• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
This series is definitely a masterpiece.

This series started and ended in an excellent way.
The ending summed everything up very well, humorous and left me even more addicted to haruhi-ism.

There better be another season!!! Very Happy

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
I've been here a year and I've never taken the time to rate an anime before, until today. This is a Masterpiece. It's in my top ten.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Actually fallen, the highest I saw it at was 9.09, only 0.4 behind Samurai X at the time.

Funny, the highest I've seen it is when it was a mere .01 away from Samurai X. It then proceeded to drop to its current position, which made me rather sad. Razz

Anyways, I just finished watching episode 14. And I gotta say, I'm rather glad that the chronological Ep. 14 wasn't Ep. 14 by airdate. This ep was MUCH more satisfying to watch than if it aired in order. The last ep by airdate also felt more like the last ep than the REAL last ep ever could. The Kyon/Mikuru moments in the last ep were pretty funny too, especially the last scene between them.

It was a wild ride, but I enjoyed every second of watching this series. It definitely earns a rating of "masterpiece" from me, and upon release, I might actually buy the DVD's individually instead of waiting for the complete set, which I never do. =\

That Kanon remake better be worth ending Haruhi early.
Twisted Evil

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who was a bit disappointed by the last episode? Certainly not bad by any means, but I was expecting something a bit more... grand? After all that talk of espers and aliens and time travellers, in the end all it amounted to was spoiler[a regular boy-meets-girl story]. Although to be honest I'm not sure what else I was expecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Am I the only one who was a bit disappointed by the last episode? Not bad by any means, but I was expecting something a bit more grand. After all that talk of espers and aliens and time travellers, in the end all it amounted to was spoiler[a regular boy-meets-girl story]. Although to be honest I'm not sure what else I was expecting.

I wasn't disappointed per se, but I also didn't feel it was the end-all be-all of endings either. Wrapped things up pretty nicely without actually slapping on a pretty pink bow (thank goodness), and had some good usage of the characters, defining certain personality points, etc.
W3b3r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Absolutely loved it from beginning to end. At the moment it's my favourite series and I'm definitly picking this up when it comes on DVD. It's got to right? I hope they dont stuff up the translations and have dodgy grammar like other series...
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
One thing that kinda bugged me...Yuki not using the mouse right...

Explained here...spoiler[she was flirting in her own Yuki-sort of way Anime smile

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9208/up1194505ff.jpg]
[/spoiler]
animonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
LOVED the ending. Smile so cute. "I'm going to talk to her about time travelers, aliens, and espers." Awesome. Cheered when they kissed.

Better be a 2nd season...
lockeout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Excellent ending. Kyon's quite a character: spoiler[The world is ending and he still tries to avoid confronting his true feelings about Haruhi. And I like how he went from being embarrassed over Mikuru's outfits to helping Haruhi plan what she wears.]
One thing I noticed, though, that was never explained: spoiler[The talking cat from ep. 0.] What was that about, anyway?
animonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
AH HA! TALKING CAT! That means that there will be a 2nd season!!!! To explain the cat! Okay maybe not... but... I dunno... maybe Haruhi wanted to meet a Time Traveler, a Esper, an Alien and a... talking animal?

Anyway, anyone have the piano sheet music to the song that played at the end? Not literally the VERY end, which was just HAruhi's face, I mean when Kyon is talking about what happened afterwards and eating at the Cafe with Haruhi. It plays pretty often througout the series. :)love that song:)
DJ Crunchberry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an excellent end to an excellent series! I was expecting a bit more, but I was still extremely satisfied with how this series ended. I can't wait until it's licensed.
Now I gotta go read the novels.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Giddy. That's the main feeling I get from the last episode, but then again I get that feeling from every episode Rolling Eyes

It wasn't... spoiler[as dramatic as I'd hoped in the action, but everything else I could have hoped for was there. I also especially loved Nagato's conversation Very Happy and nice point fallen embers! "I'm betting on you" "I also individually would like you to return" "another visit to the library would..." feel good moment of the episode for me Smile ]

Actually, I'd forgotten about the cat until just before I watched this episode. I was actually pretty disappointed that they didn't explain him. Well, hip hip hooray to the idea of a second season! Very Happy

EDIT: God I love my avatar! Twisted Evil Sometimes those images just stay with you, how often do you get to watch an alien school girl black mage wailing away on the guitar?! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Now I understand why Haruhi decides not to put Mikuru's hair in a ponytail in episode 4/7. Wink Has anyone watched all the episodes chronologically yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was indeed satisfying, but the whole thing was (and I have rated it so) no more than decent. I don't particularly like spoiler[the Kyon-Haruhi pair-up. I would much have preferred Kyon-Asahina (and Haruhi-Yuki with the self-righteous Koizumi dying alone in misery). ]

I still don't like the Haruhi-as-god premise. I think now, though, I know why I don't like it. Haruhi, in makeup, is no different from the emo girls who draw unicorns on their binders. The one thing she has going for her is that she's willing to follow her dreams at the cost of "normal" relationships and general respect. However, such a person should be the receiver of the god-benefits, not the vehicle through which they flow. Conversely, the stoic Kyon who does want that normal respect, deserves to be bereft of it without knowledge.

The last line is somewhat cryptic, but here's what I'd like it to mean: spoiler[that Kyon does tell Haruhi the others' identities, and the rest of the series--the ball game, the movie, etc.--is Kyon and Haruhi "playing" the others. ]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Now wasn't Episode 9 supposed to be the chronological final episode? Haruhi announced it as "Episode 14" in the preview, IIRC. This last episode seems to be too conclusive to be an an episode in the middle.

And will this long, 35-page thread slowly fade into obscurity...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 213