• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Smash Bros. Adds Corrin, Bayonetta as Playable Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
And Fire emblem also only has 6 games released in the west (1 even being a remake) and no spin-offs or anything else of note other than a 2-episode OVA in the 90s.

Ignoring everything else pokemon related including the countless spinoffs, anime, TCG etc in order to make a case of pokemon being over-saturated just weakens your argument. Especially since about anyone can tell that Pokemon's sales and popularity greatly overshadow Fire emblem's.

I ignored Pokemon's spin offs just as I did Fire Emblem because I felt it was more comparable. Fire Emblem also has spin offs, remakes, a TCG, and other merchandise as well. Whether or not the games are released in the west are irrelevant though. This is a Japanese game, so you have to look at it from a Japanese standpoint. Things like Japan-only doesn't apply to consideration, otherwise Lucas wouldn't have been in any game. Or Roy and Marth in the original melee for that matter. I'm merely stating Fire Emblem is no more over-represented than Pokemon if you look at main series progression.

Kikaioh wrote:
That's understandable though, since Pokemon is an enormously popular series compared to Fire Emblem. At this point FE has more representation than The Legend of Zelda, which makes FE look like a niche title in comparison.

The Legend of Zelda franchise has always been more popular here than in Japan. Fire Emblem has been out performing Zelda for a long time in Japan. It's hard to compare them since Zelda only comes out with a main game once a console, but if you include spin-offs and handhelds the sales for Awakening and Fates have out performed Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Link Between Worlds, and Triforce Heroes.

Also, from a creative standpoint, it might be hard to give Zelda more representation as they reuse Link, Zelda, and Ganon in every game. Fire Emblem has new characters constantly so it's easier to pull from. Hyrule Warrior's choices for other characters might be a bit too obscure to put in a non Zelda fanservice titles. Metroid is in a similar space since there's no other characters outside of Samus, so they separated Zero-Suit Samus from regular Samus to give another spot. I know people wanted Ridley, but I think Sakurai mentioned he'd never use him or something.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
If you look at the Smash franchise as a whole, Pokemon actually has more representation than any other game franchise, most of it coming from the original Generation 1 games (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow).

Ivysaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo (all Gen 1), Pichu (Gen 2), Lucario (Gen 4), Greninja (Gen 6). That's 9 playable characters10 depending on how you count Pokemon Trainer (who also is Gen 1, based on the Gen 1 male playable character). 6 of them are in the current game. And 6 (7) are from the same game.

Second-highest representation, and highest current representation, is the Mario franchise. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Dr. Mario, Wario, Rosalina, and Bowser Jr. All 9 of them are in the current game, and only one (Dr. Mario) has ever been removed since their addition (he was missing from Brawl after being in Melee)

Third highest, now, is FE, with 6. Unlike the Mario (and Zelda, below) crew, who are the same (with additions) in each game, or Pokemon (which has a new collection, but with the oldies still available), most FE games have new casts. The 6 FE characters in Smash only represent 6 of the games (as Marth's storyline crossed 2 games).

Tied for third for overall franchise, but fourth currently, is Zelda. Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Shiek, Toon Link, and formerly Young Link.

Just some info I pulled together because I was curious at Pokemon and Mario vs. FE.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
The Legend of Zelda franchise has always been more popular here than in Japan. Fire Emblem has been out performing Zelda for a long time in Japan. It's hard to compare them since Zelda only comes out with a main game once a console, but if you include spin-offs and handhelds the sales for Awakening and Fates have out performed Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Link Between Worlds, and Triforce Heroes.

Also, from a creative standpoint, it might be hard to give Zelda more representation as they reuse Link, Zelda, and Ganon in every game. Fire Emblem has new characters constantly so it's easier to pull from. Hyrule Warrior's choices for other characters might be a bit too obscure to put in a non Zelda fanservice titles.

I don't think that's entirely true. My understanding was that, due to poor sales of the FE series, Nintendo intended for Awakening to be the last game in the series. On the Wii, Radiant Dawn had sold only 0.17 million copies in Japan, compared to 0.37 million copies of Skyward Sword. Even on the 3DS, the re-re-release of Ocarina of Time still outsold Fire Emblem Awakening by tens of thousands of copies in Japan.

Considering Bayonetta's selection being largely based on the European and North American rankings, I sort of doubt that Corrin's inclusion was largely based on Fire Emblem's popularity in Japan. Global sales of Link Between Worlds was 2.68 million copies, which is close to a million copies more than what Awakening sold, so financially speaking Zelda is a bigger property for Nintendo compared to Fire Emblem.

I think the main reason they included Corrin was to raise awareness for the upcoming release of Fates, which is sort of how Smash has served the FE series in the past. As for whether there are other Zelda characters that could have been included instead, I think Hyrule Warriors is a fairly obvious source (if they wanted to advertise the upcoming Legends, Tetra would have been a very cool choice, or even Linkle, considering she's a new character). In any case, I still feel that Fire Emblem got more representation than was warranted, and if they were considering including a new character from Fates, they ought to have at least reconsidered including Robin or maybe even more so Roy (as a longtime Smash player Roy never seemed to be a particularly popular character, given his low tier ranking in Melee and the fact that Sword of Seals never released in the West).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
If Linkle was put into the roster, there'd be even more screams of anger than there are for Corrin, as people will peg her as a clone even though she doesn't play anything like Link in Hyrule Warriors Legends.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people pegged Corrin for a clone on his/her initial reveal, but I think opinions changed as soon as the full moveset was shown. I think it's more the fact that Corrin's yet another sword-wielder in the game, let alone another Fire Emblem character, that detractors are disappointed by.

In any case, I'm not entirely disappointed since I had voted for Bayonetta and she won the ballot, though I do think it would have been much more interesting for another series to be represented (Shantae or Shovel Knight in particular would have been fun and fit well I think).
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for the inclusions. ^^

Most importantly, what will Sakurai do now that his work on Smash Brothers is completed?
Will he start a new game? Or will he become the next Nintendo president (I've always had a vibe that he would be Iwata's successor)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4