke from Tales of the Abyss and Haseo from .Hack Gu and well..his voice just wouldnt fit..

And I cant explain why. I just dont think it does.

Maybe Liam O' Brien...maybe..
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
As long as Vic doesn't get Tamaki I'm okay. Not that I hate Vic or anything but Tamaki's voice is just too smooth and crazy and Vic's is too raspy to make a good Tamaki. I do think Lowenthal would make a good Tamaki though Very Happy
Sha Asashi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Our decision for Yuri Lowenthal as Tamaki is pretty much based on his performance as Yuuri in Kyou Kara Maou!. We thought that he did a really good job spazzing and flailing and generally being lost and behind all the time. I also think Yuri would definitely bring out that sweet, dorky side of Tamaki very well too.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
In response to your question: Good ones. Wink

I can almost see (hear?) Chris Patton as Tamaki. Almost. It's not a whole lot like anything he's done before, but doesn't it seem like he'd be good at it?

Vic Mignogna as a twin would be perfect.

That's all I can think of for now except that I don't think Laura Bailey and Haruhi are the best match. I mean, she can do it, she can do almost anything, but she gets a lot of leads and I'm thinking I wanna hear someone else.
Twilight_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I think Vic could do a lovely Tama-chan. But I guess I'm a fangirl of Tamaki and Vic so I'd love the two together. xD Yuri at first scared me because he's Sasuke but then I remembered he's also Leo from Scrapped Princess, who was somewhat similar to Tamaki. So he could be good.

Now that I think about it, Hunny as Aaron could be cool, but I was more thinking Kimberly Grant (Momiji Sohma from Fruits Basket) because in the Japanese version, Hunny is done by the same person as Momiji in Japanese, so that'd be funny. Plus I think she could pull it off well. But I'll never say no to Aaron.

And Crispin as Ranka... hrm. I'm not so sure. I don't know who I want for him. I think Chris Sabat in his Ayame voice from Fruits Basket could be good though. The characters are somewhat similar. For Crispin, I think he could be a good Kyouya, though I'll admit I'm not familiar with Braden Hunt.

And as for Chris Patton... hrm.... I dunno. I only know him as Sosuke from Full Metal Panic! and ...eh... maybe. But I think he might make a good Tamaki too, now that I consider it.

But Funi's doing to so it will certainly be good, even if it's not our dream cast.
akunoyume

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hey there cats, this is the girlfriend of the woman who started this. Very Happy Thanks much for all your feedback, it's always nice to hypothesize on voice actors/actoresses for newly-licensed animes, and I appreciate your comments and critisisms. I wanted to reply on some of those very things, just cause I feel like talking. Anime hyper

The choice to cast Crispin Freeman as Ranka I'll defend to the death because the very first Freeman role I was introduced to was as Rosiel in Angel Sanctuary. I'll never be able to understand how Alucard and Rosiel are the same man but my god I know it's a talent I wish I had. Anime hyper Just that voice range in someone like Ranka would only add to his/her's charm. <3

I'll agree that Chris Patton has the potential to voice Tamaki, and if he does get the part I'll still be very happy. But Vic as Tamaki? Really? You want Ed's voice in Tamaki? I mean, yeah, range of emotions in an actor is great, but just his tone doesn't seem to suit Tamaki's character. He's a relatively naive highschooler, so someone with a voice as unique as Vic

And is it that everyone agrees with Greg and Eric's roles? Or do you guys just all love Greg and don't know who Eric is. Anime hyperD And what about the lack of love for Brydan? I think he'd make a decent Kyouya, believable to say the least. And why not throw in the age-old debate? Will YOU watch the dub of Ouran or will you buy your DVDs and play them in their original language? SUB OR DUB. PICK OR LOSE! >Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
akunoyume wrote:
And is it that everyone agrees with Greg and Eric's roles? Or do you guys just all love Greg and don't know who Eric is. Anime hyperD And what about the lack of love for Brydan? I think he'd make a decent Kyouya, believable to say the least.

Welcome to the boards, guys!

I think you might not be getting alot of responses because this has been discussed at least twice since we got word that Ouran has been licensed. I think it's been generally agreed that Greg Ayres should be one of the twins - although he seems to have been mentioned more for Kaoru than Hikaru. I love your idea of Eric Vale as Nekozawa though - an inspired choice that hadn't crossed my mind (and yeah, I think most of us know who he is since Ouran fans often crossover with Fruits Basket Wink ). I'd have to give your Braden Hunt as Kyouya a little mulling over. Maybe...

I'd also like to address Twilight Alchemist's Chris Sabat suggestion. I think I remember him saying in the Fruits Basket cast commentary that (to paraphrase) he had actually wanted to play Hatori and wasn't really comfortable with Ayame because he was too sensitive about unintentionally offending people who really are like that in the real world. Given that, I don't know if he'd really want to play Ranka. If we're considering the FB cast, how about John Burgmeier? He played an awesome den mother Very Happy, and showed in the handful of cut-it-out-or-Akito-will-kick-Tohru-out-or-worse moments that he'd be fine in Ranka's touch-my-daughter-and-you-die scenes.

I'll also recontribute my thought of Kelli Cousins as Haruhi.

Quote:
And why not throw in the age-old debate? Will YOU watch the dub of Ouran or will you buy your DVDs and play them in their original language? SUB OR DUB. PICK OR LOSE! >Very Happy

Um, because starting that usually begins fights that get your thread locked... Wink

At any rate, I'm a fan of the manga and will be happy when the anime reaches Region 1.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
For me, I know I don't want Vic as Tamaki. He wouldn't be good for it, IMO. He'd be much better suited to playing one of the twins, or maybe Tamaki's dad.

My cast list:

Tamaki: Liam O'Brien or Jack Lingo
Haruhi: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Kyouya: Chris Patton
Ranka: Jamie Marchi
Hunny: Luci Christian
Mori: John Burgmeier
Renge: Michelle Ruff
Kaoru: Travis Willingham
Hikaru: Liam O'Brien or Jack Lingo (whoever of them is not Tamaki)
Nekozawa: Brandon Potter
Sha Asashi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
For me, I know I don't want Vic as Tamaki. He wouldn't be good for it, IMO. He'd be much better suited to playing one of the twins, or maybe Tamaki's dad.

My cast list:

Tamaki: Liam O'Brien or Jack Lingo
Haruhi: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Kyouya: Chris Patton
Ranka: Jamie Marchi
Hunny: Luci Christian
Mori: John Burgmeier
Renge: Michelle Ruff
Kaoru: Travis Willingham
Hikaru: Liam O'Brien or Jack Lingo (whoever of them is not Tamaki)
Nekozawa: Brandon Potter

Just a quick question about your ideal cast to sate my curiousity. XD Why Travis as Kaoru? He's known for having an authoritative voice, strong and in command, and that's why people liked him as Mustang. I think of Kaoru's voice as matching his personality: an inquistitive, dramatic, and slight depressed freshman boy. It goes to the whole Vic isn't Tamaki argument: Travis and Vic have older voices for they are older guys (though Vic wins the age trophy w00t). It just doesn't fit. But I still would love to hear your reasoning on it, perhaps I may be persuaded. :o
riccardo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd like to see Kira Vincent-Davis as Haruhi. D.N.Angel fans will know she does quite a funny boys voice, I think it would be good. Or maybe Mona Marshall, she does quite a good low range voice as well.

I think Chris Ayers would be a good Tamaki, honestly, he can do that silly, arm waving craziness but also can be downright cool sounding when in serious mode.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
riccardo wrote:
I think I'd like to see Kira Vincent-Davis as Haruhi. D.N.Angel fans will know she does quite a funny boys voice, I think it would be good.
She could do a very believable voice for the character. (In other words, one that would lend itself to the hosts not realizing that Haruhi is wearing the wrong uniform.)

At this point, I don't really care who does the voices, so long as Funimation just gets the lead out and releases it already. What are they waiting for? The Mayan calendar to end?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

At this point, I don't really care who does the voices, so long as Funimation just gets the lead out and releases it already. What are they waiting for? The Mayan calendar to end?

Amen. I so don't want to be powering down the aisles at FYE in 2012. Still, casting and dubbing take time, and if more time means a better dub in Ouran's case, then more power to them.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Twilight_Alchemist wrote:
I think Vic could do a lovely Tama-chan. But I guess I'm a fangirl of Tamaki and Vic so I'd love the two together. xD Yuri at first scared me because he's Sasuke .

Then I think Yuri and Sasuke's voice actor needs to be Kyouya. We were watching Naruto right before the Valley of the end, and Sasuke was laughing like a mad man and I was like OMG the shadow king.

I think Vic should be Nekozawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2