• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Karin

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy this show, first saw it at the local Con, watched about half of it so far, and I'm debating whether or not to pick up the manga (known as Chibi Vampire here in the states). A really great spin on the tired old genre of vampires... some ecchi-romance but nothing too too bad.

What do you guys think? I also think this anime is likely to see a u.s. release sometime maybe this year or next.
kid_gloves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
i quite liked the anime. It was pretty much a by the numbers romantic comedy but it avoided alot of the annoying things that come along with the genre. There was very little high drama and it mostly focused on the comedy which was helped by the somewhat unique take on vampires in modern japan. I still cant figure out why there is so much fan service in the OP animation when the series itself is relatively moderate on fanservice especially for the romantic comedy genre.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
kid_gloves wrote:
I still can't figure out why there is so much fan service in the OP animation when the series itself is relatively moderate on fanservice especially for the romantic comedy genre.

Yea, that sorta threw me off too. While the show stays moderate or tame for the most part on fanservice, that OP made my not-that-into-anime friend say "what the hell is the point of naked cartoon characters?" It does seem out of place.

I'm guessing the fantasy-esque scenes of naked teenagers standing together is straight out of what the mangaka originally drew, so they are pretty harmless... if only implying some sexuallity.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The manga (at least the first volume, anyway, which is all that's out in the States so far) is heavier on the comedy than the anime is. IIRC, Vol. 1 roughly equates to the first 3 anime episodes.

I liked the series a lot, except for a couple of the character designs. (Karin is too busty, Kenta Usui is a visual clone of Seiji from Midori Days.) It does turn more serious in its later stages but never gets too heavy on the drama.

Also see this thread from last month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Heh I figured there was a previous topic but I believe I saw one of the mods write one time "old topics are dead for a reason, start new ones." I'm working on my netiquette* really!

Hmmm, how WOULD an english dub of this show go over? Voice acting/voices are so dead on in Japanese'ese it'd be hard to surpass...

*who knows what anime/manga this is from? Anime smile
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This series wasn't...bad. I'm a bit of a purist myself and so the spin on the vampires was an annoyance rather than a good feature. I also quite liked some of the lighing effects, for example lightning flashes casting shadows of things inside buildings in the wrong direction and light in a room despite closed curtains and no lights being on...

it was light and fluffy and watchable but not something I'd recommend to people who arent fans of the genre. Plus Winner was quite possibly the most annoying person I've ever seen in an anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Key wrote:

Heh I figured there was a previous topic but I believe I saw one of the mods write one time "old topics are dead for a reason, start new ones." I'm working on my netiquette* really!
Ehh, that topic isn't that old; if I were a mod, I would have let it go. They usually bring out the padlock for necroposting on threads older than about 3-4 months, depending on the overall quality of the latest replies and the thread itself.
hentai4me wrote:
Plus Winner was quite possibly the most annoying person I've ever seen in an anime.
Ah, I fear we disagree; I'm pretty sure I said this on the previous thread, but imo Winner was the most awesome "crazy foreign transfer student" since Hio Mio from D.N. Angel. I think anything else I've said about Karin is on the other thread...in general, it's the vampire anime for people who don't like vampire anime Very Happy
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I usually stay away from Romantic Comedy fare but this one looked more interesting with it's little vampire gimmick and I must say that the more I see, the more interested I become. I like how they handled the characters,ie. not carbon copies of every other rom-com series. The pretty boy brother, the gothic lolita sister, the crazy parents, and event he students at Karins school all seem pretty well done to me. If the manga does have more comedic satire than the anime, then I might consider grabbing some volumes.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
I also think this anime is likely to see a u.s. release sometime maybe this year or next.

I won't be surprised if there is a R1 licensing announcement for Karin sometime within the next three months, either at AX or at the latest Otakon. I watched the first five episodes at Harucon back in April and absolutely loved it. The manga (called Chibi Vampire in the Western market) is right now my favorite book, although the four-month waiting period TokyoPOP scheduled for the volumes really sucks (no pun intended).
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
bennyb wrote:
I also think this anime is likely to see a u.s. release sometime maybe this year or next.

I won't be surprised if there is a R1 licensing announcement for Karin sometime within the next three months, either at AX or at the latest Otakon. I watched the first five episodes at Harucon back in April and absolutely loved it. The manga (called Chibi Vampire in the Western market) is right now my favorite book, although the four-month waiting period TokyoPOP scheduled for the volumes really sucks (no pun intended).

Yea, that waiting period is lame. Is that how T-POP handles alot of their stuff? Everything I've bought is pretty much Viz, so I dunno what their release schedule is like.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Yea, that waiting period is lame. Is that how T-POP handles alot of their stuff? Everything I've bought is pretty much Viz, so I dunno what their release schedule is like.

The only other T-POP books I read are DearS and Girls Bravo, and they have a three-month release schedule. I think that what's is like for the majority of their books. Most of the manga I have are either by VIZ or ADV.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, after watching quite a few school romance shows (more specifically all of Ranma), I basically got sick of the genre when I realized I can predict almost a quarter of the lines to the word. But then again, I've got a thing for girl vampires, what can I say?

At first this didn't seem like the stereotypical school love story, but it more or less lapses into just that after only a few episodes. Fortunately, it has enough in the vampire parts to keep it from becoming boring. The brother is easily the best character imo Rolling Eyes

I must say, the last episode redeemed a LOT of this show for me. Probably bumping up the show from a 5 to a 7. When spoiler[ her family died I went: "Jesus! I can't believe they had the balls to do that! That's awesome!" Then she went psycho and that one minute where she was flying around had me really pumped, I never thought I'd get that excited over this show. Then her family got up and I almost cried as the writers wimped out and hit the reset button Anime cry ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I must say, the last episode redeemed a LOT of this show for me. Probably bumping up the show from a 5 to a 7. When spoiler[ her family died I went: "Jesus! I can't believe they had the balls to do that! That's awesome!" Then she went psycho and that one minute where she was flying around had me really pumped, I never thought I'd get that excited over this show. Then her family got up and I almost cried as the writers wimped out and hit the reset button Anime cry ]

Yeah, spoiler[I was also kinda hoping that they might let the family stay dead, because I wanted to see where the series would go with that, but I wasn't surprised when they came back. While a bit on the serious side, Karin was never that dark. I did think what they did to Winner's grandfather was neat, though, and found the whole ceremony turning out to be one for vampire breast enlargement instead to be quite funny. Those two factors made up for the expected cop-out for me.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
linainverse545

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
I have seen all of the anime of 'Karin', it is a fairly cute anime with it's small ecchi moments. But over all it is a cute romantic comdey. I think bring it to america would be good. It might gain some popularity.

[EDIT: Please do not use small font on your entire post, that only makes it more difficult to read. Thanks. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lion-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
karin rocks i loved the anime which jump started me to start collection the manga JUST to see if it was any different
Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1