• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reinventing the Anime Wheel (Tenchi)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Reinventing the Anime Wheel (Tenchi)

I really enjoyed Tenchi Muyo, but what is the purpose of Tenchi Universe? If Tenchi in Tokyo isn't directly related to either of those two, then why call it "Tenchi" in the first place? I'm just really confused as to why there is so much rehash of the same characters with this title. First they meet this way, then they meet that way, then they meet yet another way in different location altogether. I would much prefer that they simply continued on with the characters and plot continuity that was created with Muyo.

Of those who started with one series, did you enjoy the rest? It just seems like it would be a little annoying to have to re-learn how everyone became who they are and managed to come together... and for what? I just really don't 'get it'. Are there many other series with as much rehash as Tenchi?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm still curious what today's readers think. Any and all comments are welcome. Smile
CyberViper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I've had thoughts about this as well. I first watched Tenchi Muyo and really enjoyed it. I then watched Tenchi Universe and was confused as to why it wasn't a sequel...but rather just an alternate retelling. I personally would have liked to see a sequel. I suppose to put a new spin on an already existing story? Maybe they thought that a sequel wouldn't be exciting or wouldn't go anywhere.
And then I thought Tenchi in Tokyo was completely different from the others. I didn't like that one as much, but oh well. And now there is Tenchi GPX or something (I might have that wrong). I haven't watched that yet so I don't know what it's all about.
But I think a lot of series have alternate retellings, but more in the form of a movie or a very short OVA, rather than another series entirely.
Bosque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
Well, there are so many Tenchi anime cause it was a big succes back in 1992-1993, also, AIC tried to make some Tenchi for everyone, not just for teenagers like Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki was, also, there were different directors behind Tenchi things.

The original Tenchi OVAs, were Masaki Kajishima worked directly on are the... something you could call "official Tenchi story", of course it was great. From 1992 to 1995, that story had 14 episodes plus one "14.5 episode". In 1995 there was created Tenchi Universe, were Kajishima, the original creator, didn't work directly, it was something like "tv version of the Tenchi story", an alternative re-telling with a lesser animation quality, lesser quantity of nudity and all, it was very good to my taste also. Then, you have the Mihoshi Special, an episode that is just a story told by Mihoshi to the other characters about one of her adventures as a galaxy police officer, very good and well animated, also Ayeka looks really beautiful on it.
In 1996 was produced Pretty Sammy, another Tenchi-derived serie about Sasami, it started just as a joke between the Tenchi staff members: they drew some illustrations of Sasami wearing magical girl's stuff, the fans liked those drawins so much so the staff decided to make 3 OVAs about Sasami being a magical girl, also recomended for Tenchi fans. The same year, the first Tenchi Movie was on "¿cinemas?", it has nothing to do with Tenchi OVAs, some thing differs a lot from the original Tenchi series like Tenchi's mom and other things, it still being very fun and the best animated Tenchi anime ever.
Then, in 1997 there was Shin Tenchi Muyo (Tenchi in Tokio), a continuation for Tenchi Universe that tells what happens when Tenchi goes to live in Tokio, the art was terrible but it was the funniest Tenchi series, also Mr. Fujisawa from El Hazard and Rio from Burn Up W appear in some episodes. Also there was a second Tenchi Movie based on some comic by an author (can't rememer his name) who is not the original creator of Tenchi, again, it has nothing to do with the OVAs, there is no continuity with any other Tenchi stuff, the art was a bit strange but not bad, recomended anyway.
In 1998 was produced the third Tenchi Movie, one with a very awful art and with a more-serious story, not bad, neither very good anyway, again, nothing to do with the OVAs.
Then you have some time with no Tenchi news until 1992 when Pionner made that fantastic 10th anniversary DVD boxset that no-one has but everyone want to have before dying. That same year, Tenchi GXP was produced, another "alternative" serie were the protagonist is not Tenchi, a very funny series but the OVA continuity still intact.
So, the moment finally came in 2003, the OVAs continued just were it was left, episodes from 15 to 20 appeared from 2003 to 2005 and there is still story to tell, no one knows yet the end of this fantastic series, lamentably, the episodes from 15 to 20 are not exactly what Tenchi fans were waiting for, the center of all are not more the characters, now the story takes more importance, the animation is also worse than before and Tenchi's face wasn't draw with a compass.

Hope that helps you, i just remember Magical Project but just thing about it like another no-OVA-continuity-alternative-nothing-to-do-with-any-other-Tenchi-stuff-but-funny-anyway.

Bye bye and go watch some Tenchi, it's the best hahaha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
The original OVA was only marketed as a home-viewing-from-cassette package. But its popularity was so great afterwards that AIC decided to do a TV series for broadcasting. That was "Tenchi Universe," aka "TV Universe". This too proved popular. TiT is a prime example of what happens when there is too much of a good thing. Wink
Bosque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The original OVA was only marketed as a home-viewing-from-cassette package.

I don't know what exactly you meant but ¿isn't that the meaning of OVA?
Well, i don't know if it happened in other countries but at least here, back in 2000 i think, Tenchi Muyo! was on TV but the episodes were different, cutted to fit TV format (episodes divided in 2 episodes and such), also Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokio but those were intact.
Also, i think Tenchi in Tokio is great, i don't know why everyone hated it and the only think that sucks about it is the art and the animation, it's very funny to my likes, maybe a bit crazy sometimes, also the apparition of other AIC's characters was a good point haha, i think it was better than Tenchi Universe, ah, another thing tha sucked was the chilean voice for Sakuya hahaha, but the dubbing in general was fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The original OVA was only marketed as a home-viewing-from-cassette package.

I don't know what exactly you meant but ¿isn't that the meaning of OVA?
Well, i don't know if it happened in other countries but at least here, back in 2000 i think, Tenchi Muyo! was on TV but the episodes were different, cutted to fit TV format (episodes divided in 2 episodes and such), also Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokio but those were intact.
Yes that is correct. But as some have seen it on TV some years later, the less informed might have thought it was originally meant that way. One mustn't assume all here are otaku. Wink
Quote:
Also, i think Tenchi in Tokio is great, i don't know why everyone hated it and the only think that sucks about it is the art and the animation, it's very funny to my likes, maybe a bit crazy sometimes, also the apparition of other AIC's characters was a good point haha, i think it was better than Tenchi Universe, ah, another thing the sucked was the chilean voice for Sakuya hahaha, but the dubbing in general was fantastic.
Tenchi in Tokio might have been great, but Tenchi in Tokyo was just complete shyte to me Wink
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I just wished that tenchi continued on from the orgingal OVA (like how it did in the Manga).

I really did not like how they changed a lot of things in the TV series. Just a lot of the characters where getting way to wacky.
Eg. Magical Girl Pretty Sammy.

Sadly, I gave up Tenchi after the first TV series. One of the big turn off was the new ark work in the Tenchi In Tokyo. (Same reason why El~Hazard II OVA did not appeal to me ether.)

Bosque wrote:
The same year, the first Tenchi Movie was on "¿cinemas?", it has nothing to do with Tenchi OVAs, some thing differs a lot from the original Tenchi series like Tenchi's mom and other things, it still being very fun and the best animated Tenchi anime ever.
However the Tenchi Manga which continues on from the oringal OVA does link up with the movie in one of the volumes.

However the movie is till good on it's own. Actually if it was the first time that I have seen the english Tenchi Staff do an good english dub. Sadly, it all went down hill in the TV series.

I found the pretty Sammy OVA amuzing. That one with Biff Standards was so true about the computer industry. (I work in IT)

Last edited by Digital Dreamer on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bosque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
But the OVAs continued, the last episode was 20 and there is still sotory to tell... spoiler[No Asuka comng back yet, Tenchi hasn't decided betweek Noike, Ayeka, Ryoko or any of the girls]... etc. there is still being fun waiting for us.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
But the OVAs continued, the last episode was 20 and there is still sotory to tell... spoiler[No Asuka comng back yet, Tenchi hasn't decided betweek Noike, Ayeka, Ryoko or any of the girls]... etc. there is still being fun waiting for us.

Considering that I am still a BIG fan of the orginal OVA series, what do I need to pick up?
Espeically considering that I am replacing my old VHS anime tape with DVDs.
Bosque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, you should check the OVAs from 1 to 20:
The first part were 6 episodes, for sure you have seen them, then were the "Night Before Carnival" special, that was the 7th episode. Next, there was 6 more episodes, from 8 to 14 and a special 14.5 episode that i think came with the US DVD boxset (i think i saw it on the US Mishoshi special VHS). Then there were 6 more episodes from 15 to 19, i think they haven't been released at all in the U.S., at least here not. And the last that had appeared is the 20th episode known as "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OVA3 special: plus one" or something, it hasn't been released here and i think neither in the U.S.
So, that's what you should check if you like the OVAs, the story continues every time just were it was left, i mean, something like 8 years pased from the production of episode 14 and 15 but the story continues just were it was left, also, as i said, there is still things to be conclused like Yosho's decision on coming back to Jurai or send Tenchi.
Ayway, i'm a big Tenchi fan but i have to admit, third OVA series wasn't what i was waiting, the style changed a bit and the art... oh, i think i said it before, well: Déj'a-vu haha
Bye bye.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
WHOA! Thanks.

I was only aware of the first 2 OVA (first 2 episodes)
I will look into this.

Does ova 3 still have the same pase as the first ova.
I found that the second OVA (Episode 8 to 14) seem to dart about an not do any thing.

First OVA was the build up to the fight with Kagato.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
The problem with the 2nd OAV was that it suffered from typical "Empire Strikes Back" syndrome. It was, in general, a build-up to the events to take place in the 3rd OAV.

Which is, by the way, phenomeonal.

Also, the 2nd OAV was intended to give us more insight into the various characters. I've long felt that "Here Comes Baby" is perhaps the most well-crafted single episode in the franchise. It does such a phenomeonal job fleshing out not only Washu's character, but also gives us a fresh look into the perspectives of Mihoshi and Tenchi.

The 3rd OAV's big downfall in some fans' eyes is that it deals much more with the universe the franchise occurs in (explaining the goddesses, more of the political landscape, and introducing more key characters). However, it also represents the maturing of Tenchi that Kajishima has been progressing ever since the lad took up the sword.

In fact, that "maturing" is a large part of the reason why Kajishima was involved with the 3rd Tenchi movie - the only one of the movies to receive his sanction.

As of right now, only the first 3 episodes of the 3rd OAV have been released stateside, and we're going to have to wait until September for the next three, and then November for the finale. Kajishima has also stated that this is far from the end of the Tenchi saga, and because the 3rd OAV has been so warmly received and he's enjoyed returning to his franchise, there is a possibility of a 4th.

Not to mention, alongside the 3rd OAV, be sure to look into Kajishima's other fun creation - Tenchi Muyo GXP. It's a fun romp in the Tenchi world that works entirely in the OAV continuity. It takes place directly after the 3rd OAV, but save for a few moments later on, you really don't need to have seen the 3rd OAV to enjoy it fully.

Besides, we get introduced to the majority of Mihoshi's family; her mother Mitoto, her brother Misao (who has a large role in the 3rd OAV), and her grandmother Mikami. As a KOME member, that alone made it well worth watching for me. Very Happy
Bosque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
haha you stole my words bout "Here comes baby" (it could be cause you know more english Smile ), that episode really represents what Tenchi Muyo! is, the character's development is great, and that's the time we are more "near" no Washu's past and feelings, her story is very "¿emotive?".
Well, appart from that, i think OVA 2 is great, i didn't pay much atention to Dr. Clay and that stuff but the character's development. I think that in those episodes the story was just an excuse to show us more about the characters.
What i think that was bad about third OVA series is that it's not as ariginal as past Tenchi OVAs, i see an influence of all the anime produced from 92 to 03 in those episodes (also i can say the same about the last 2 episodes of Photon: idiot menace). Part of the magic of old Tenchi was it's originallity, it was almost a full new genre with full new kind of mecha and other stuff, everything was unique, but that "maturing" of Tenchi series didn't work cause it takes lots of elements from numerous trends and themes that appeared and was in fashion in the 90's. I don't remember well now but i specially remember a scene were Tenchi was all shocked about something, it just reminded me about post-Eva trends in anime, etc. Hope you can undestand, and also hope that 4th OVA will be better that third andanimators draw Tenchi's face perfectly round again, i love that hahaha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1