• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about older animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dageiver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
I love the earlier stuff. I started watching anime during the 90's and find its really a product of its time with the whole cyber punk and dark city styles back then.

I watched gunbusters again before checking out the new ova and it was fine.

I find some of the newer anime with 3d hard to watch. The robots in Basquash seamed really really jerky and gave me a bit of a head ache. Neoin was similar.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
It's obvious that animation of older shows is different than nowadays, but good animation is always good animation. Diligence of the art, thoughtful animation can be noticed after years. But those good animations always request high budget or intelligent ways to hide lack of money. We are used to new tricks, so older ones are easier to notice.

BTW Galaxy Express 999 and all works of that author are a bit specific when it comes to animation. You have to like it or not, but it has very little to do with their age.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with old or bad animation as long as the characters are interesting or fun, the plot is solid and the direction moves things along nicely.

I have a real problem though when the animation team can't handle the scene and resort to abusing animation shortcuts to do the job. For example the battle charge between two opponents 15 feet apart that takes 2 minutes at warp speed, excessive talking head syndrome and explainocombat, where combat is explained via talking heads and a few flashes instead of being shown even if badly animated.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
When it comes to older anime, I’m wary of shows that are presented as good by people who saw them in their childhood. They can be good, but usually a certain amount of nostalgia is involved and those shows are hardly good.

If you consider "good" to be a judgement that cannot be motivated by sentiments of nostalgia if correctly performed, then one is certainly in a position to disregard the judgements of those who commit this presumed error. This premise seems to discredit a genuine phenomenon amongst many fans however: if a person comes to hold a profound affection towards an anime, it is somewhat natural for this affection to be reflected in their value judgements. Insofar as it reflects the speaker's attitudes, one can permit the term "good" to be used in this manner.

Of course, judgements that signify such attitudes are of little use to others, particularly to those who may be unfamiliar with the animation styles of previous generations. The same can be said, however, of many evaluative expressions in general. (Here is an obvious example of this phenomenon: Certain forum users have adopted the practice of ignoring particular staff members' reviews, on the basis that such reviewers' tastes fail to cohere with their own.)

Perhaps I am not of the right age to call myself nostalgic towards certain cornerstones of anime, though whilst watching them I fathom that I react in a similar manner as those who are. Experiencing my remastered DVD of Macross: Do You Remember Love? when up-scaled onto a HD television was somewhat stunning, even though the film is several years older than myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
I don't really think much different about older animation as I do about the newer ones. I mean if the story and characters are good (to own personal taste) I will generally like the series - though I can be a bit picky about character design now and again. I don't really go out of my way to watch older shows and generally focus on the newer ones, but a few that I enjoyed (that I can think of off the top of my head) were Cyborg 009, Ronin Warriors, and Legend of the Dragon Kings.

I am currently re-watching Legend of the Dragon Kings with my roommate.
Jen526

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
... I was getting sleepy while watching slow, slow frames as people spoke for like, thirty seconds with only mouth flaps moving.

Funny, that's happened to me just last night... only the show I was watching was Tokyo Majin. Everyone standing around talking and talking and talking and talking.

I don't think you can chalk that problem up to the age of the animation.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Jen526 wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
... I was getting sleepy while watching slow, slow frames as people spoke for like, thirty seconds with only mouth flaps moving.

Funny, that's happened to me just last night... only the show I was watching was Tokyo Majin. Everyone standing around talking and talking and talking and talking.

I don't think you can chalk that problem up to the age of the animation.
Exactly, that describes pretty much any 2000s Bee Train anime as well. Like Madlax, Avenger, Tsubasa Chronicle, etc.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Saving money by showing just talking faces is probably the oldest trick but it's not the problem when moving elements say things interesting enough to catch your attention Smile Stupid dialogues don't change at all.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
i actually feel like the old style can add a certain sense of grittiness and improve an anime with a darker appeal but outside of that I simply cannot stand it anymore, used to be able to but now i am just spoiled
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The age of the title or animation is not important to me. What is important is the story and characters. If those are good then I'd watch it, and it would be an enjoyable title whether it was made back then or closer to now. I do make a good effort to go back and watch things I missed. Right now, I'm slownly making my way through Fist of the North Star and Urusei Yatsura when I have time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The age of a show is not an issue with me. If it pulls me in and gets me to continue watching is all that is necessary. In any case, I expect that a lot of the shows I have would probably be considered "older" by some.

What do you consider "older" for the purpose of this discussion? Ten years and older? Five years and older? Any thing older than last year?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
What do you consider "older" for the purpose of this discussion? Ten years and older? Five years and older? Any thing older than last year?
I think that anything discussed here would satisfy the criteria.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The age of a show is not an issue with me. If it pulls me in and gets me to continue watching is all that is necessary. In any case, I expect that a lot of the shows I have would probably be considered "older" by some.

I really consider "old" to be an anime that came before the big change around 1985 towards the home video market, and when we started seeing budget climb. But there's also generally "older" which would include 1990 and earlier because of when the market had issues. 1991 and on aren't that old at all.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis: 1) Bee Train is garbage. Wouldn't even call them an animation studio since most of their shows are just music along with some occasionally moving frames. 2) I wouldn't say they're the majority though. There is usually at least something moving on the screen while someone is talking nowadays. That does happen, yes but not as often.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably missing out on a lot by refusing to watch older anime, but I really find it difficult to go back and watch older series. It's not so much the bad framerate that gets me; there are still low-budget series now that have that kicking and I can still enjoy a series like that (given a story which doesn't host a lot of poor action sequences; it works fine for slice of life etc). What shits me is character design. I watched Vision of Escaflowne and that's about as far back as I've gone - I cannot bring myself to like the series despite praise it has received from others, because the character designs shit me to no end. Maybe it's a mixture of these two factors but character designs are the most notable for me; older designs are ugly and I can't get into the story with the visual blocking the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6