• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Shoujo in Academia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Vantos wrote:
Cloe wrote:
You've obviously never read a feminist blog...or else you'd know they frequently write and talk about pregnancy, breastfeeding, motherhood, and other domestic topics.

The Rose Petal Cottage commercial bugs me because it reinforces gender stereotypes and sets up a set of rules and expectations that will force subconcious societal pressure on girls and their roles in life.

Wait. You said that feminists have no problem with domestic topics, yet a toy commercial about housewifery is bad simply because it depicts something "traditional."

Pretty sure you didn't actually read her post. She never said the commercial was bad because it depicted something traditional. She said that the commercial reinforced gender stereotypes and societal pressures. I mean, listen to the lyrics of the jingle. "Taking care of my home is a dream, dream, dream."

Around the same time that Rose Petal Cottage came out, they made an ad for a monster truck that showed a little boy zooming it around in his mother's flower bed, wrecking her flowers and generally causing mayhem. And the mother just smiled and thought, "Boys will be boys!"

That's reinforcing gender stereotypes. Boys can do whatever they want, playing with their manly toys and wreaking havoc, but girls ought to be happy pretending to do laundry and cleaning their house, because they can't *wait* to take care of their home.

It's one thing to have a playhouse. Lots of kids enjoy playing house. I had an EZ Bake oven. It was awesome. It's another thing entirely to imply that a little girl's only dream in life is to clean her house and tidy up after her husband.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I took my nephew to McDonalds just recently and they're doing that thing where they have two separate sorts of toys: Hot Wheels and Barbie. Usually I have no problem with their stupid Barbie toys, but all the Barbie themed toys were fake cosmetics. I'd be pissed if I were a mom with a little girl.

I doubt we'll ever see this sort of reinforced gender BS done away with.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The solution, of course, is to ban all forms of mass media in the household.

When I raise kids the only things they'll be allowed are acoustic musical instruments, and books written at least 60 years ago.

Everything else is devil's entertainment.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
The solution, of course, is to ban all forms of mass media in the household.

When I raise kids the only things they'll be allowed are acoustic musical instruments, and books written at least 60 years ago.

Everything else is devil's entertainment.

You should probably ban all books other than the Bible while you're at it, just to be safe.

On the bright side, your carbon footprint would shrink to practically nothing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Did you know that the Barbi and the GI Joe dolls were basically the same size , so their clothes, and accessories were interchangeable? Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most, oddly enough, were from the hard sciences. One of them is an astrophysicist studying solar weather, one a marine biologist, and so on.

From my small amount of laboratory experience, I find many strict and methodological tasks to be quite laborious and soul-sucking, especially when compiling data as if one is some sort of machine. A means of escape from this, such as anime and discussion relating to it, is appreciated somewhat. (In my case, investing in a traditional social life would be the primary unselected alternative.)

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I took my nephew to McDonalds just recently and they're doing that thing where they have two separate sorts of toys: Hot Wheels and Barbie.

I remember those in the mid-1990s. My excitement could barely be contained whenever the adverts were shown on the television. Huzzah for Mattel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I took my nephew to McDonalds just recently and they're doing that thing where they have two separate sorts of toys: Hot Wheels and Barbie.

I remember those in the mid-1990s. My excitement could barely be contained whenever the adverts were shown on the television. Huzzah for Mattel.
Hot Wheels boy would be out to pull Barbie girl, and Barbie girl would be out teasing Hot Wheels boy. Makes perfect sense to me. Smile
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Did you know that the Barbi and the GI Joe dolls were basically the same size , so their clothes, and accessories were interchangeable? Wink

I'm pretty sure little girls were the first one to figure that out. That and the fact that Barbie and GI Joe were secret lovers... Oh that was just me? Never mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm pretty sure little girls were the first one to figure that out. That and the fact that Barbie and GI Joe were secret lovers... Oh that was just me? Never mind.
I heard it was Ken. Wink Its all well and good to rail against the status quo, but what's on the other side of the coin? If neither one in a partnership can not cook, what do they do, spend the rest of their lives eating prepared means? Going to restarants? Then there is child rearing, especially during infancy? Last time I tried it I just couldn't breast feed my infants. I was taught to cook and clean a house by my mother, I had to if I wanted my allowance, but her indoors does all the cooking and has since we got married, but before that she hardly ever cooked at home as her own mother did all that, so I didn't marry her for her cooking. She learned from her mother, and me, the basics and took off from there. I do a few BBQs. and the odd stir fry, when she lets me, but otherwise it's all her cooking and that's the way she wants it. If they are going to lets someone else service their basic essentals of life, they better have a huge income, or be forever on benefits being a burden on already over burdened taxpayers, eating at MickyD's, or KFC, etc and isn't that a healthy way of living? If the missus could earn more than me each month, I'd gladly stay home as a house husband, no mistake. I'm not advocating a Stepford way of life, just wondering how, and where do the ideal couple work ideally?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm not advocating a Stepford way of life, just wondering how, and where do the ideal couple work ideally?

An "easy" answer is that the ideal couple never really existed in reality but in fiction, in fantasy, in the dreams of our storytellers. Then again we can't agree on what the "ideal couple" is, so that's why we see several different presentations, a different one for each storyteller. That's normally why we laugh at drama at the fantasy of it all, because part of us wishes for it but knows that it is not how the world works, right now...
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Barbie, I know she's been criticized a lot, especially for her unrealistic "perfect" form but I'd take her over those fugly "Bratz" dolls any day. At least Barbie has had jobs/careers and though you could do a pretend wedding, she's never officially married or had kids.

I've never really given much thought to the rose petal cottage commercial. Most girls like to play house but eventually they learn that there's more to life than that. But the message that irks me the most is the one targeted at tween girls (and sometimes younger) which seem to say that is being a girl is all about shopping, fashion, gossip, and chasing after boys.

But I think the reason advertising for children reinforces gender roles is because there are still many parents out there who believe that if a child likes a toy meant for another gender, it means they might be gay. Stupid, I know, but I actually know people like that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm not advocating a Stepford way of life, just wondering how, and where do the ideal couple work ideally?

An "easy" answer is that the ideal couple never really existed in reality but in fiction, in fantasy, in the dreams of our storytellers. Then again we can't agree on what the "ideal couple" is, so that's why we see several different presentations, a different one for each storyteller. That's normally why we laugh at drama at the fantasy of it all, because part of us wishes for it but knows that it is not how the world works, right now...
Like in an ideal world the world would be ideal. Perhaps in another universe. In this one compromise is the essence of a good relationship. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3