• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Yu Yu Hakusho Series Casts Takumi Kitamura

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
How much money will they waste until they realise that live action adaptations of anime suck?

Its cheaper than animation and live-action content can be churned out faster.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
@The Not so Chosen One Not all live action films are equal. Example: Live action FMA films
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not against live-action adaptations of anime/mangas. They could be done well (Lone Wolf & Cub, Kenshin,Battle Angel). These Netflix ones though,don't have any artistic ambitions or the budget for them. It's commerical garbage,trying to cash-in on a popular series.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
YYH can turn out just fine seeing it's a wuxia title and plenty of wuixa films exist. I feel like most morden (post-2000) western anime and manga fans are not aware of other fictional stuff from Asia outside of anime and manga. When you show them examples of wuxia movies in a similar vine to DB or YYH, they get confused.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ermat: Animation is cheaper. Anyway, these companies doing these LA adaptations want that Marvel/DC money, but don't wanna work for it.
Yusuke's appeal is that he's short, but packs a punch. Like Brad Allan.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
No one will agree with me but I don't think the Attack on Titan or Gantz live action movies are bad.

What I like about both is that they make smart changes to fit that they are movies and they have limited resources.

AoT has a pretty good production design and does well with the premise. Part 1 is a bit more interesting since it plays up the horror and part 2 feels like the logical and inevitable conclusion. Still, they are decent kaiju movies with really good art direction and decent effects.

The Gantz movies obviously can't much the rude and crude over-the-topness of the manga, but part one is a pretty faithful retelling of the beginning. But I think here the creators crafted an interesting (though super flawed) take on Gantz. In that their take away really is would you sacrifice for someone else. It's a pretty powerful moment where its clear that people do come back from Gantz and a character is willing to pony up the points to bring back someone they don't really know. Part 2 does get crazy and the movies don't really explain much, but I feel again its a decent take.

For me what makes these movies work is that they are adaptations, they aren't trying to replicate the original. They aren't a replacement for the original. They are takes on them. So many times I see the critique that "they changed things" and I feel thats lame.

That said, there are adaptions that to me really miss the point.

Ill-Rang plays it too close only to completely change the ending that really runs counter to what Jin-Roh was all about.

And the Ghost in the Shell movie is too busy trying to look pretty and tell a super hero origin story that it really fails GitS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Rahx: The point of GITS was it was supposed to intro the story to people not familiar with the anime.
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm more worried about the one piece live action than yuu yuu hakusho since it's as big today and has a LOT more to lose out if it goes south (which it mostly will) YYH on the other hand has already stamped it's 90s aesthetic as the quintessential shounen which has made its landmark since its completion and it isn't as big as bebop, one piece or death note.
Lindomare

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:21 pm Reply with quote
fudge live-action adaptations and anyone who likes them. Anime is cool as it is, it doesn't need any kind of translation to other types of media to make it more palatable. fudge you all.
Anne F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Lindomare wrote:
fudge live-action adaptations and anyone who likes them. Anime is cool as it is, it doesn't need any kind of translation to other types of media to make it more palatable. fudge you all.

Oh please. Get over yourself. You're so childish. Rolling Eyes I'll happily enjoy watching stage plays and other forms of live action productions. The stage play was incredible and if this turns out to also be good, I'll watch it and hopefully enjoy it too. People get so irrationally angry over these things. Live action shows/movies may not have the best track record, but that doesn't take away from the fact original show will always be there. Go watch that instead and let people enjoy this.

Anyway, I'm genuinely looking forward to the rest of the cast!
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
YYH can turn out just fine seeing it's a wuxia title and plenty of wuixa films exist. I feel like most morden (post-2000) western anime and manga fans are not aware of other fictional stuff from Asia outside of anime and manga. When you show them examples of wuxia movies in a similar vine to DB or YYH, they get confused.

YYH would need a lot more special effects and otherworldly set pieces than your typical Wuxia movie, but in general I do agree it could work in theory. Thing is, a lot of live action adaptations could work in theory but usually won't because of a lack of care and/or budget and with Netflix's trackrecord I doubt this will be any different.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
....I had no idea they were actually casting Japanese actors instead of American ones.

Gasp.

Maybe this won't suck after all! Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
....I had no idea they were actually casting Japanese actors instead of American ones.

Gasp.

Maybe this won't suck after all! Shocked

Casting Asian actors or non-Asian actors in of itself (or A-listers or people nobody has heard of) won't make the series suck any more or less if the script, acting, and budget all suck. I am not opposed, like most, to /LA adaptations of anime. Japan churns out just as many duds as America does. The problem is Netflix has shown little to garner faith they can do the series they are adapting justice. So I have little hope for this, which is still more than the zero hope I have for the L/A version of One Piece that is coming.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

You do realize this is mainly a Japanese production, right? Their primary target is probably Asian audiences, not American/Western European viewers. The director and writer are also Japanese.

Also, the actors (and creative people) being Japanese is no guarantee that it's not going to suck. See: all those terrible Japanese live-action manga adaptations. (There's only one series and one movie that I liked and thought were good adaptations, the rest... the less I say the better. Yes, even the Kenshin movies, I actually didn't particularly like them. The first one was alright, the rest, eh.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

You do realize this is mainly a Japanese production, right? Their primary target is probably Asian audiences, not American/Western European viewers. The director and writer are also Japanese.

Also, the actors (and creative people) being Japanese is no guarantee that it's not going to suck. See: all those terrible Japanese live-action manga adaptations. (There's only one series and one movie that I liked and thought were good adaptations, the rest... the less I say the better. Yes, even the Kenshin movies, I actually didn't particularly like them. The first one was alright, the rest, eh.)

Okay, but I was expecting this to be a completely American staffed Netflix like....a lot of other stuff (remember "Death Note"? No? Well that's a good thing).

And I haven't seen many of the adaptations you're talking about. But I did think the Kenshin ones were good and very loyal to the manga. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of chemistry between Kenshin and Kaoru.

It doesn't really matter though...because it's unlikely I will watch this version of YYH anyway....since the original series "isn't broken". lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2