• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
#1708 (Ningyo Hime Marina no Bouken)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I just wanted to mention that this title was not of Japanese origin; it was a Korean/Italian production, though there was a Japanese dub of it. Since I don't see any Japanese dubs of other foreign animation listed, I would assume this was unintentionally added. Also, it isn't bolded - I believe there may still be a North American license of the series (or at least, it aired in the UK in English a couple of years ago). Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Not that I disbelieve you (or that I have any influence in the matter—I'm not a member of the Encyclopedia staff, after all), but it would help if you could provide some proof of your assertion. This would make the job the Encyclopedia staff member who tries to fix this much easier. ^_^
Alcy

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...still trying to find where I found that it was Italian/Korean in origin (this series is very obscure), but for proof of English license (which was pretty recent but may or may not be expired), search eBay for "adventures of the little mermaid". There should be some PAL DVDs by Fox Kids of it under this title.

It was also previously licensed in 1992 when it ran in the United States as "Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid", I don't know if that ever expired (there were some shifts within Saban over the years from what I understand, but all licenses were transferred to the new company? I don't remember much about that).

Oh, found a page that says it's of Korean/Italian origin: http://poll.imdb.com/title/tt0213329/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This incomplete list of staff credits has credited Jean Chalopin and Masaki (sp?) Matsumoto as screenwriters, as well as many different Japanese and Koreans as episode and animation directors. All storyboard credits go to Japanese names, however.

Jean Chalopin was the founder of DiC Entertainment and a famous French producer / writer. No sign has shown that Italians were involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alcy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
Interesting...maybe whoever wrote the IMDB entry saw the Italian dub and assumed that was the original?

At any rate, the title should probably be bolded, unless there's proof around that the English license has been lost in the past couple of years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1