• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Mai Hime is similiar to Mai Otome

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveethedork_not

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
Wen i watch Mai Hime, the character from Mai Otome looked exaxt the same character as from Mai Hime, but different age.

From teens to adult

To present to destruction
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The characters that are in both Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome look exactly the same, there doesn't seem to be any difference in age. They have different personalities though. The story in Mai-Otome also has nothing to do with Mai-Hime's story, but they are similar in some ways.
Berselius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about there not being a connection. When spoiler[The gang Fight Midori she says something like "Why do you continue to defend THIS world?!"] That may indicate that the world was reset or something, ya never quite know with anime Wink And there is definatly change in ages. The Natsuki, Tate, and Shizuru, archetypes are all much older.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
There is no physical change in age as far as I've seen. That's what I meant by there being no change in age. The connection between Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome is too early to tell. Probably best left as unknown for now I guess.
Berselius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
You're telling me that Tate and Sergay look the same age to you? Rolling Eyes C'mon, all the characters I mentioned were in their teens in Mai HiME, but look like they are in their early or mid 20s in otome, with Sergay looking the oldest. Natsuki is MUCH taller than she used to me in Hime IMO. All the other returning characters seen thus far do look the same age, but I can definatly see a difference among the three I previously mentioned. Just my opinion though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
Well, in episode 12 spoiler[there is mention of "Mai" who is supposed to be the older sister of Tokiha Takumi [a bunch of other fancy names], which seems to make the connections even closer], but in general, it is a bunch of girls, with magic/advanced technology powers, involved with fights and various secret plots in the background. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend watching Mai Otome if you haven't seen Mai Hime, since a good deal of its appeal rests on recognizing characters and other references from the first show. Some characters remain almost exactly the same (Shizuru), while others go for the shock and become extremely different (Mashiro).
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching this series and I love it.

I think it takes place on an alternate universe. The names of the characters, their voices, their personalities all remain the same but they have now completely different roles.

Some characters that used to be good are now bad and vice versa. I think that was really original. I'm really enjoying the series right now.

Luminal
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think ANN's encyclopedia summary pretty much sums it up when it says:

ANN Encyclopedia Entry wrote:
... Adapted from it's predecessor, Mai-HiME, this series is not a direct sequel, but an alternate universe setting featuring some of the Mai-HiME cast (though with different personalities).

Last edited by Keonyn on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, in episode 12 spoiler[there is mention of "Mai" who is supposed to be the older sister of Tokiha Takumi [a bunch of other fancy names], which seems to make the connections even closer], but in general, it is a bunch of girls, with magic/advanced technology powers, involved with fights and various secret plots in the background. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend watching Mai Otome if you haven't seen Mai Hime, since a good deal of its appeal rests on recognizing characters and other references from the first show. Some characters remain almost exactly the same (Shizuru), while others go for the shock and become extremely different (Mashiro).

I started watch Mai Otome first, then went back and grabbed Mai HiME, so, no, one doesn't necessarily need to see the first one to appreciate the second one.

Either that or I just enjoyed it backwards...
squirtbag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I started watch Mai Otome first, then went back and grabbed Mai HiME, so, no, one doesn't necessarily need to see the first one to appreciate the second one.

Either that or I just enjoyed it backwards...

I just hope the ending for the second season is better than that of first season..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1