• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Government Enlists Pirate Hunter to Track Down Illegal Streams, Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
The problem is that Japan just doesn't get online distribution and sees it as a threat, not as an opportunity.

Yes, they are sitting on a gold mine in mobile streaming yet they rarely do it for anything notable even late night anime don't get this treatment. It's always a short that no one cares about anywhere even in Japan that gets the mobile streaming treatment. If that isn't bad enough they could do a Steam for anime and have a leg up on the competition so early that when they see it, the suits would pee and crap their pants in aw.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So from what I read, they're going after the head of the snake rather than the body. Smart.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
There are legal means of watching anime online in Japan, but most of the time it's just the first episode for free and the latest episode is free for one week. If you miss that one-week free window then you'll need to pay to watch it. There isn't a "free" archive like Crunchyroll.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
As far as episode uploads being taken down on YouTube, that's a very real thing. I know, because I've reported channels on YT before to the publishing companies, and seen them taken down entirely as a result (fairly quickly at that). The problem seems to be that the companies don't seem to be looking, or maybe haven't allocated the resources to regularly check, so this new pirate hunter position sounds like a step in the right direction.

The internet has been a wild west, but with enough money, resources and cooperation from internet services and content platforms, it's only a matter of time before online policing/hunting groups become more effective at combating piracy.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Great. Looks like more YouTube live reactors are going to be victimized.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Wait what?! Why not make downloading and torrenting legal instead by abolishing the DMCA?

Because the creators get nothing from torrenting. Piracy is a HUGE problem in Japan due to a lack of legal streaming and subscription services.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
They should hire Jackie and Arnold to fight piracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIxsVZ61Ow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:
Wait what?! Why not make downloading and torrenting legal instead by abolishing the DMCA?

Because the creators get nothing from torrenting. Piracy is a HUGE problem in Japan due to a lack of legal streaming and subscription services.

Well, gee, I guess they should make some legal streaming and subscription services instead of throwing money into a pit that will never yield the results that they want.

Either they take my money in a legal and convenient way or I take that money and give it to a good VPN service and do whatever I want.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

Well, gee, I guess they should make some legal streaming and subscription services instead of throwing money into a pit that will never yield the results that they want.

Either they take my money in a legal and convenient way or I take that money and give it to a good VPN service and do whatever I want.

And THAT's the problem. To most Japanese companies the internet is a threat to the industry rather than an opportunity. Seriously, you're preaching to the choir here. Japan's attitude to streaming services is very different. In fact, the whole copyright attitude is very different. You're not allowed to use copyrighted content at all, hence why all the references get censored most of the time. Even political satire is taboo.

So yeah, the ideas behind intellectual property are unfortunately behind the times in comparison to the rest of the world.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
As far as episode uploads being taken down on YouTube, that's a very real thing. I know, because I've reported channels on YT before to the publishing companies, and seen them taken down entirely as a result (fairly quickly at that).

You sound like a fun, laid-back fellow who would be great at parties and wouldn't put anyone on edge. If you're coming to Anime Expo, we should totally hang out, brah.

#838774 wrote:

Welp, it only took 23 posts for the thread to get to the gooey caramel center of exile-the-bastards-from-the-internet vs. whatevah-i-do-what-i-want! IP fights. But who knows, maybe this thread will be different. Laughing
ponyclone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
when obama or clinton launch TPP, USA rules will apply to the japan, so i think it's a temporary try from them.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
ponyclone wrote:
when obama or clinton launch TPP, USA rules will apply to the japan, so i think it's a temporary try from them.

Actually TPP will make all content for anime reviews, gameplay and parody illegal.

So...yeah...not gonna happen thankfully.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ponyclone wrote:

I thought Hillary Clinton opposed the TPP.

Did she changed her mind again?

Last edited by kanjineogeo on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how bad the TPP is? Anyone? Has anyone been following the horrible effects it could cause?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the Japanese companies have yet to view streaming and downloading as another opportunity to popularize works instead of an hindrance. Even if this "Pirate Hunter" is successful in shooting down one "piracy" website, plenty more will appear in its place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6