• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
does this show get better as you stick with it? i decided to check out the first couple episodes based on the hype and although the action sequences are cool, everything feels like it's been done a million times before.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it seriously gets better especially the second half where spoiler[the HiME's have to go destroy each other's CHILDs]
Flou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah! At first it feels generic but after episode 8 and beyond it starts to step out of the mold. Especially in the later episodes, it completely does a 360 on you! It's useless to predict what will happen in the future episodes. Very Happy
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
does this show get better as you stick with it? i decided to check out the first couple episodes based on the hype and although the action sequences are cool, everything feels like it's been done a million times before.

It doesn't change until ep#10 : everything feels like it's been done a million times before. After that, I don't know, I will no longer watch this poor anime. Get the OST from Kajiura Yuki, it's the only good thing from it.
kainzero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
it's ok. the action doesn't pick up for a while, up until i think 10, or 11, or 12, and that's when the story picks up, which so far is just fairly decent, nothing great but not bad either.

oh, and i disagree with the person above me regarding Kajiura Yuki's work. it just wasn't up to her usual stuff, and at times, the soundtrack didn't even blend in properly, IMO. the big action sequence in episode 15 didn't even have a good lyrical song matched to it, and the tracks are often repetitive (ugh @ the xylophone). i wonder what happened to the acoustic guitar from the first episode.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think its a good show, it just takes some time to get into the real good stuff.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
MY HIME RULES!

Definitely an award-winning masterpiece for me.

Like other oustanding anime programs I've seen (Midori Days, Kiddy grade, Getbackers, Chobits, etc.)

It's an anime show that starts out with humor, fun and laughter then as the show progresses, it starts to become serious and emotional. The action and suspense rises along during this part and also, to my surprise, episodes 16 onwards (or whatever episodes these are) are the episodes that often tend to make my heart pound. Usually, it's this part that has the highest level of suspense (and perhaps one of the highest I've seen in the 50-year exsistence of Anime). After that, the ending spoiler[ends just right, not too bad & not an ultimate ending either. It just ends well beyond expectations and it's a good thing no character died in this anime (especially with a show like this, it wouldn't sound right if characters permanently die in the end).]

As for the characters in this series, I basicallly like ALL of them. But my all-time favorite characters are the ff:

-Yukino* (Yukino-chan!!!!! Ganbatte! Wink )
-Midori
-Miyu
-Natsuki
-Aoi

Now, as for the music, the songs are really nice, probably not the best, but in general, the songs are really nice and truly match with the show's theme.

For me, the original japanese voices (seiyuus) are really nice and I enjoyed it very much. I do hope that English dubbing, once produced, would have similar quality to that of the original Japanese audio (if not better).

Overall, I consider this show to be a masterpiece and I'm aware that some of you won't agree with me (due to varying personal opinions). I'm firm with my decision because I believe that this show does its best in order to achieve perfection in all aspects as possible. It does it's best to be a really enjoyable show and not a flop like Oji and the Section Chief. But to put it in a simple explanation, the show is indeed enjoyable and fun to watch from beginning to end. I think I might watch this show again some time (and if I have the time Sad ).

My hopes for this show have remained high, stayed high after the final episode and continues to remain high. Therefore, I can expect that Mai-Hime : Next Stage (or whatever name they pic for the next season) would carry out on what the first season accomplished. I also have expectations for the new lead character, other new characters whatever things come out for the new season.

Though unfortunately, I hear some rumours from other threads that they might not include the old characters from S1 into the new season. I just hope that those aren't true and I gladly hope that they do return (especially Yukino, Midori, Miyu, Natsuki and Aoi).

Well, that's the end of my post for now (waaah...... looks like I've made a review instead of regular post).

BUT....

I still have one final question (or questions).

-Are there any threads in the Animenewsnetwork.com forums that are solely(?) and purely dedicated to discussion on My-hime?

and

-Do you guys know of any site (can be fanlisting, forums, fansite, etc.) dedicated to My-hime? I know there are many but can you at least recommend me a site?

Thanks.

[-edited for spoiler tags. Try to spell correctly next time too -s]
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
MY HIME
Usually, it's this part that has the highest level of suspense (and perhaps one of the highest I've seen in the 50-year exsistence of Anime). After that, spoiler[the ending ends just right, not too bad & not an ultimate ending either. It just ends well beyond expectations and it's a good thing no character died in this anime (especially with a show like this, it wouldn't sound right if characters permanently die in the end).]

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! You're giving it all way!!! Put this in spoiler tags immediatly!!! Mad This show lives on its surprising twists and turns and you can't just tell everyone the ending!!

I really loved the show by the way, it's true that it starts rather normal, but it gets better and better! It's unbelievable that spoiler[the creators put so much effort in the character developpment and then they destroy them all (or seem to...).]
Damn, I could never predict one single thing, let alone a whole episode!! Stay tuned, it's definitely worth it!! Very Happy

Last edited by smutchi on Wed May 04, 2005 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
character development? Where?

This is a huge disappointment. It was predictable, boring, lack of development in the romance between characters, many crappy useless characters. First 20 episodes - nothing happens. Worst. Ending. Ever.
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It's Debateable wrote:
character development? Where?

This is a huge disappointment. It was predictable, boring, lack of development in the romance between characters, many crappy useless characters. First 20 episodes - nothing happens. Worst. Ending. Ever.

Well, I agree on some points, I didn't find the ending good either and the romance between spoiler[Mai and Tate] was a bit annoying at times.
However, I'd like to know which characters were so "crappy and useless" as you say? I really like it that there are so many different characters who all participate in the storyline...
And I find that there is a lot of character development, especially when you look at Mai! And predictable....come on! Smile Are you being serious? Smile
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
as for bad characters, none were downright bad but few were worth remembering. They were all either overdone (spoiler[villain, Natsuki, Miyu]), annoying (spoiler[Shiho...]), or just plain boring or had potential but was underdeveloped(spoiler[the smart girl, the archaelogist girl or whatever she was, Nao]) Although I consider one of the HIME to be one of the best female characters I've seen in an anime even though she plays too minor of in the anime. Also, spoiler[Nagi was awesome!]

As for predictable plot, yes Smile
spoiler[
It was obvious that the council memeber guy was going to play a big part in the series from early on. And that one episode where he tried to kiss her hinted that he might have been a bad guy. There were other things. Like when someone died off, you knew they were coming back to life Smile ]

But yeah, you're right about Mai. She definately has development in there.
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It's Debateable wrote:

Although I consider one of the HIME to be one of the best female characters I've seen in an anime even though she plays too minor of in the anime.

Which one?

It's Debateable wrote:
spoiler[It was obvious that the council memeber guy was going to play a big part in the series from early on. ]

Agreed.
Buuuuuut... spoiler[Did you really expect Miyu and Nao to become nuns? Laughing ] Wink
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It's starting to feel like My-Hime is more of an Evangelion clone than all of the mecha shows that people like to call Evangelion clones. Especially after the episode with the spoiler[alternate, everything is fine, normal, and happy universe.]
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
It's Debateable wrote:

Although I consider one of the HIME to be one of the best female characters I've seen in an anime even though she plays too minor of in the anime.
Which one?

spoiler[Shitzuru or whatever her name is. Everything she did surprised me. She is very very awesome. Fascinating character in my opinion,]

It's Debateable wrote:
spoiler[It was obvious that the council memeber guy was going to play a big part in the series from early on. ]

Agreed.
Buuuuuut... spoiler[Did you really expect Miyu and Nao to become nuns? Laughing ] Wink

...No. No I didn't Laughing
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
[quote="smutchi"]
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
MY
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! You're giving it all way!!! Put this in spoiler tags immediatly!!! Mad This show lives on its surprising twists and turns and you can't just tell everyone the ending!!

Oh, sorry bout't that. I thought those didn't need spoilers and I guess I didn't see that. My mistake.

Well, I don't consider any of the characters to be "useless" in any way, though there are some characters that I don't like such as:

spoiler[Shiho, for being annoying and having the attitude of jealousy (perhaps it can't be helped because she may be possessed by some evil.) Anyways, still don't like her and never will.]

Nao, I didn't like her that much from the start and through 3/4 of the duration of the series due tospoiler[her attitude and wickedness (at least during that part).
]
. Foruntately though, her attitude changed and spoiler[her left eye got healed]. Thus becoming a better person in the end at least.

That's basically it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3