• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinstrike

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This weeks episode was sort of quiet but I liked that though.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
You know it's funny. I forgot that this was episode "14" (didn't know until I started reading everyone's posts), and I was thinking "This would probably make for a nice ending to the series." Go figure. We only have 4 episodes left right? And unless I'm missing something (haven't kept much track of the "real" episode order), the later eps. will actually occur earlier in the series. If that's the case then it seems like the series won't be going where people thought it would be. I know that my friend and I thought that it was going to be revealed that at least in this world Haruhi is essentially god but she doesn't know, and that we'd delve more into Nagato, Asahina, and Koizumi in terms of at least why each of their stories about Haruhi differ. Then again going that far into it may just not be fitting for the series (it's not like they're completely shrouded in mystery) which makes sense. But then again it is possible that in these last 4 eps. those will somehow be addressed. After all I don't believe Kyon has gone to "that place" yet (episode 4). We'll just have to see. I get the feeling that next week's ep. may lean on a more emotional side.

As far as the scene with Nagato reading, as people have said, when you say what the scene consists of it sounds boring. Yet somehow it was quite interesting. I guess maybe it's the expectation of something to happen yet nothing does. Even then I get the feeling that even knowing that nothing will occur, the scene will still remain interesting. Actually I think a lot of the scenes in this episode were trying to show how things were without Haruhi. Or probably one a broader scale, how things were before the SOS Brigade came about. It makes you think about the people in your life, and if you just pick one person and take them out, how different would your life be? Anyway I believe the episode did an excellent job displaying how the various characters have impacted eachother, which I think was the point.

As far as the student film, earlier I believe my theory was that the film was actually going to show how Haruhi changed the world with her power. But after this episode, I have some new thoughts on it. One is that it could be Haruhi's clairvoyance what will happen in time. Another could be that she decided to place the various members of the SOS Brigade in their respective roles because as Koizumi said Haruhi unconciously willed such people to be drawn to her, and so on that same note she unconciously placed them in roles that were fitting Also maybe, especially because Koizumi wishes to constantly please Haruhi either he or all of them suggested which roles they should take on. The film would be their way of saying that even though she doesn't know it she really has come into contact and has met the sort of people she had wished to meet.

Also as a fun side note, does anyone else find it amusing that Haruhi seems to be really good at removing Mikuru's clothes and then redressing her in a rather timely fashion? I know it's just anime, but I still find it funny.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
You know it's funny. I forgot that this was episode "14" (didn't know until I started reading everyone's posts), and I was thinking "This would probably make for a nice ending to the series." Go figure. We only have 4 episodes left right?

No one has posted any official sources for the supposed 14 episode count, so its validity is questionable at best.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
You know it's funny. I forgot that this was episode "14" (didn't know until I started reading everyone's posts), and I was thinking "This would probably make for a nice ending to the series." Go figure. We only have 4 episodes left right?

No one has posted any official sources for the supposed 14 episode count, so its validity is questionable at best.

The 14 episode count will hold true (and very shocking and disappointing) until all those inner episodes that were missed are filled in and all the episodes are accounted for. Because for a series as pointless (and good) as this one, 14 episodes, and that ending, would be a painful way to end off. But I assume that 14 would be the last episode because all those series' that seem like they would be successful always throw a crap ending and lose all the potential they had. This could be one of those serieses.

edit: http://anime.miao.us/archives/2006/05/30/762/#more-762

eh? He seems pretty confident as a blogger that 14 was the final episode. Ouch. I don't like the look of this.

edit 2: still not official, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

says 14 episodes in the section on the TV show in the right border column.

edit3: anidb also lists it as 14.

Last edited by Bl00dHoUnD on Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
You know it's funny. I forgot that this was episode "14" (didn't know until I started reading everyone's posts), and I was thinking "This would probably make for a nice ending to the series." Go figure. We only have 4 episodes left right? And unless I'm missing something (haven't kept much track of the "real" episode order), the later eps. will actually occur earlier in the series. If that's the case then it seems like the series won't be going where people thought it would be. I know that my friend and I thought that it was going to be revealed that at least in this world Haruhi is essentially god but she doesn't know, and that we'd delve more into Nagato, Asahina, and Koizumi in terms of at least why each of their stories about Haruhi differ. Then again going that far into it may just not be fitting for the series (it's not like they're completely shrouded in mystery) which makes sense. But then again it is possible that in these last 4 eps. those will somehow be addressed. After all I don't believe Kyon has gone to "that place" yet (episode 4). We'll just have to see.

I'm not saying this about you specifically, rather about most of us on here, but we keep speaking of the ending of the anime series as if we've forgotten that there is still much more source material left from the novels.
Quote:
As far as the student film, earlier I believe my theory was that the film was actually going to show how Haruhi changed the world with her power. But after this episode, I have some new thoughts on it. One is that it could be Haruhi's clairvoyance what will happen in time. Another could be that she decided to place the various members of the SOS Brigade in their respective roles because as Koizumi said Haruhi unconciously willed such people to be drawn to her, and so on that same note she unconciously placed them in roles that were fitting Also maybe, especially because Koizumi wishes to constantly please Haruhi either he or all of them suggested which roles they should take on. The film would be their way of saying that even though she doesn't know it she really has come into contact and has met the sort of people she had wished to meet.

I'd agree with you on this. I also think the series' producers aired the student's film as the first episode for that reason: so that we would quickly develop preconcieved notions regarding the series to follow and the significance of the student's film, yet when ruminated upon in hindsight, the student's film takes on a different sort of significance.

Oh, I'd also like to take this moment to say I am indeed very pleased that the series has certainly not decreased in either quality or creative scope as it's progressed.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
one3rd wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

The 14 episode count will hold true (and very shocking and disappointing) until all those inner episodes that were missed are filled in and all the episodes are accounted for. Because for a series as pointless (and good) as this one, 14 episodes, and that ending, would be a painful way to end off. But I assume that 14 would be the last episode because all those series' that seem like they would be successful always throw a crap ending and lose all the potential they had. This could be one of those serieses.

edit: http://anime.miao.us/archives/2006/05/30/762/#more-762

eh? He seems pretty confident as a blogger that 14 was the final episode. Ouch. I don't like the look of this.

edit 2: still not official, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

says 14 episodes in the section on the TV show in the right border column.

As I stated before, Wikipedia is a user-edited resource and not a primary source of information. I haven't seen anything verified by a primary source so far.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
There was a math error here. Look down to the many quoted posts for the original post.

Last edited by Bl00dHoUnD on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Consider this...

During Episode 9[14], near the end of the three minutes of watching Yuki read and listening to the radio, we hear the two voices of the radio drama talking back and forth about the season. This is what they say (from 14:29 to 14:35, text from the fansub):

Man: It's almost Christmas, yeah?
Woman: I'm hungry for some hot pot [nabe].
Man: Yes. Winter is all about the hot pot!
Woman: What do you put in your hot pot? ... etc.

In this dialogue nabe and Christmas are interlinked, and are both in the future. Also, in the novels, there is a storyline around Christmas with the members of SOS Dan enjoying a nabe meal.

So what's remarkable about that? Fast forward to the ED, to 22:44. There it is, all the SOS girls and Tsuruya-san eating nabe and Kyon dressed up as a rather miserable-looking deer. Because of the nabe (and the deer) this is presumed to be part of the Christmas storyline... that happens after the events of Episode 9[14]... and hasn't been shown yet. So either KyoAni has stuff in the ED that doesn't happen until after the series ends, or the series order is even more fundamentally screwed up than we already know (Haruhi's episode order isn't chronological, even though it's worked that way so far), or this series is longer than 14 episodes.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
While I was quite sure that the show would end at 14... that is really interesting sphinx. The only problem I see with that is that the writers of this show are extremely extremely good. They work in many many references to the future that there is no way to forsee. They also work in a bunch of mundane stuff, just enough to throw you off enough that you stop being sure of what you think is going to happen.

I still think this show will end at episode 14, but I am beginning to get the feeling they will pick the show back up, or finish it in OVAs when more of the source material is released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
I did some looking around about the characters in the card game that Kyon and Itsuki play at the beginning of episode 9 and added the information to the trivia section. Here is what I entered:

Quote:
The card game that Kyon and Itsuki play in the beginning of Episode 9 includes cards depicting Gourry, Lina Inverse, and Nagi the Serpent from Slayers and Feris Eris from Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu. The Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Slayers, and Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu novels are all published by Kadokawa.

I can read katakana, so I identified Gourry, Lina, and Naga right away. It took some serious searching to find out just where Feris Eris came from. It's worth noting that the Full Metal Panic! novels are also published by Kadokawa, given that references were made to the TV series in a previous episode, but it doesn't relate very directly to this bit of trivia, so I didn't include the information. If anyone can read the kanji for the other card and find out where she's from, I wouldn't mind if you appended my entry. I would assume that she's from another Kadokawa novel if that helps at all.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Episode 9/14 was the show I fell in love with. I found the whole thing to be brilliantly executed, from the costuming changing scene to the reading scene (was the dialogue from a club in another room? The last bit of dialogue seemed a bit fuzzy sounding, and there was a radio sitting to the corner of the screen, but I don't know if there's any connection between the two). I think I like Haruhi more subdued and quiet like this. It's easily one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite so far.

I completely agree with this. So far, this episode and the first are my favorite. It's a special kind of subdued, soft, and sarcastic humor that I've only seen Haruhi pull off. Genius. If the series does go past 14, I'm really hoping they'll dedicate another episode of amateur filming to that "sequel" that was being planned.
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Yeah. Personally, I believe (you know, just out of belief itself), that the show will have 27 episodes. and the number 15,698 adds up to 27.

hmm.. forgive me if I have totally misinterpreted what you have said, but.... does
1 + 5 + 6 + 9 + 8 really add up to 27????
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
lol, you can hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath Wink While it COULD pull it off, this doesn't seem like the type of show to repeat plots and nor does Haruhi seem like the type to be entertained doing the same thing again. Laughing

EDIT: It only adds up to 27 when you really really want to believe it does. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Yeah. Personally, I believe (you know, just out of belief itself), that the show will have 27 episodes. and the number 15,698 adds up to 27.

hmm.. forgive me if I have totally misinterpreted what you have said, but.... does

It's new math.

- abunai
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Zero89 wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:

It's new math.

- abunai

Now thats just absurd...if you dont get the right answer then you've failed in the maths department...using the right method but getting the wrong answer is impossible...you must have made a mistake in one of your methods(be it adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, integrating, differentiating, etc)

I dont accept faulty maths from an employee...would you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 213