• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's an interesting new series for the Summer season of anime. I initially expected it to be a completely wacky and off-base parady series with flying lolis and evil robots, but so far it seems to be a believable (although not so sure about accurate) portrayal of life through the eyes of a Hikikomori named Satou. Of course it's also got the comedy thrown in there, and Satou's odd imagination had me laughing out loud quite a few times. Also, his twisting of the acronym NHK from "Nippon Housou Kyoukai" (Japan Broadcasting Network) to "Nippon Hikikomori Kyoukai" (Japan Hikikomori Church) was really amusing. Yet, all of his unusual ideas are very plausible to him, which gives me the impression that this series is comedical on the surface but reveals an aspect of Japan's society on the deeper level. Amidst the laughter, I couldn't help feeling sorry for the poor fellow, who seems to have a strong social phobia and has trapped himself in his small apartment room every day. Although, it seems to me that there really might be flying lolis and evil robots in the near future, and that this series is headed in the crazy, wacky, and comedical direction. Kind of like Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai, which had a first episode very serious in tone, but then proceeded to be a hilarious parody-type series.

Apparently, the series is based off of a novel (series?), and we know that almost all novel-to-anime adaptations are wonderful, so I'll be expecting some good things from this series. It could easily be the best show of the season (and it doesn't seem to have much competition this time around).

So, has anyone watched this great new series?

[EDIT] The manga is extraordinary, and my one concern for the anime is Gonzo, the studio with a reputation of making poor adaptations of manga (novel in this case). However, the first episode was handled very well IMO, and the director, Yusuke Yamamoto, is also the director of Keroro Gunsou (which is being handled quite well) and seems to know what he's doing. I'm not keeping my expectations too high, but this could still turn out to be really good.

If this was a KyoAni production, I'd be ready to give it a masterpiece rating already.

Last edited by frentymon on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:56 pm; edited 6 times in total
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Just saw it, seems allright so far. The manga it is based on is all kinds of fucked up and hilarious, lets hope Gonzo doesn't tone it town too much.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
it looks amusing, i'm waiting for a sub to come out. very different concept.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this series, but I didn't realize it was being done by Gonzo. I'll have to reduce my expectations significantly.
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

[EDIT] The manga is extraordinary, and my one concern for the anime is Gonzo, the studio with a reputation of making poor adaptations of manga (novel in this case). However, the first episode was handled very well IMO, and the director, Yusuke Yamamoto, is also the director of Keroro Gunsou (which is being handled quite well) and seems to know what he's doing. I'm not keeping my expectations too high, but this could still turn out to be really good.

If this was a KyoAni production, I'd be ready to give it a masterpiece rating already.

Yeah... Gonzo has messed up a lot of series that had the potential to be great....

Full Metal Panic! just seemed lost during the whole series.... To be (a comedy) or not to be.... that is the question Anime smile + sweatdrop ... KyoAni did the show right with TSR....

Black Cat, which started out great, (I was ready to give it a masterpiece rating), went to crap after ep. 6. It became just another lame series... It also found itself lost in the comedy/action dillema that FMP! went through...

Unfortunately, my japanese comprehension is somewhere along the lines of a four year old, or maybe even worse Anime cry... Guess I'll just have to wait... Sounds interesting though Wink

edited: to make it easier to read Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by Zero89 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I was looking forward to this series, but I didn't realize it was being done by Gonzo. I'll have to reduce my expectations significantly.

Hahaha - Isn't that the case lately? Gonzo used to be turbo-hyped up all over the web, but I can't remember the last show they brought out I was excited about...
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode. It seems promising. I'm curious to see if it goes for a more realistic approach with the occasional psychotic delusions or if it's going to go all out crazy.

I loved the music and the unusual art style in the opening animation. The ending sequence reminded me of Excel Saga's ending sequence.

What's with all the GONZO hate? I thought it was considered a good studio. Then again, my viewpoint could be seriously skewed since many of my friends are big Last Exile fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
What's with all the GONZO hate? I thought it was considered a good studio. Then again, my viewpoint could be seriously skewed since many of my friends are big Last Exile fans.

GONZO has a bad reputation for having eye candy, spectacular animation in the first few episodes, then deteriorates in latter episodes -- apparently spent too much money in the beginning. This can be witnessed in Speed Grapher.

Last Exile, however, was their 10th anniversary title, so much more care was taken to that project. Same for Blue Submarine No.6 (5th anniversary title) and the coming up Mardock Scramble (to be its 15th anniversay title). Note that Range Murata is in charge of original character design in all three titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Even with Last Exile, I've heard a number of people complain about a crappy ending. Gonzo tends to suck at endings, no matter how good things are going. Hellsing and Kiddy Grade are prime examples of Gonzo screwing things up.

Incidentally, I felt Speed Grapher was one of their better titles from the last few years.

*Can't wait for Mardock Scramble despite being by Gonzo as I'm a huge Range Murata fan*
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo is usually unable to properly finish what they've started. They have wonderful ideas and are able to create very promising anime, but never have the chops to properly execute the storyline. They are highly capable of creating thick and complicated plots that really have the potential to go somewhere, but they seem to not really know what to do with it, and ultimately tie all the strings together in a not-so-impressive fashion. The biggest flaw I find with their works is the pacing, which drag down the quality of the plot even more.

Now, when they have a source material to work with, things are different. Their adaptations tend to be better than their own original works (I take back my "poor manga-to-anime adaptations" comment, I was looking solely at Hellsing), but they often still suffer from the same pacing issues as their original works (and they sometimes get sidetracked and create their own garbage endings as well). Gonzo's adaptation titles seem to vary greatly when it comes to adaptations; Saikano, Chrono Crusade and Black Cat were handled pretty well, Full Metal Panic! was handled decently, while Hellsing and Gantz were handled...not quite so well.

In my opinion, a slice of life title such as NHK ni Youkoso! should be somewhat easier to handle than a title with action and a thick plot. There is no need to really "wrap things up" toward the end, and an ambiguous ending is more acceptable. Any pacing issues should also be less damaging to the overall plot than in an action title with its own worldly workings. It also happens to be based on a source material, and more often than not, Gonzo does a fair job with adaptations. As I mentioned before, the director is the same as the one from Keroro Gunsou, and Keroro-type craziness is exactly what we need in a title such as this one.

I'm not giving up on this series yet. I'm hoping that Gonzo can finish what they start this time around. If they at least handle this one like they handled Chrono Crusade, it could be one solid series.
adonais

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:

I have to wonder too. Guess I haven't been around the anime scene long enough to see any of the bad reputation. From a quick look at my Top-10-Anime list, four are Gonzo animations/productions (Last Exile, Gantz, Gankutsuou, Samurai 7). That's 4 out of 10, on my all-time faves list. Not bad for an overhyped studio that can't finish what they start, screw things up, and generally suck at endings. Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Gantz seems to be one that comes up a lot as one of the screw ups. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't really comment. Samurai Seven was alright from what I saw, but it was nothing special.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for this serries to come through. i hope it can deliver both the super crazy world that the character lives in, and also the sad part of it. ( need not to remind you , both the guy and the girl are seriously messed up)

1 question:

is the character designer for NHK, same as the one for Serial Experiments Lain ? they kinda look the same style.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the intro it didn't really catch the f**ked up ness that is the series. If I didn’t read the manga or know about the series, I would have thought it was about some guy meeting women from all the girls running around in the intro. I just hope its good the manga is pretty great.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
1 question:

is the character designer for NHK, same as the one for Serial Experiments Lain ? they kinda look the same style.

No, it ain't Abe.

Anyhow, upon viewing the first episode, I'd say this series has a lot of potential. The main premise so far is very intriguing and amusing in both it's concept and execution, and the series has an excellent, stimulating soundtrack as well. Got a good feeling about this one!

RDespair wrote:
I just watched the first episode. It seems promising. I'm curious to see if it goes for a more realistic approach with the occasional psychotic delusions or if it's going to go all out crazy.

I'd really rather it didn't go all-out crazy. But I don't know, I haven't read the manga, so I'm not sure what direction the source material takes. Er, wait-
frentymon wrote:
the studio with a reputation of making poor adaptations of manga (novel in this case)
So there's a novel, as well?
Well, I see that the manga's being released by Tokyopop, so even if Gonzo botches the series (not saying they will, but it's possible), I'll have the manga to blow money on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10