• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Karin - The Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
The last episode just recently became available via fansubs, so I'd be curious to know if anyone else around here is watching/has watched this one and what they think of it.

I'm not a big person for fansubs, so it's very rare for me to watch a whole series that way; this is only the third time I've done it, I think. I got interested in the series after reading the first volume of Chibi Vampire (the English release name for the manga version of Karin) and the odd premise - a reverse-vampire in a more dramatic-leaning love story - intrigued me enough that I watched it out.

I'm not at all impressed by the artistry, especially the backgrounds. Karin herself is just too busty for her body type to look fully appealing; her friend Maki (who isn't drawn so busty) is by far the more attractive of the two. Kenta Usui also looks too much like Seiji from Midori Days; put them side-by-side, they're nearly identical. Anju is just darling with that LoliGoth look, though. A C+ grade overall here, and it's only that high because of Anju.

Overall the writing had a familiar feel; take out the vampire stuff and this is pretty typical high school romance fare. A bit more serious on the balance than I would have expected given the manga, though. Yeah, Winner-kun (and especially how he gets along with Maki) makes for good comic relief, and there was enough other decent humor (the whole "scary eyes" thing with Kenta was always good for a laugh), but it felt like it was taking itself more seriously than romantic comedies usually do. The whole "caught between two worlds" thing worked for me, as did the use of Anju and Ren, although how fragile Karin seems given what she is annoyed me. And it does end pretty well. Give it a B for writing overall.

I do hope this one gets picked up, because I'd be very interested to see how an English dub handles the distinctive vocal style for Winner and Bge (Anju's meat cleaver-wielding plushie). I'd think it would have a reasonable chance, since romantic comedies with a dramatic side and vampire stories generally do well in the States and there's nothing that's specifically Japanese about the series.

Other thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I admit that I haven't seen much of this series (2 eps), but I can already say that it is not in my tastes. The puppet thing and the rest of Karin's family (with the exception of Anju) remind me of something from some old cartoon (Addams Family or Scooby Doo, maybe?). The character designs really didn't appeal to me either; Karin has a really strange hairstyle, and as you said, Usui really is a replica of Sawamura Seiji from Midori no Hibi (except Sawamura was a whole lot more interesting). Maki and Karin's other friends are ordinary anime schoolgirls, nothing too much to say about them. I didn't really like the idea of "reverse vampire" either, and the idea of a nosebleeding female lead is kind of...repulsive. I don't know how it would fare in the States; the setting as a whole is un-Japanese enough, but seeing as this is quite different from other animes brought to the U.S., it might be different from what the viewers are used to. Except I think that if anything, Karin would probably appeal to those relatively unfamiliar with anime. I can just imagine the puppet with an Ernie/Bert voice though...

I probably haven't watched enough to properly judge this anime, but as a whole, it just doesn't quite appeal to me.
Captain_Ichigo1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I just recently seen episode 16. I enjoyed it and this is one of the few fansubs I watch. I do believe it will get picked up. I think ADV may because when watching this it seems a little like Pretear. I am not real good with grading it like you have but I do agree with you.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first two episodes; and really loved what I saw. A great twist on a tired-old genre. I hope it gets picked up soon.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I have seen 5 eps so far (the group I am watching has not finished yet) and I am waiting to finish it. So far I like Karin ,even though the production values are kind of low. The concept is original enough though, and the writing can be funny at times. I would recomend it to people that like romance comedy as I do. Also there is at least so far, some mystery to it as well ,win win imo .
I hope it gets picked up as well because I would buy this if it were Smile
greatdevourer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I just finished ep 24 as well, and I'd recommend it for everyone (got someone started on Anime with it Smile)
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I have finished up to episode 8. I have been getting into high school anime lately and I find the reverse vampire concept rather unique.

I don't see any lacking in the quality of animation compaired to the 200+ other anime I've seen; it's about average.

I haven't seen Midori no Hibi, but I don't mind recycled chara design; you can only go so far with the guy chara anyway without making the chara too eccentric.

As for Karin, I didn't find her to be any less endearing for the hair style; for the eccentric chara of the show she is meant to stand out I suppose...

I really have been enjoying the show so far. I can't see why you can say (or would want) that this show is 'un-Japanese'; besides the Maaka family and their house, i don't see anything but Japanese culture (well there is Winner...). The romance is fully Japanese, down to the offset kiss in the OP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so what's the third series you watched on fansubs, aside from this one and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World? (Just curious)

I just finished the last episode of Karin last night as well; fellow forumite Past successfully pitched the series to our local anime club, and that's how I got interested. Overall, Karin is a series that's right up my alley, so to speak--it's cute, funny, romantic...it's not too heavy on the dramatics, so it doesn't qualify as a tearjerker, but it's not like every anime has to be that way. I didn't mind the seriousness so much; the flashbacks in episodes 14-15 were well done, and the whole vampire/human divide makes things a bit more serious than the average romantic comedy.
I normally don't like vampire anime, so I really liked the cuter/softer/gentler angle on the vampires in Karin; lots of comedy involves the vampire conventions, like the stuff about garlic and stakes ("Vampires just have a strong sense of smell" / "Anyone would die if you drove a stake through their heart"). Pretty much everyone in her family has their amusing moments, particularly Ren in episode 18 where the anime, which is male-oriented romance through and through spoiler[switches to Shounen-ai mode and almost felt like an Utena episode] --luckily, the fansub group I was watching had a quick note to explain Karin's "item" Shocked Embarassed
However, I do agree that the background details were lacking, and the character designs were a bit off--I found Karin cute/appealing because of her voice and actions, but the breast size really was excessive. (And did anyone else notice how they magically got bigger for the swimsuit episode (#8 or 9 or so)?) In fact, in the last episode,spoiler[although she looked good in that dress, the huge tracts of land made it hard for me to take some of the dramatic scenes seriously, which is bad.]
Key wrote:
Kenta Usui also looks too much like Seiji from Midori Days; put them side-by-side, they're nearly identical.
I think I also made the Sawamura Seiji / Usui Kenta comparison, but don't take my word for it:

(I don't think I need to say which is which here...)
But despite these problems, I really enjoyed Karin, including some of the side characters. There's Anju's adorable Gothic-Lolita look, as mentioned, and Winner Sinclair = the best "crazy foreign transfer student" since Hio Mio from D.N. Angel. And let's not forget about Usui's mom (who is confident about her body, let me mention) in the realm of attractive characters without gigantic breasts Anime smile (we need a heart-eyes emoticon here)
I think ADV could do a good job with this one, and I'd definitely buy the DVDs, on two conditions: 1) they keep it to 6 discs (2) they pronounce Karin's name correctly in the dub. (See episodes 3 & 4 of Diamond Daydreams, where a character named Karin gets an Anglicized "Karen" pronunciation in the dub.)

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat May 13, 2006 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The anime and manga diverted into two serprate storylines at around what I think is the end of episode 17.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Karin up until episode 23, haven't gotten a chance to download 24 yet. I liked the first half, with all of the fun and random things that goes on, but the second half which is more romance and drama involved didn't appeal to me as much. Overall, I'd say that it's just another anime series about high school kids and their romances, with a touch of the supernatural. However, it is quite a bit of fun to watch, and should be recommended. As for it getting picked up by American companies, it doesn't seem to be something fitting for cable tv, but should do fairly well on dvd shelves.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I think ADV could do a good job with this one, and I'd definitely buy the DVDs, on two conditions: 1) they keep it to 6 discs (2) they pronounce Karin's name correctly in the dub. (See episodes 3 & 4 of Diamond Daydreams, where a character named Karin gets an Anglicized "Karen" pronunciation in the dub.)

Ha! I'm probably one of the only true ADVocates on this forum; I'd like to see ADV do this as well. I suppose I'm biased by the fact that about 90% of the anime I started purchasing was dubbed by them...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Ha! I'm probably one of the only true ADVocates on this forum; I'd like to see ADV do this as well. I suppose I'm biased by the fact that about 90% of the anime I started purchasing was dubbed by them...

Make that two. Karin is definitely an ADV-caliber title, althought it could be possible that Geneon might obtain the license. Still, it's highly likely that we'll see an R1 license for this charming series very soon, possibly at AX and at the latest Otakon.

FTR, if ADV does get the R1 Karin license, I would love to have either Jessica Boone or Luci Christian get the roll of the titular character. I think either one would make a good Karin Maaka. Cool
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hmm, so what's the third series you watched on fansubs, aside from this one and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World? (Just curious)

Scrapped Princess. Saw the first six or seven episodes at a 'con and diligently collected the rest as they came out. It was my first true foray into online fansubs. I later bought the DVDs, of course.

And I should correct myself. I did see all of the live-action Sailor Moon series on fansubs, too, so I guess that makes four. That one's unlikely to ever be available in the States, though.

But back on the original subject, one of the best jokes in the whole series actually comes near the very end, when spoiler[the true nature of the ritual Karin was undergoing to supposedly make her a true vampire was revealed]. That and spoiler[Kenta freaking kids out with his "scary eyes" in the haunted house] were the two funniest moments for me.

I agree with your comment about the last episode, Zalis116. I had the same reaction. That's why I always thought Maki and Kenta's mom were hotter.

Best episode? The one that focused on Anju's "awakening."

And I agree with the person who suggested that Luci Christian would make a good fit for the title role. The bigger question, though, is whether or not ADV (or anyone else who picks it up) would retain the original title. I doubt it, since it isn't very descriptive or marketable and given that the manga title was changed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
I should have said some things in advance--I actually don't hate ADV; some small things they do may annoy me, but I'd actually like them to get Karin as well. I'd probably cave and buy 7 discs, though I do hold out hope that they'll say her name right. I could live with a title change--they might go the TokyoPop route, but I think something like "Chibi Vampire Karin" would be fitting enough while still preserving the original. After all, that would fit with the pattern used in many other titles of [adjective] [noun] [proper noun/title], for example Steel Angel Kurumi, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, A Little Snow Fairy: Sugar, Serial Experiments: Lain, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
-gecko- wrote:
I should have said some things in advance--I actually don't hate ADV; some small things they do may annoy me, but I'd actually like them to get Karin as well. I'd probably cave and buy 7 discs, though I do hold out hope that they'll say her name right. I could live with a title change--they might go the TokyoPop route, but I think something like "Chibi Vampire Karin" would be fitting enough while still preserving the original. After all, that would fit with the pattern used in many other titles of [adjective] [noun] [proper noun/title], for example Steel Angel Kurumi, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, A Little Snow Fairy: Sugar, Serial Experiments: Lain, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

I hadn't considered your comment as adverse at all and I wholeheartedly agree! A blurb for the manga in Anime Insider is what first drew my attention to this series.

I have a couple of confessions: 1) I have a mild but more than normal fascination with vampires, especially ones that don't fit the paradigm, and 2) I get teary eyed at the ending theme (when the slice of cake is offered); does anyone else like the song for the ending?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3