• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Seems like an amazing series. I have a question....Is this show licensed by anyone? Or will I have to download my very first fansub (which I probably won't do).
greatdevourer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
Seems like an amazing series. I have a question....Is this show licensed by anyone? Or will I have to download my very first fansub (which I probably won't do).
It's still being broadcast, so no. But, as long as you delete it as soon as it gets licensed, you wont feel guilty Wink
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
After reading what of the book has been translated, seems you guys were right as far as how closely the episodes follow it. Only thing really missing is a few comments here and there mady by Kyon about what he was thinking.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
This series gets better and better. Smile

I loved this series in a heartbeat due to it being a comedy (my favourite genre in media). Although, To be honest, I never expected this series to be THIS popular. The popularity of this series is at a point where it scares me. It's already #3 in the Top 10 Anime, & .01 behind even Cowboy Bebop. Scary. Shocked

Ep. 5 should be subbed in a day or two; I can't wait.

Who's going to pick this up when/if it gets licenced? I sure am. So much that I might even buy the single DVD's, which I never do, since I always wait for the boxsets.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely addicted to this show, despite it's weak premise. Haruhi Suzumiya is an instant favorite anime character.

I can see ADV licensing this at some point. I would purchase DVDs of it in a flash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm absolutely addicted to this show, despite it's weak premise. Haruhi Suzumiya is an instant favorite anime character.

I can see ADV licensing this at some point. I would purchase DVDs of it in a flash.

as popular as this is just over the fansubbing networks and such...to think what it'd be like if it actually CAME to the states, jeez, they'd be translating the books into almost every europeon language within a few months (well, maybe not really, but still we can wish : P )
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first three episodes; didn't laugh at #2 or #3, but #1 was very funny. I hope they have more episodes like #1, I'd keep watching just for that.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Watching episode 5 (according to Kyon that is Surprised ), is like getting smacked by a cinderblock TWICE!!! Mad

And yet it was still hilarious as hell! Though let's if I simplify what just happened:

spoiler[Yuki is definetely an alien.

Mikuru is definetely a time-traveller.

Itsuki is defientely an esper, and he got properly introduced!

Haruhi somehow "created" the world we know 3 years ago and has the ability to "control" it. Hmmm, has anyone noticed how Haruhi was disappointed when she was not paired with Kyon when they were looking for aliens? I wonder what true role Kyon plays with Haruhi. Rolling Eyes
]

This is definetely not your straight up comedy series! Shocked
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, for some reason, I felt that the animation quality for episode 5 was a bit worse than episodes 2, 3, and 4. The colors seemed to be less sharp. Anyone else notice that?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07, take care not to confuse what you are told by Nagato Yuki, Asahina Mikuru and Koizumi Itsuki with the absolute truth. If you think about, you'll se that their versions of what happened don't match up, entirely.

What you are being told is how they view the situation -- not necessarily the actual state of affairs.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
During Episode 5 I found myself independently coming to the same conclusion as abunai--spoiler[that Haruhi is creating these odd people. It reminded me of Adam from Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, if anyone's read that. The question remains as to whether any of them actually have any powers. Also, are they actually creations, or regular humans given these personalities? Indeed, could it all be a sham, with Haruhi just convincing them to play a part for the benefit of her and Kyon. (I would like this scenario).] In any case, I still feel that Haruhi is too distant, too much of a plot element rather than a character. I would like to see a long scene with just her and Kyon establishing a deeper connection as friends so that we in the audience can appreciate her, as well as better fleshing out him.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, after reading what I could of the novels (up to chapter 5) and seeing up to episode 5 of the animation, I'm really being tossed around. Just what is going on?

At first I thought it was a wacky comedy, then I thought it was a wacky high-school show, and now it's turning into a science fiction adventure. I'm actually a bit disappointed with the recent developments. The show started off with a great and pretty mysterious premise, but now it seems to be turning into a cliched spoiler["normal kid dissatisfied with life has his world turned upsidedown due to strange and paranormal events" science fiction series. If more unbelievable revalations are made, this show might lose a lot of its charm for me ]. But even now after reading some of the thoughts posted here, I'm thinking even THAT prediction could be wrong. Is there a different plot underneath the underneath?

By the time that Koizumi spoiler[had revelead the "truth" about himself, I caught myself thinking "yeah, I get it, Haruhi is special and there's more to the world than meets the eye. Yadda yadda yadda." I also felt the same way about the second half of the events of chapter 5 of the first novel.] I really hope there's something else to all this that will truly win me over.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Well it seems that Haruhi got her wish and she doesn't even know it. Looks like the out of order theory for the episodes is correct and personally I really like it. I think it fits well with the show. Anyway episode 5 did have a different feel to it as it was more character explination and the laughs were far and few between (still a good ep.). Anyway it looks like next week is a throwback to the more comic side of the series. I don't know exactly how to read into it but I find it interesting that Haruhi has spoiler[drawn one of each to her. One time traveller, one alien, and one esper. Don't know why but I find it interesting. However even though this is probably wrong, I have a feeling that Itsuki's version of what's going on may be the right version. Considering that episode 1 is at this point thought to be the final episode, it could be Haruhi's reimagining of the world. As it is significantly different from the rest of the series. For what the reason is behind the reimagining we don't know yet.] Once again I'm probably way off base but I just thought I'd throw my own crackpot theory out there.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a huge disappointment. A staff member must have sat on the fast forward button or something.

Quote:
By the time that Koizumi spoiler[had revelead the "truth" about himself, I caught myself thinking "yeah, I get it, Haruhi is special and there's more to the world than meets the eye. Yadda yadda yadda." I also felt the same way about the second half of the events of chapter 5 of the first novel.] I really hope there's something else to all this that will truly win me over.

Well, I think that's sort of the point. It's written from Kyon's perspective and he was just as annoyed by it. That and to get the spoiler[espers] angle of the story.

Personally, from what I've seen (1-5) and read (ch 1-5), I think, at this point, spoiler[if it's anybody's dream world, it's Kyon's.] But that's only one possiblity I can think of.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
Sweet crap, 10 pages on this show already? Unless all American anime licensors have gone completely dumb, this show will be the first one nabbed up from this season, despite its apparent lack of marketable, spin-off merchandise.

Oh yeah, and it's an awesome show. W00t!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 213