• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay first of all I know recommendation threads aren't allowed however the Anime Hunting/Recommendation thread only covers specific genres and to say the least I'm not looking for anime belonging to a certain genre. What I am looking for are anime told in a certain way. So without further ado the type of anime I'm looking for are:

Anime that are played out much like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Baccano. So basically anime that are told in a non-linear fashion. Now I'm not sure if this is allowed (again I know the rules) but I really felt asking for recommendations along these lines would be okay.

Anyways if this is still breaking the rules then feel free to lock this thread. However for anyone viewing this and unable to respond to my request please private message me with any suggestions for anime that are similar in presentation to the aforementioned titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The only other anime title I can think of that plays out in a decidedly non-linear fashion is Boogiepop Phantom, where the episodes not only aren't in chronological order but one episode actually plays out backwards. Its twelve episodes fit together like a jigsaw puzzle to form the whole picture, and some of its scenes repeat in different episodes but with different perspectives. Keeping track of what all is going on takes some effort (I recommend taking notes as you watch) but it's worth it when you see the big picture at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Mermaid's Forest has thirteen episodes which skip around. The first couple of episodes take place in the present, but we flip to various time frames throughout the series with many episodes not even acknowledging the present.

Jinki Extend skips around within individual episodes and can be very confusing when it comes to what is happening when. It isn't handled nearly as well as Boogiepop Phantom.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
(Spoilered just in case...)
Touka Gettan spoiler[is told backwards. Confused the hell out of me for the first few episodes (I have yet to finish it).] Very nice animation, though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Rumbling Hearts has a bit of non-linearity in that spoiler[ there's a time skip forward and then a few episodes that fill in the skipped time. But for the most part, it's linear, especially in the second half.] (No plot spoilers contained, but I figured I'd play it safe.)

Although I haven't seen them. Divergence Eve and its sequel appear to use weird/messed-up timelines. A look at the title list will shows S1 Ep 1 as "Mission 2," S1 Ep12 as "Mission 1," and S1 Ep13 as "Mission 3." And then there's a "Mission 4" in the second season somewhere.

Shamanic Princess: spoiler[The last two episodes are chronologically the first two.] (Again no plot spoilers, just the concept.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1