• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taiyo Matsumoto-The Website

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the rockstar god of awesome manga has his own website:http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/taiyo/. I can't read Japanese, but it lists his works, and with each there's a short flash movie to show his kinetic art in motion. While I've read most of his works, Zero and GOGO MONSTER are high on my most wanted list, as are the artbooks 100 and 101. Oddly, it doesn't list Brothers of Japan, a collection of short stories. I'm assuming that it hasn't been updated in a while (No.5 is listed as having only 6 volumes, though the 8th and final one was recently released).
In anycase, I guess this was really an excuse to start a thread about Matsumoto. I know there are a couple of other fans on the board, and if anyone has any questions about him, feel free to ask. I think some people are intimidated by his surreal artwork, but his stories are often very accessible.
As for my favorite work, I'd still have to go with Black and White. It's really an amazing example of what someone can accomplish with graphic fiction. Hanaotoko is getting pretty close though. While I love Ping Pong, No.5 and Blue Spring, those can't equal to other two in my opinion. Not yet at least (I still have yet to complete Ping Pong or No.5...damn you Viz...).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oddly, it doesn't list Brothers of Japan, a collection of short stories.

I just realized that this isn't published by Shogakukan, who run the website. I do know he made his debut in Kodansha's Afternoon, but I haven't been able to find anything about it, or if he has any other non-Shogakukan works besides these two.
cboudreau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
Very nice. I can't read Japanese but those little flash movies were very cool. Thanks for the link.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
ANN's Encyclopedia doesn't have a full list of all his work. So far its':

Black & White
Blue Spring
GoGo Master
Hanaotoko
No. 5
Ping Pong
Zero

Is there anything else?

I really want to check out Zero though.
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
There's a Book Off opening near my house soon (Vancouver) which I am incredibly excited about. For those who don't know book off is a popular retail second hand bookstore in Japan and their prices are extremely cheap so I'm going to go there July 2nd on it's opening day and see if I can snag volumes 3-8 of No.5. Thank God for all the asians in Vancouver.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
There's a Book Off opening near my house soon (Vancouver) which I am incredibly excited about. For those who don't know book off is a popular retail second hand bookstore in Japan and their prices are extremely cheap so I'm going to go there July 2nd on it's opening day and see if I can snag volumes 3-8 of No.5. Thank God for all the asians in Vancouver.

I'm aware of what bookoff store are (really cheap used japanese manga), but I wasn't aware that there was a lot of japanese peeps in Vancouerv. Pretty cool, last time I been to van, there were a lot of vietnamese, chinese and so on.

Here in L.A., you can pretty get lot of japanese stuff over at Lil Tokyo, but they're usually more expensive because they're imported. You can also get license manga tranlsated in chinese too.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yea, I'm pretty much going to have to do the same thing, since the chances of Viz following through are almost nothing. Unfortunatally Sasuga books, a very good Japanese bookstore right outside of Boston, moved and changed into more of an online operation. It isn't that much farther and it's still open, but it isn't near a train station (no car) and it's only open on Saturdays, which is rather inconvinient. They don't list No.5 on their site, so if I want a special order I'm guessing I'm going to have to get over there some day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1