• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter - forgotten?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunterxhunter_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter is an anime that is overlooked by the anime community. The reason is mainly because of the vintage of Hunter X Hunter, and when it was released (1999 - 2003). The other reason is because people lose interest within the first few episodes. But what most people don't know is that Hunter X Hunter is one of those amazing animes with original plots, stories, conflicts, and incredible fighting scenes formed with strategies that are beyond and well thought through. This anime is not one of those animes that have pointless fights. Each fight scene is backed up with an extroadinary reason to fight, out of revenge, anger, and rage. Of course, this anime wouldn't be able to stand up without the amazing character build-up. Each and every character has a backround that becomes clearly explained, and has a reason to be doing what he/she is doing.

Even though this anime is old, it's extremely overlooked but should be extremely overrated. Please, take your time to look at Hunter X Hunter. all it needs is some love.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I hate getting into things that aren't finished. Naruto, Inuyasha and bleach are three shows that I'm going to hate waiting for =)(English dub/release, in the case of IY).

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this show, but isn't there atleast 1 ova still left to be made?
hunterxhunter_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
no it should be finished. the objective of the main character is to find his father. in the last OAV it concludes it, but maybe there could be more :S just watch it anyways
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
The Hunter x Hunter manga continues further than where the anime series ended, so there's always a possiblity for more episodes to be produced. What the Hunter x Hunter anime needs more than anything is to be licensed. It's kind of hard for most anime fans to love this series that's "overlooked" when most anime fans probably haven't even seen it considering it's only available in fansubbed format.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I watched this series and all the OVAs as well and really enjoyed all of them. I haven't read the manga, but it does continue and I'm sure they will produce another OVA at some point about things that happen in the manga. There was another topic about a continuation of the HxH OVA possibilities. But, yes, this is one of my favorite series as well, because every fight scene did have a motive behind it. Unlike many fighting shows, there is a solid dynamic story to this one, with great loveable characters and many laughs. Once it gets lisenced i'm sure it will be a huge hit.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ahh... i've read the manga until around some volumes into the chimera ant arc.. and it wasn't really as interesting like the other arcs.

I really miss characters like Kurapika, Leorio, and the Genei Ryodan.

the chimera ant arc reminds me of DBZ in the character designs of some of the chimera ants and spoiler[some of my favorite minor characters killed.. like kaitou]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I actually started watching this series a few days ago. I had no idea what to expect, as I've only heard of this title by word of mouth. So I figured, "why not give it a try?"

And thankfully, I have not been dissapointed. I'm only up to episode 19 so far, but I already feel it's a great shounen series. It's directed by the man that did Rurouni Kenshin, has music composed by the man that scored Angel Links, Big O, Full Metal Panic!, and Gundam SEED, and the main character is voiced by the woman that plays Naruto Anime catgrin. Knowing all of this before I even started got me really hyped, and it's paying dividends.

As for the show itself, I'll probably make a separate thread for when I finish all of the TV and OAV series. But for now, I guess I can just say I like the characters and enjoy a lot of the "strategy" and "tactics" they use for the Hunter Exams Anime smallmouth.
jousha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
hunterxhunter_man wrote:
Hunter X Hunter - forgotten?

Um, no? Maybe it's just not known because it hasn't reached the US yet. The only reason I knew about it because I asked one of my Japanese friends what his favorite manga was, and he said Hunter X Hunter. From then on, I searched and searched for it . . . eventually downloading all of the current (and possibly only) series and OVA's. My friends and I watched them, and we couldn't get enough.

I don't see your reasoning on how this show was forgotten, especially since it's not even that old. I think you're just a bit misinformed.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
It really is a great show, Killua is one of my all time favorite characters. Also, when discussing it's pedigree, don't forget that it's based on the manga written by the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho, practically the father of the modern action anime (Flame of Recca and Naruto both borrow heavilly from his works). One thing that I like is the massive variety of the show, from a huge wacky contest that makes anything on reality TV look like weekend grocery shopping, to a rather cool mobster story full of intrigue, to adventures inside a real-life MMORPG/card battle game, where death is a very real possibility, it's all good.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
I remember Hunter x Hunter being huge at one point, people talk about it religously on many boards. However, that was when Naruto or Bleach, or even One Piece haven't really hit the fansub scene yet. Once Naruto started to air, all the buzz surrounding HxH seem to died out. Not to mention the HxH anime tv series concluded and it was pretty much forgetten. People also don't talk about Hikaru no Go much, but it was also insanely popular when it was airing in Japan. HxH just turn out to be another typical shonen series though as I'm checking out the manga from release from Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1