• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bosch explains E7 dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It is on the [as] site, but I am not sure how many people actually go there, and it is semi-interesting. So I just wanted to post it here so ya'll could take a looksy, because [as] has a nasty habit of only leaving things like that up for 2 or 3 days.

Anyway here is Renton.

He can really hit those high notes, even though his voice is fairly deep. Pretty cool. Although on this vid he kinda sounds like a girl, but I guess thats what a sound engineer is for. Also what do you think of the apple trick. Never seen that before, then again I haven't watched half of my extras either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
all I noticed was that really nice Chi poster D:
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh that Johnny Yong Bosch! Seeing him brings back great memories of Power Rangers from when I was a kid. I love seeing him. It's so nostalgic.

Well, he can really play with his voice. His voice is deep, and the way he can do those voices is quite astounding. He must have had to do alot of training to be able to manipulate his voice like that. I wonder how he'll do as Ichigo..... I bet that apple was tasty too (I guess you could consider me a human Ryuk when it comes to apples).

I love that Eureka 7 music too! Yesterday I got that song Shonen Heart (the second opening), and I can't stop listening to it! Twisted Evil
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
He's doing Icihigo too? I didn't know that.

Personally I hate Renton's Japanese voice, and prefer the dubbed one by ten fold. He did a really good job w/ it.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
He's doing Icihigo too? I didn't know that.

Yup. This is the cast for Bleach:

Ichigo - Johnny Young Bosch
Rukia - Michelle Ruff
Isshin - Patrick Seitz
Karin - Kate Higgins
Orihime - Stephanie Sheh
Tatsuki - Wendee Lee
Ishida - Derek Stephen Prince

It's in a previous ANN headline.
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit taken aback myself with how girlie he sounded. But I guess for a VA to have that type of a range showcases the level of 'talent' one has??? It should be interesting to see how well he does as Ichigo with the loud yet bold and extravagant bravados during some of the fighting. He was pretty decent (IMO) as Vash from Trigun. So I'm confident that Johnny B will be convincing as Ichigo. I haven't seen too much of Bleach myself (sub - only up to ep. 40) so I'm not that attached to the Japanese voice. I may even be more inclined to prefer the dub over what I'm currently used to. Only time will tell. But thanks for the link Dargonxtc. I myself hardly ever go to the AS website so this never would've caught my eye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dargonxtc for the link! It was interesting to get a view into the world of dubbing.

What caught my eye in the beginning was the Ai Yori Aoshi postcard. I never knew dubbing can be so complicated and improvised. Tony Oliver sounded like Hap in his normal voice.

I really can not hear the difference before and after the green apple. Does anyone else hear the difference?

SharinganEyes92, I share the same thought as well. He was the new Black Ranger with the Frog Zord. Ahhh, Power Rangers and the good old days.

I wonder how Johnny will sound as Ichigo in Bleach. I guess I can find out this fall when they air it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I really can not hear the difference before and after the green apple. Does anyone else hear the difference?

It wasn't to change his voice, it was to stop clicking.

You know when your spit starts sticking together, and it makes clicks as you talk. When your standing right up on a mic, you can hear it very well. Supposedly that apple helps the spit not do that, but you wouldn't be able to tell because we just got the audio off of the video camera.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty neat!

It also goes to show that people don't look the way their voices sound! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Wink

Thanks for finding that Dargonxtc!
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
You know when your spit starts sticking together, and it makes clicks as you talk. When your standing right up on a mic, you can hear it very well. Supposedly that apple helps the spit not do that, but you wouldn't be able to tell because we just got the audio off of the video camera.

One of my choir directors always recommended tea with lots of lemon (no sugar) for the same thing. It seems it's the acid that wipes out the phlegm. Same thing. I can tell you the tea with lemon works, never tried a green apple though.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
"He called me brother. That was pretty cool." Laughing

LOL at Johnny's reaction to the Chi poster.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That was interesting to see, he certainly doesn't look like I expected based on his voice but that's to be expected.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
That was really cool! Thank you! I'm just getting into Eureka 7 now, so to see Renton's voice in the studio is cool. It's interesting to see how dubbing works. I've been told about it, but I've never seen it before. I never heard the green apple thing before either Smile
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
That was a cute video. You need a lot of things before you start dubbing (including a pickle), but apparently you don't need your pants. Laughing

Hearing Renton's voice coming out of that big man was kind of disturbing. I expected him to look like a scrawny, pimply little man from how he sounds in Eureka. He's a very talented voice actor; it must be hard work to be a grown man who has to talk like a little girl for a living.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
God, this video reminded me why I don't watch the dubbed version. I absolutely abhor the way they say Eureka, it's not like the Japanese did, and it's not like the English word it was intended to be in the first place.

Wolverine Princess wrote:
...but apparently you don't need your pants. Laughing

Hey, any job that doesn't require you to wear pants, and your boss is perfectly ok with you not wearing any, is a badass job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3