• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime with wild west influence

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeypetey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
What are the animes that have a western influence in them? I know of
Trigun and Gungrave, and Wild Arms, are there more?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote
Okay so...I just deleted almost an entire thread for list posts. Please, people, when you suggest a title, do you mind giving your own input on it instead of just saying "____ has cowboy hats?" Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
GUN FRONTIER seems to be a western... except, it has like LEIJI characters in it

So, it's Harlock as a cowboy... or something like that

I think it's very much rooted in western kinda culture without any of the sci-fi stuff or whatever added onto it

So... it's a REAL western it seems, but this is only judging from like 2 episodes

Seems to be about how Harlock and Tochiro go around kicking some ass western-style... uhh... yeah, that's the best way I can describe it
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
BTW, why do you delete "list posts"? Is there somethig wrong with them? I generally find them to be fun and informative, and certainly better than half the topics that get left untouched. Is it just one of those "pet peeve" things that mods get?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
GUN FRONTIER seems to be a western... except, it has like LEIJI characters in it

So, it's Harlock as a cowboy... or something like that

I think it's very much rooted in western kinda culture without any of the sci-fi stuff or whatever added onto it

So... it's a REAL western it seems, but this is only judging from like 2 episodes

Seems to be about how Harlock and Tochiro go around kicking some ass western-style... uhh... yeah, that's the best way I can describe it

Okay...while this is better than the other posts, it still amounts to repeating "____ has cowboy hats" a few times over. It tells us nothing about what makes the show worth watching. Yeah, if you're recommending it here, it should be a given that it has Western elements, but what makes it worth watching beyond that? What did you get out of it that you feel makes it worth a viewing by other people beyond it simply having a Western aesthetic?

And if you haven't seen the show yourself, then what's the point of replying? If you're just throwing names out there that you haven't seen—all based on some loose criteria that you think you have a pretty good idea your recommendations maybe likely match—then in truth you're not being very helpful. Without knowing what you're recommending, you could be telling the guy to go watch all manner of atrocious, godawful crap. If you want to be helpful, either recommend shows you know, that you've seen, and that you can explain to the person what makes them worth watching, or just stay out of it.

Ohoni wrote:
BTW, why do you delete "list posts"? Is there somethig wrong with them?

Well, it's an actual rule around here, since you apparently haven't read those. And beyond that sort of dogmatic reply, lists aren't allowed because they aren't discussion. They're spam. Mindlessly throwing names out there doesn't accomplish anything. There's no discussion to it. If you're naming favourites of something, you aren't providing the slightest idea as to what made you like them. If you're recommending something, you're being rather rude by not telling the person in the least why the show is worth watching and why you'd think they'd like it. ANN is a forum that promotes some manner of intelligent discourse, and I hate to tell you, but mindlessly, aimlessly, pointlessly blurting out "I LIKE ____," or "LOL GO WATCH ____," is not discussion at all. You may as well post off-topic for how little you're actually contributing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
If you want to be helpful, either recommend shows you know, that you've seen, and that you can explain to the person what makes them worth watching, or just stay out of it.

Fine, fine, fine. Jeez.

I have only seen two-to-three episodes, but I managed to derive what the series seems to be moving towards. Like the Herlock series, GUN FRONTIER is focused on the excerpts of Herlock (or Harlock, whichever). Only this time, in the Wild Wild West.

There seems to be a certain difference though aside from the western aesthetic. Whereas the Herlock OAVs I’ve seen were mainly about Herlock’s battles against a supernatural force and correlating this to the path of becoming a real man (as symbolized by Tadashi Daiba's improvement), GUN FRONTIER seems to be about the very base of what makes Harlock… well… Harlock.

It’s a little abstract for me to describe, but try to keep up.

GUN FRONTIER is about friendship and honor and learning to live free in a world that is corrupted by people that don’t have their principles in check. The space OAVs had a dash of this, but from what I’ve seen in GUN FRONTIER so far, those values seems to be the entire focus.

What I’m trying to say is that… HERLOCK (the OAV) had all the elements of HERLOCK, but it was put there alongside with the bigger picture of Tadashi’s path to being a man and the conflict with the Noo. As opposed to GUN FRONTIER, which seems to be more focused on being a man, and what it is that makes the man, a man.

You could say that both show more or less carry the same elements, but in the little I’ve seen of GUN FRONTIER, they seem to differ a bit because of how everything is setup (we don’t start out with an angsty male lead).

If I haven’t communicated that difference effectively enough at this point, then I’m sorry… it would help though if I had someone to work off, so reply if you wish.

Also, in this version, it seems that Tochiro is alive and well. He sets out with Harlock on a bunch of adventures where they traverse a land ravaged by no-good outlaws or corrupt sheriffs/politicians/something. See? Can’t get more western than that.

There were instances of when some things (like… women) would attempt to get in the way of Tochiro and Herlock’s friendship, but the strength of their friendship held up because of their immense trust for each other. They seem to quarrel a lot (from what I recall), but when it comes down to it, they believe in each other’s passionate burning souls. You will not find a friendship that is more ironclad than this (in this series anyway).

My main problem with the series seems to be the design. I thought that it looked kind of ugly as opposed to what I was used to on MADHOUSE and RINTARO’s Herlock. Unfortunately, that was enough that it didn’t hold my attention as well as I thought it would, which is too bad since the show pushes values that I highly admire. Blame my own pickiness I guess, but don’t let my comments on the art stop you from at least checking it out.

If anything though, it does indeed feel antiquated down to the manliness. If that’s what you look for in a western, this is the place to go. It’s core western from what I can understand, but I can’t be too sure unless someone backs me up.

Anyway, I’ve only seen little. Truth is, I was hoping someone would have a more comprehensive look at this than what I have since this does have a fan-base here from what I recall a few weeks back. Also, I’m not a big LEIJI buff, and my only real background is the newer HERLOCK OAVs, which people I’ve met seem to more or less consider to be actual HERLOCK anyway.

====================

EDIT: OH YEAH! Ohoni was talking about GRENADIER... I remember hearing that it was this series about some chick with a huge-rack who goes around shooting things or something...

I'm interested, someone please expand on it
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no discussion to it. If you're naming favourites of something, you aren't providing the slightest idea as to what made you like them. If you're recommending something, you're being rather rude by not telling the person in the least why the show is worth watching and why you'd think they'd like it. ANN is a forum that promotes some manner of intelligent discourse, and I hate to tell you, but mindlessly, aimlessly, pointlessly blurting out "I LIKE ____," or "LOL GO WATCH ____," is not discussion at all. You may as well post off-topic for how little you're actually contributing.

Eh. If it conveys information (and "I like ____" does convey information), then I'd consider it to be discourse. Of course, if there's a RULE that says otherwise, then by all means, censor away. Can't have people be making lists, or the terorists will win.

Quote:
EDIT: OH YEAH! Ohoni was talking about GRENADIER... I remember hearing that it was this series about some chick with a huge-rack who goes around shooting things or something...

Nope, big rack, guns, you just about covered it. Wink

I enjoyed the series, even fanservice aside it's pretty fun, and the gunplay was actually pretty cool much of the time.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
It's a manga, however Et Cetera is a worthwhile mension as it's set in the wild west.
Quote:
From Tokyo PopThe young and overly energetic Chinese orphan, Mingchao, travels across the Old West with dreams of becoming a star. She soon teams up with a mysterious priest named Baskerville and sets off for Hollywood.

They are attacked by tricksters and bandits every step of the way, all of whom seem to want to get their mitts on the mysterious ETOGUN. This gun is Mingchao's only keepsake of her dead grandfather and is said to have the most dangerous power in the world, guided by the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac.

Is a very enjoyable read. Especially how Mingchao's Ever trusting innocense constantly gets every one else into trouble.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

Nope, big rack, guns, you just about covered it. Wink

I enjoyed the series, even fanservice aside it's pretty fun, and the gunplay was actually pretty cool much of the time.

The series really is set in a Japanese setting. The main character does dress in a western fashion, but the rest of the characters and setting are distinctly Eastern. I really think Gunfrontier is a better Western series. I only wish they would make a sequel to Gunfrontier, or wrap up the story in a movie.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
uhmmm i think cowboy bebop has western influence in it.

it uses most codes and conventions from western films and sterotypical views on cowboys. they are gun slingers who normaly care about no one but themselves. i also get the impression a cowboy is lonly with the exception of that new cowboy film brokeback moutian "cough cough". anyway spike is all things thing just in space he's the space cowboy after all.

cowboy bebop would be wrong to say its a modern interpretation of a western is not a modern western at all its a futristic western and uses Propps narrative theory well. for those of you who dont know this thoery its the idea that a film needs to have a hero, villain, damsel ...ect. and western genre film are the best suited to this theorists ideas. cowboy bebop can be applied to the same theory so therefore, by using the codes and conventions (such as gunslingers, bounty hunters), and the narrative structure i say cowboy bebop was heavly influence by western or "wild west" genre.

thanks

see you space cowboy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1