• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2008: Anime to look forward to and why.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
So lets start this over again...

The new year has started (once again) and I would like to hear suggestions and expectations for oncoming series for this year.

As for myself I am really excited for the 2nd season of Suzumiya Haruhi, which I've heard several times that it will once again, be based on the light novels. From where 1st season had left off, I'm assuming the 2nd season will start off with "bamboo leaf rhapsody" and the whole volume of "the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya". (P.M. for more information.) Along with snow mountain syndrome and several others. Will the 2nd season wrap up the rest of the light novel volumes into a 24 episode season? Or will they divide it and possibly make a 3rd season some time from now? (I have yet to hear the actual title for the 2nd season.) Residing that hyped series, I am also focusing my anticipation towards Minami Ke - Okawari (2nd season of Minami-Ke) which I've heard that the cast will be slightly different as also for the whole animation company as well.

With its witty comedy/humor, somewhat alike to lucky-star and azumanga daioh (I.m.o) has left a special room inside me to enjoy this series as well.
As for myself, the most anticipated series would be Gunslinger Girl - IL Teatrino (season 2). The main reason as to why this would be the most aniticipated series for me would be that this was the very first anime that had me caught up all too much into the surrealistic drama and subtle melancholy behind every single character which mixed very well with an astounding OST. I would also like to mention Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Dainiki (season 2). From the 1st season, along with its flamboyant comedy/humor, 1 episode was enough to get me hooked to the series. For the oncoming series in spring of 2008, Higurashi no naku koro Ni ~season 3 will also be put onto the drawing board. I am still debating as to whether or not I should watch the 3rd series when it is released mainly because of its raw bone clenching plot that is magnificiently twisted to a gore/bloodraged theme. (but that is also why it was very addicting and somewhat enjoyable to very few). To make things clear, I am not a sadist. (and neither does it apply for just watching this series.)

Also, Cencoroll, which I have no idea what it's about, intrigued me and caught my attention with just 1 picture preview which suited my taste towards the style of drawing and animation, although, my intuition by looking at 1 picture for a series hunt has yet to fail me. Last but not least, xxxholic season 2, which is not merely (I.M.O) is as hyped for anticipation, and going just by the 1st season, will also be put on the drawing board. With its obscure situations, along with abnormal occurrence's, and pasty humor, was more than enjoyable to watch. [/b]
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
As I said before, I'm really looking forward to Real Drive. I'm a huge fan of both Production I.G and Masamune Shirow, and even more of a fan of both of them together. The premise sounds interesting (sort like the next logical step after GitS), especially since there haven't been as many decent sci-fi anime of late (although Ghost Hound is shaping up to be pretty good - once again, you can't go wrong with I.G and Shirow together.)

Of course, I'll also be checking out the second season of Haruhi. I loved the first season, and I'm curious about the new situations the characters will be finding themselves in. I'm considering watching the second season of xxxHOLiC too, but I haven't finished the first season yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Allison and Lilia and Real Drive sound like the most promising anime series so far. And of course for whenever the second series of Haruhi Suzumiya begins.

Wolf and Spice (why has ANN reversed the title?) should also be pretty damn good if the anime manages to capture the spirit of the original novel as opposed to turning into otaku-fodder.

As for movies, I'm really pumped about Cencoroll, Time of Eve (by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, the same talent by the criminally underappreciated one-man show that is Pale Cocoon), and The Sky Crawlers (since Oshii isn't scripting, it's less likely to become another Innocence). Am a bit more hesitant about Hayao Miyazaki's upcoming movie after the travesty that is Howl's Moving Castle, but still looking forward to it all the same.

And I suppose the Evangelion movies, as well.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
People, please remember to state reasons as to why you're looking forward to said titles. If it's a sequel, make reference to the previous incarnation and any expectations you might have in fulfilling/complimenting the already established work. If it's brand new, talk about any staff or production aspects you think are affecting your decision to give it a shot in the first place. Be detailed (or at least a little).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yay @ Murasakisuishou! <3

Most of this is copypasta from the other thread:

Real Drive and Wolf and Spice are my top two, of course after season two of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'll also give Minami-ke: Okawari a chance, even though the first season was a pointless waste of time. A chance for redemption (and more Hosaka)?

Real Drive, as stated above, is Production I.G and Masamune Shirow back for another round of awesomeness and more amazing visuals. That is, after they finish Ghost Hound. (Other I.G shows I need to check out that are apparentl vintage '07 include Tokyo Marble Chocolate and Yumedamaya.)

Wolf and Spice looks like a promising title with an interesting story. I really like the concept and character designs, and I've heard many good things about the original novels. We need more good fantasy titles anyway.

Ponyo on a Cliff is the new Miyazaki movie... That should be on anyone's list. Though I don't know a thing about it.

The Sky Crawlers is a movie from Production I.G and Mamoru Oshii. (Yeah, Oshii, whatever.) It's based on a series of novels about these kids who basically don't grow up and fight wars created by adults for "entertainment." Angst, much? I want to see how Oshii handles children protagonists.

There's a few others, like Shigofumi: Stories of Last Letter, which I don't know much about, but it looks decent enough to check out, and another season of Aria. (But I need to finish the first two and OAV!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I'll also give Minami-ke: Okawari a chance, even though the first season was a pointless waste of time. A chance for redemption (and more Hosaka)?

I'm curious to know why, as I thought that the first season was one of fall's better offerings.

Anyway,
I'm really excited for season 2 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, as the first season was great. I'd like to check out the second and third seasons of Gunslinger Girl, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, and Aria.

Allison and Lillia is a must, as I loved Kino's Journey and they're both by Keiichi Sigsawa. Plus, it looks very promising.

Wolf and Spice looks like it could worth a try too, since most of the feedback I've seen from the original novels has been positive.

Ponyo on a Cliff goes without saying. I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli, so of course I'll be itching to see it. The Sky Crawlers's plot intrigues me, looks like it will be angsty, though that could be a good or bad thing.

Shigofumi: Stories of Last Letter looks a cross between Kino's Journey and Shinigami no Ballad, thus it appeals to me.

There's probably more I might like, I'll have to wait and see.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I'll also give Minami-ke: Okawari a chance, even though the first season was a pointless waste of time. A chance for redemption (and more Hosaka)?

I'm curious to know why, as I thought that the first season was one of fall's better offerings.

I didn't say it was bad, but it wasn't funny or terribly interesting. Chiaki was not a character I could end up liking, even though I'm a fan of Minori Chihara. Kanna was okay, but she got boring after a while (she was better in the last few episodes). I wanted to see more of Haruka, but when we got the chance, it was in some form of her clothes ripping off unrealistically. Rolling Eyes

I thought the side characters were better, especially Touma, but then there were characters like Makoto (and that "Mako-chan") that only got in the way. The only character I became interested in seeing more of -- because he was actually funny -- was Hosaka. I thought the spoiler[Minami bros.] might be interesting, but it turns out they were about as useless as the sisters.

Then there was the scene at the end when spoiler[what's-their-faces wasted half the episode trying to call while Kanna held the line for two hours. When the line's busy, you could at least wait a little more than two seconds...] Confused

It's a decent show, but it's just not as good as slife like Aria. At least it accomplishes something.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Actually, I felt Haruka was the most bland of the trio, which is why I preferred Chiaki and Kana. I can see why someone would dislike Chiaki though, she's pretty, eh, sardonic. ^^;

Though I find the comparison to Aria a bit odd. Minami-ke has a stronger comedy factor...perhaps comparing it to Azumanga Daioh or Strawberry Marshmallow would be a bit fairer, since those are both slice-of-life comedies.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
For the season we just started Wolf & Spice is the only one that really interest me. Andrew C gave it a good wrap up when he reviewed the light novel and I've enjoyed the 4 manga chapters I've read which I've been told are faithful to the novel.

Spring though is what I and I'm sure everyone else is really waiting for. Macross Frontier had the best first episode I saw last year so I'm eagerly waiting on the continuation in April. Code Geass ended on a massive cliffhanger so I'm also very eager to continue that with Code Geass 2, though I think the writers may have wrote themselves into a hole here so lets see what happens.

Haruhi 2 is another big sequel I'm anxiously awaiting, last May I watched the first series and it got me back into the anime fandom after a few years of disinterest. Andrew gave the section of the ligh novels which season 2 seems to be making the focus a very good wrap so I'm really looking forward to it.

Soul Eater by Studio Bones is based on a very stylish shounen manga which I've enjoyed. It's going to be 50 episodes long and since Soul Eater has only 10 volumes out it looks like Bones will have to do an FMA with it and make the last half an original story/ending.

Production I.G after giving us 2 great series in 07 with Seirei no Moribito and Ghost Hound look to keep giving us more good stuff in 08 with the already mentioned Real Drive (for the same reasons as everyone else) and Library War (which should be quality since it's airing in the Noitamina block).

I'm also hoping for sequels to Nodame Cantabile & FMP The Second Raid to be announced for Fall 08, but at this stage it's mostly hope.
Avs0001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
I think the problem with Minami-ke's first season is that the last 2 episodes really didn't go out with a bang. That being said, it probably left a bad taste in people's mouths in a metaphorical sense.

Besides what has already been mentioned:

Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de because they've got a decent cast, and because it's sure to have some lols, and hopefully different from Hayate.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Though I find the comparison to Aria a bit odd. Minami-ke has a stronger comedy factor...perhaps comparing it to Azumanga Daioh or Strawberry Marshmallow would be a bit fairer, since those are both slice-of-life comedies.

Ah, true, I forgot about the comedy aspect. Probably because I didn't think it was all that funny. I still don't think it compares to Azumanga Daioh; I haven't seen all of Strawberry Marshmallow. We all have different tastes in our comedies. Like I said, though, I didn't not like it. I agree with Avs -- the last episodes weren't very "climatic."

Westlo, thanks for mentioning Soul Eater. I checked it (the manga) out and it does look really good. BONES hasn't really failed me yet, so I look forward to it. Actually, I'm really desperate for new series... the beginning of '08 isn't looking terribly strong, so I need names.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Here are some series I'm looking into for this season (beoynd that, most of what I plan on seeing has already been mentioned).

H20~footprints in the sand~: I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, the fanservice-ridden trailer seems to be leading this down a harem road. But the serious-sounding plot summary doesn’t lead me to believe it’ll go there. Either way, the art is pretty good, and Ami Koshimizu is on the VA cast.

Persona-trinity soul-: The series has an overall dark, serious, and standout vibe; which is my exact cup of tea. And the director of this series (Jun Matsumoto) also directed Blood +’s second ending, which I loved.

True tears:The OP looks amazingly awesome; the song and art both fit together extremely well and I’ll at least watch the first episode. [Edit by poster: It seems I mixed up the OP from the anime and the game. The game's OP is what I commented on. Embarassed . The anime's opening is okay, but not the awesomeness I expected. Oh well.] I’m also excited about this series because Kaori Nazuka is among the VA cast.

Minami-ke ~Okawari~: I’m still deciding weather or not to check out this one. I loved the original Minami-ke (points to avatar), but the next season looks anything but promising. The new series will almost certainly be more shounen and fanservice-ridden than the original, and the new character designs resemble something like bad fanart. Still, I have a little voice telling me to give owari the benefit of the doubt and at least give it a chance to be entertaining. I don’t think I’ll ever think of this as Minami-ke’s “second season”, but rather a totally new series.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
I didn't say it was bad, but it wasn't funny or terribly interesting. Chiaki was not a character I could end up liking, even though I'm a fan of Minori Chihara. Kanna was okay, but she got boring after a while (she was better in the last few episodes). I wanted to see more of Haruka, but when we got the chance, it was in some form of her clothes ripping off unrealistically.

I’ll admit Minami-ke dragged in spots, but for the most part I saw it as a great comedy. I agree that we saw too little of Haruka (excluding spoiler[Hosaka’s fantasies]), but the other sisters had more interesting personalities. I’ve always loved the “quiet and independent loli” character, which is probably why Chiaki was probably my favorite Minami.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Then there was the scene at the end when spoiler[what's-their-faces wasted half the episode trying to call while Kanna held the line for two hours. When the line's busy, you could at least wait a little more than two seconds...]

spoiler[A middle-school kid calling their crush constantly;] it’s unwise, but realistic and funny

Ookami to Koushinryou: Very possibly the most anticipated series of this season, and better known as “Spicy Wolf”. It’s just too unique for me to not check out. Plus, the cast includes more Ami Koshimizu Smile .

Last edited by Lemwon on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:
Minami-ke ~Owari~: I’m still deciding weather or not to check out this one. I loved the original Minami-ke (points to avatar), but the next season looks anything but promising. The new series will almost certainly be more shounen and fanservice-ridden than the original, and the new character designs resemble something like bad fanart. Still, I have a little voice telling me to give owari the benefit of the doubt and at least give it a chance to be entertaining. I don’t think I’ll ever think of this as Minami-ke’s “second season”, but rather a totally new series.

I think it's supposed to be Okawari (second helping?)and not Owari (end).

I agree. After seeing the preview, I also thought that it might be a lot more ecchi than the series (the series wasn't ecchi at all, but it did have service moments). I'm also unsure about the new character designs. I don't think there was anything wrong with the ones from the series, so why change it? I'll still give it a shot. I liked the original series, so I might like the OVA.

Speaking of original series, since I've seen the original Gunslinger Girl and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I'll definitely watch the second season of both series.

I also want to see H20~footprints in the sand~. A friend of mine told me that H20 is a lot like Ef - A Tale of Memories, and I really loved Ef, so anything similar to it is a must watch for me.

I saw a trailer for True Tears and I liked what I saw, so I'm gonna check it out too. Mnemosyne also had an impressive trailer, it seemed like a mysterious and psychological anime (which I'm into these days).

I might see Rosario + Vampire too - A lot of my friends have read the manga and they tell me it's great.

As for Persona, I'm just gonna check it out because I liked the video games.

Before I end this post, does anyone know where I can find a list of the new releases for this season? As well as a link that offers a brief synopsis for each one? I don't have a lot of info on the new series.
Avs0001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree. After seeing the preview, I also thought that it might be a lot more ecchi than the series (the series wasn't ecchi at all, but it did have service moments). I'm also unsure about the new character designs. I don't think there was anything wrong with the ones from the series, so why change it? I'll still give it a shot. I liked the original series, so I might like the OVA.

Well its a different production right? Now what if we saw Okawari first. Either way it would feel weird in general when the art changes either way. I say give Minami-ke (alternate retelling) a chance if the first amused you at all.

I hope Gunslinger Girl learns from its mistakes in the first series and either leans more towards action, or more towards character development instead of trying to do both. Its material, and thus writers, just don't have what it takes to master both at the same time.
Superflyz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
The most anticipated series for me would be Gunslinger Girl. Granted, the art direction seems to be... lacking... but the story should be awesome if I go by the manga. Pule the Triela vs Pinocchio fight is finally going to be animated.

It's also a shame that they didn't get another "The Delgados" track for the opening, but having Kou Ootani as the music composer is an ideal, if not much better trade.

Also, with Alessandro in the character/voice actor list (according to ANN's database) there's a good chance that a 3rd season/extended 2nd season will be in the near future.

Lastly, with ADV finally resuming the GSG manga... goddam it's good to be a GSG fan right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2