• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gigantic Formula

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm basically going to copy and paste from my blog, as that's all I know at the moment but the site has opened for a new show called Apo Mekhanes Theos: Gigantic Forumula (機神大戦 ギガンティック・フォーミュラ - haven't deciphered the Kanji title yet) - "Apo Mekhanes Theos" being "Deus ex machina" ("God from the machine") in Greek. All three gímik members (Keiji Gotoh as director, Hidefumi Kimura as scriptwriter and Megumi Kadonosono as.. character something) are involved, with the addition of Koji Yabuno (Kamichu!) as Character Designer. Must of the text on the site is on the splash image so I can't just babelfish it, but it seems to be about a giant mecha robot wars tournament set in a post-apocalyptic world with a teenage boy and girl as the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
機神大戦 would be Kishin Taisen, I'm guessing, which literally means "Machine God Great War" if you break it down character by character. "The Great Mechanical God War," perhaps? I hate to say it, but it seems suspiciously similar to this series.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Apo Mekhanes Theos: Gigantic Forumula (機神大戦 ギガンティック・フォーミュラ - haven't deciphered the Kanji title yet)

Apo Mekhanes Theos 機神大戦 ギガンティック・フォーミュラ

=

Apo Mekhanes Theos Kishin Taisen Gigantikku Fômyura

=

Ape Mekhanes Theos - Machine God Great War - Gigantic Formula

=

"Ape Mekhanes Theos - The Great War of the Machine God(s) - Gigantic Formula"

It seems clear that the Ape Mekhanes Theos is supposed to be read as an adjunct to kishin, which could itself easily be read as "god in the machine". I'd say the full proper title in English ought to be the last one, cumbersome and unwieldy though it might be.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Must of the text on the site is on the splash image so I can't just babelfish it, but it seems to be about a giant mecha robot wars tournament set in a post-apocalyptic world with a teenage boy and girl as the main characters.

As I make it out, it's about a post-apocalyptic world (involving some sort of climate change - they speak of winter at the Equator). In this new world order, some sort of robotic duels are arranged, and the two teens (a boy of 13 and a girl of 14) are Japan's representatives in this tournament or war-by-proxy.

- abunai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1