• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:
p.s. I think I'm contractually required to reply: "Naturally, anatomically unnatural narratives navigate narrow analogies". Or something of the sort.

I can only observe, in turn, that you speak the jargon like a native.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy to be able to rub keyboards with people who can use two or three $5 words in one sentence without skipping a beat!

I have to agree with those that are enjoying this show for the shear comedy alone. I am one of those as well.

I must admit that coming here to see what everyone else thinks tends to enhance the enjoyment for me.

For some of the physics and dynamics mentioned here I'll probably have to rewatch many episodes until my eyes bleed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
retty

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the series so far, although, like other people i was disapointed when the sci-fi became real. I think it was more fun when it seemed to just be their over-active imaginations.

It is a very fun show though. The structure is interesting, i can't decide whether or not i like having episode 4 (7) where it was, as it spoiler[proved Yuki is indeed an alien before we had much chance to decide for ourselves if she was genuine or not.] Although i should have guessed that the series would have some magical element after the spoiler[talking cat] in episode one..'ventriloquism' Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Man, episode 7 has several moments and a lot more of Kyon's hilariously sarcastic remarks. spoiler[We do get to see Itsuki and Yuki in action when they're battling against a giant cricket (which I believe it's the data entity) in a dimensional desert. The fact that the SOS emblem on the website being ridiculiosuly huge in filesize is rather amusing. Funny how that thing is the cause of the data entity's awakening.]

Quite of bit of Kyon x Mikuru moments. And not to mention the website's counter has skyrocketed. Laughing

I wonder how many people are going to go all moe on Yuki after seeing this? Rolling Eyes
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was simply amused by the Full Metal Panic! references in episode 7 (that's what those were during spoiler[ the battle with the cave cricket, right? Fumoffu and Second Raid?]).

I'm also thankful that this wasn't as hilarious of an episode as some others have been. Just had my wisdom teeth out. Smiling and laughing is very painful. :p
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I was simply amused by the Full Metal Panic! references in episode 7 (that's what those were during spoiler[ the battle with the cave cricket, right? Fumoffu and Second Raid?]).

Indeed! And I believe spoiler[another reference was made when a Lambda drive effect was used when Yuki was blocking an attack.]
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
xuebaochai wrote:
p.s. I think I'm contractually required to reply: "Naturally, anatomically unnatural narratives navigate narrow analogies". Or something of the sort.

- abunai

After this last episode, I can no longer consider it mere coincidence that Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has been discussed in this thread.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hm, haven't watched episodes 6 or 7 yet. Seems like I'm missing out on a lot. Oh well, thanks to my procrastination, I get to watch 47:20 minutes of Haruhi now instead of only 23:40. If I wait 6 days and about 17 hours, I'll get to watch 61:00 whole minutes! Talk about bliss.

Being observant of quantative aspects will grant me qualitativity in the perilous journey of the viewing experience and exposure of "Haruhism."

Okay, in my pathetic attempt to sound smart, I don't even know what I'm talking about.
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
abunai wrote:
xuebaochai wrote:

- abunai

After this last episode, I can no longer consider it mere coincidence that Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has been discussed in this thread.

It was kinda funny, after all that talk of Cthulhu, we get a spoiler[Dead God (kinda). ] I love this show.

Hahah! So Tanabata is the crux. I'd noticed the "About Tanabata" thing in the ED and wondered if that meant the climax was going to be then. Younger Haruhi having a Wishing on a Star moment, perchance? It would fit the OP (book readers: silence is golden).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:
Hahah! So Tanabata is the crux. I'd noticed the "About Tanabata" thing in the ED and wondered if that meant the climax was going to be then. Younger Haruhi having a Wishing on a Star moment, perchance? It would fit the OP (book readers: silence is golden).

Silence is golden, yea and verily, but let me "infect" the readers of this thread with this thought:

During the OP, there is a sequence where Haruhi stretches out her hand, against a backdrop of stars, and another hand appears to clasp hers.

Everybody has been thinking "Sistine Chapel" about that image, because that image of the Hand of God giving life to Adam is such a pervasive one in Western art. But you can stop thinking that, now.

Think about the legend of Tanabata, instead.

Tanabata is a star festival (a Japanese adaptation of the Chinese festival of Qi Xi) that takes place on the 7th day of the 7th month. On this day, according to legend, the two stars Orihime (Vega) and Hikoboshi (Altair), separated by the Milky Way, are afforded the chance to meet and be together -- just this once every year.

In the original story (or rather, one version of it) a mortal cowherd chances to see an immortal angel-girl naked, while she and her sisters are bathing. They marry and are happy together, but the Goddess of Heaven is enraged that a mere mortal has married an angel. She scratches a line in the sky with her hairpin (hence, the Milky Way), and the two lovers are placed in the sky as stars, forever separated.

However, once a year, Heaven takes pity on them, and a bridge of magpies spans the sky, allowing the separated lovers to meet. This is the occasion of the festival of Tanabata.

Tanabata, in Japan, is celebrated by writing wishes on bits of paper (tanzaku), and hanging them on a specially erected bamboo tree, in the hope that the wishes become true.

So... can anyone see a parallel with a girl with heavenly powers, who on the festival of Tanabata wishes to meet her destined lover, a mortal man with no special powers? A girl with the power to make that wish come true?

That picture in the OP makes a different kind of sense, now, doesn't it?

I think Tanabata isn't the climax of the story... it's the beginning.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

This is the biggest spoiler of the entire series, and I can't agree with you more.

Great job, abunai-sensei.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

That picture in the OP makes a different kind of sense, now, doesn't it?

Oddly enough, I never saw it as the Sistine Chapel sort of image. I personally saw it as something more like you described, but without the actual Tanabata reference (I'm familiar with the legend after a few random anime had episodes about it, but still didn't connect).

But, um, now that I think about it, the relevence of this post is lacking. I'm going back to bed. Maybe later I can think of a few words I can string together into a coherent sentence.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
I had followed this thread from when it first came out, but the inevitable emergence of spoilers made me leave. Now, I'm a pretty harsh grader when it comes to giving ratings to things I like, but this is the first show that I've ever seen that I can not think of a single weakness in the show except that it can never be long enough.

Every episode I've seen has left me more and more excited for the next. While watching number 7 I had to pause it because I didn't want to miss anything while I wasn't breathing. I also don't tend to rewatch comedies, be it Family Guy or AzuDai, but I can't help it, I've seen each of these episodes at least 10 times now Anime dazed

If it keeps giong like it has been, this would be the first show I would legitimately attempt to give an 11 out of 10. Shame on those who tried to get it off the number one slot by giving it a 1, 2, or 3.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Everybody has been thinking "Sistine Chapel" about that image, because that image of the Hand of God giving life to Adam is such a pervasive one in Western art. But you can stop thinking that, now.
I know I started that whole idea, but I admitted that it was way out in left field, and never seriously believed it. Embarassed Embarassed The Tanabata thing isn't exactly a spoiler (at least not to me, who hasn't read the novels), as Episode 7 strongly hints at something about "Tanabata 3 years ago."
So, Ep#7, the break between the halves of the island adventure (in terms of episode airing order, of course)...another onslaught of crazy S/F, and you gotta love the completely senseless and random anime references. Although, the "powers" used draw some sort of connection with the FMP world spoiler[given that the Lamda drivers creates physical manifestations of mental images, in keeping with Melancholy~'s thought -> reality concepts], as darkchibi07 pointed out; I missed that particular visual effect. And, you learn something new every week with this show, as apparently a petabyte is a "step above" a terabyte, AKA 1000 TB or 10^15 (2^15) bytes.
In this episode and in general, I like Kyon's interactions with Mikuru; given that most anime male leads stumble through life with no direction and just happen to see girls bathing/changing or otherwise offering fanservice, Kyon stands out because he actively seeks out or hopes for opportunities to see, touch, or exploit poor Mikuru-chan. (As long as he doesn't get caught by Haruhi, that is.)
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
I have this crazy idea, but could Mikuru spoiler[be kyons sister?, from the future? ]

crazy huh..?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 213